Anyone used THD yellow jackets? I'm thinking of getting some for my Traynor YCV50 to make it more bedroom friendly, or more acurately be able to get 'that tone' at a lower level. It will cost me around £75 including tubes, but I'm thinking of retubing the preamp section anyway? Any thoughts, ideas?
Last edited by ragingben at Jul 12, 2011,

Apparently I sense a confusion of application here. The Yellow Jackets allow you to use a different type of power tubes in place of what you have in the YCV50. It won't turn your 50 watt monster into a timid 1 watt mouse. Even if it did, 1 watt is still plenty loud for a bedroom setting.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
I think you should be able to get 25 watts RMS for a pair in push-pull config.

Typically anything more than 5 watts IMO will be too loud for a "pushed" sound in a bedroom setting.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
EL84's will sound more broken up at a lower volume. you will lose headroom using the yellow jackets. that being said we can't tell you 2 aspects of your inquiry:

1) is this sound your after?

2) will it be quiet enough for your purposes?

we just won't be able to tell ya. it will lower the headroom and it will be more quiet, but we don't know if you'll like the lower headroom or if it'll be quiet enough for ya.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae