Hi. I'm curious as to other players little pinky abilities..

Using a typical full sized steel strung acoustic can you play:

1/ An open C shape chord and while holding that shape stretch your little finger to the 5th fret of the high e string to play a A note?

2/ An open A shape chord and while holding that shape stretch your little finger over to the 4th fret of the A string to play a C# bass note?

Thanks.
Last edited by R2-Guitar at Jul 12, 2011,
Yes and yes
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
The second is easy if you barre the A chord with your index finger.

The first is an unnecessary stretch. Why play the open C? Play the C chord on the G position (CAGED) and just barre the 5th fret of the e string with your index.
Quote by pigeonmafia
Yes and yes

Do you know the scale length of your guitar?
On a 25.5" Scale, Yes and Yes.

Care to attempt the Shawn lane chord?

I believe that he actually adds another note for the bass on the E string, and it requires you to do a slant barre on the E and B string while keeping the e string open, but I forgot the note because it would break a normal man's hands.

e-0-
B-6-
G-12-
D-10-
A-8-
E---
Quote by Life Is Brutal
On a 25.5" Scale, Yes and Yes.

Care to attempt the Shawn lane chord?

I believe that he actually adds another note for the bass on the E string, and it requires you to do a slant barre on the E and B string while keeping the e string open, but I forgot the note because it would break a normal man's hands.

e-0-
B-6-
G-12-
D-10-
A-8-
E---

You forgot the A

e|-0-
B|-6-
G|-12-
D|-10-
A|-8-
E|-5-

With some practice, it's not too hard. Not practical in the least, but it's a nice little stretch for your hands.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
I can do the first one based off C, but the other one's more difficult. Practice required!
My stuff

Gibson Les Paul Studio
Ibanez ADC120
Tanglewood TGRF VS
Blackstar HT20
Roland Micro Cube
Quote by Junior#1
You forgot the A

e|-0-
B|-6-
G|-12-
D|-10-
A|-8-
E|-5-

With some practice, it's not too hard. Not practical in the least, but it's a nice little stretch for your hands.

I thought it was the A, but I'm not able to play it as such, so I omit it.

Any tips for how? And yeah, its a great warm up chord.
25.5" scale
1) yes, but only barely and I wouldnt be able to go to it in a progression. It takes a second or two to set up.
2) yes, this one is like super easy. Not to be snyde or anything, but I really dont see this being a problem for anyone but children.
"When losers say it's over with you know that it's a lie
The gods made heavy metal and it's never gonna die"
Quote by Junior#1
You forgot the A

e|-0-
B|-6-
G|-12-
D|-10-
A|-8-
E|-5-

does he eve actually ever use that in rhythm in a piece? i doubt it.
Classical Guitarist
Quote by Life Is Brutal
I thought it was the A, but I'm not able to play it as such, so I omit it.

Any tips for how? And yeah, its a great warm up chord.

First, work on barring your index on a slant to hit the A and F while leaving the e string open. After you get that, work on playing the notes on the A, D, and G strings (F, C, G) with your other fingers. Then try to put them together. At least that's how I did it.

Quote by Zep_shizzle
does he eve actually ever use that in rhythm in a piece? i doubt it.

Of course he never did, but that's not the point. When he played that, he was just showing off. It was never meant to be useful at all.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.