Budget; probably between £500 - £750

I've been looking at heads and cabs for a while but i haven't actually looked into the ones around that price area.. I wouldn't know what's good and what isn't...

I'm currently using a Marshall AVT150X Combo Amp

I know that my dream head n cab would be the Peavey 6505+ head with a Blackstar Series 1 112 / 212 / 412 Cab (Can't remember the sizes), but they're stupidly expensive

Erm.. useful information wise.. I'd be playing a PRS SE Torero through it, I play quite heavyy stuff so I need quite a chunky tone for a low end as i play in Drop B with my band. I also wouldn't mind a good clean setting, cause we play a lot of clean stuff.

IF you need any more information, i can help..

So yeahh, what do you guys think i could get that's decent enough? :]
Thanks!
I'd go for a 6505+ half stack, then when you get some more money, upgrade the speakers later.

A 5150 II would be more budget friendly, actually.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Depending on the kind of metal the Orange TH30. It's a bit loose, but it slays for huge sounding chunky low tunings. An OD will get it tigther ofc.

And the cleans blow away the 6505 without a doubt in my mind.
Quote by beckyjc
Depending on the kind of metal the Orange TH30. It's a bit loose, but it slays for huge sounding chunky low tunings. An OD will get it tigther ofc.

I'll have to respectfully disagree. Nice as the TH30 may be, it doesn't do metal outside of NWOBHM stuff, boost or not. I think for most stuff people play in drop B (death, grindcore and associated styles) it is not a good choice. Stoner metal would sound pretty sweet with a TH30 I think, but otherwise, no.

TS, if you look for used stuff, you could afford an Engl Fireball (the 60w one) and a decent 2x12". But if used gear is not an option, you're either looking at Bugeras (the 6260, 6262 and 333(XL), though many places seem to be out of stock for some reason) or a combo:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/peavey_6505_plus_112_combo.htm

EDIT: A Vypyr Tube may also be worth a look. I have not tried it, but they have a reputation of being good high-gain amps and relatively cheap on these boards:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/peavey_vypyr_tube_120_head.htm
Last edited by TheQuailman at Jul 12, 2011,
Quote by TheQuailman
I'll have to respectfully disagree. Nice as the TH30 may be, it doesn't do metal outside of NWOBHM stuff, boost or not. I think for most stuff people play in drop B (death, grindcore and associated styles) it is not a good choice. Stoner metal would sound pretty sweet with a TH30 I think, but otherwise, no.

Yeah, it wont do death or grindcore, its not tight enough or crappy sounding (opinions..). Hence, "depending on the kind of metal". He didnt say what genres.
NWOBHM? You mean like judas priest, def leppard? Ew.

It does thrash stuff just fine and has way too much gain. Some prog stuff like tool and ofc stoner/doom.
Last edited by beckyjc at Jul 12, 2011,
at hte moment i definitely wanna stay away from Combos, because everytime we gig we're asked to bring equipment, and it's sooo much easier to just bring an amp head, and the sound just seems to pack so much more of a punch (subject to what amp head of course).

i do play new metal, like down the road of The Plot In You (which is drop B), or The Devil Wears Prada :]

Bugeras, i've heard a lot from bugeras but i've never actually HEARD the sound from it, i'll check it out on youtube now, x