http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-DyXBfKAwE

I have been learning some 3 string sweeps, and here they are, some constructive critisism would be rad as well. I know I make some funny faces here and there, I am trying to work on relaxation.
Quote by luxeion
i keep asking my dad for wood. but he keeps getting annoyed (he's working on a house). and i'm too young to go outside.

Last edited by StrykVladzimsky at Jul 12, 2011,
you're getting there man, when you start doing more advanced sweeps don't forget to use your pinky
Yeah, sure, I'll try and do that these are just some of the positions from Bleeding Mascara that I've been butchering my fingers with and it seemed far more comfortable using my ring finger.
Quote by luxeion
i keep asking my dad for wood. but he keeps getting annoyed (he's working on a house). and i'm too young to go outside.

Seriously, use your pinky. There's no way to justify playing that with your ring finger.
Apart from that, you're surely getting there.

(also, though on a different subject, you might want to change your hand position on the guitar, thumb behind the neck. Gives you more maneuverability and makes it easier to use the pinky as well.)
I do not want to have a signature anymore.
You don't follow any kind of beat or tempo, good luck when you'll be trying to sweep while actually playing any song

No seriously you have to get a metronome
Gotcha'. I've tried both, and it doesn't seem so hard to do. I'll give it a few days and I hope I'll have 'em pretty clean.
Quote by luxeion

Quote by electroMakumba
You don't follow any kind of beat or tempo, good luck when you'll be trying to sweep while actually playing any song

No seriously you have to get a metronome

Tell me about it, I know I need one. My birthday is coming up soon, I'll ask my parents for one.
Quote by luxeion

Not bad! You seem to be getting the hang of it, only critique I have to give is clean up the tone, mute the strings you're not playing, and use your pinky more.

Quote by RDSElite
Seriously, use your pinky. There's no way to justify playing that with your ring finger.
Apart from that, you're surely getting there.

(also, though on a different subject, you might want to change your hand position on the guitar, thumb behind the neck. Gives you more maneuverability and makes it easier to use the pinky as well.)

Well, if you have fat hands like me, there's not enough room on the higher frets (10+) to do sweeps with ease with your pinky.
I have pretty skinny hands, so it isn't that hard. I'll sure work on it during the next few days for sure.
Quote by luxeion

Ge that pinkie in there, son! The only other thing I have to complain about here is that your ascending bits sounded a bit faster than your descending. Try to keep the two as even as you can. Also, instead of doing a hammer on/pull off at the top, try to upstroke the top note and then pull off. That will help you to retain more economy in your movements (I noticed you were really flicking your picking hand away from the guitar on those downstrokes).
Shall definitely try that out, thanks!
Quote by luxeion

Good. Im learning sweeping too and you have timing and clean-ness of playing down alot better than my 3 string efforts so far
I played a week without an amp, due to the fact that I was on vacation. I wonder if that might have affected it in any way...Try it out..
Quote by luxeion

Quote by StrykVladzimsky
Tell me about it, I know I need one. My birthday is coming up soon, I'll ask my parents for one.

http://www.metronomeonline.com/

why buy one?

the problem with sweep picking that newbies dont get is that the tempo has to be perfect to make it sound clear, otherwise they are difficult to integrate with other licks and the rhythm part (expecially with longer sweep form, since you're basically playing a chord and you have to play it at the right time).

Write down the arpeggios that you want to practice and play it on time.. I used guitar pro to have clear in my mind what was the goal.
Better than a metronome is a program like Guitar Pro or Tuxguitar. You can just tab out what you want, set the tempo to whatever, and have it play back at that speed. I find that to be an invaluable practice tool, personally.
Try and minimize your pick motion. You're kinda flying away when you get to the end of the sweeps, which'll be a pain in the ass later on down the road.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
quite nice,
you reminded me i should work on my 3 string sweeps as well ;D
Hey it's not bad, you're definetly on the right track, but do follow the peoples advices on this thread.

One thing you MUST practice is the Rolling technique, because without it, you can throw sweep picking out the window.
Another thing, you need to move your palm up and down in sync with your fretboard fingers.
I know it's just a 3 string sweep, but try moving up and down.
Because once you hit 6 string sweeps, it's going to be hell to re learn.
Gear

Ibanez RG350DX Electric Guitar With DiMarzio Tone Zone
Academy Electric Guitar
BeaverCreek Acoustic Guitar

Roland Micro Cube Amp
Academy 15W Amp
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey Sanpera Footswitch I