I need some advice on a potential guitar trade...

Someone recently offered to trade me a brand new PRS Special 22 (one month old) for my 2004 R7 Les Paul Goldtop. Does anybody know how these stack up next to each other? I've never played a PRS so I don't have anything to go off of.

I've read the specs of the Special 22 and it sounds intriguing - mahogany body with a maple top, PRS 245 humbuckers (with coil splits) and a Lindy Fralin single coil in the middle, locking tuners, tremolo and a wide/thin mahogany neck. It definitely has a lot more in the way of overall features than my Les Paul (at least on paper).

I wasn't really planning on getting rid of my Goldtop, but I have to be honest, the PRS in emerald green looks beautiful. It has a really nice flame top. And green happens to be my favorite color But how does it stand next to something as iconic as a '57 reissue? How do they play? Are they of the same caliber as a Gibson Custom Shop?

Price-wise I think they're about even. GC has a used Special 22 in stock for about $2400, which is about what I would get for my Goldtop if I sold it. I guess I'm more concerned with the overall worth, not just the price. In other words, the Goldtop is a collectible guitar and it represents a piece of musical history. What's the overall consensus on the PRS?
Current Gear:
2002 Gibson Les Paul Standard
'57 AVRI Fender Stratocaster
MIJ Fender Jaguar Special HH
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2
Last edited by 57Goldtop at Jul 12, 2011,
As far as reputation and price, I think they're dead even.
The quality ought to be close.
The thing to consider are that the PRS is going to sound and feel a lot different than your goldtop. It certainly has a lot more tones available, but that super fat LP crunch is not one of them. You're really going to have to try it out to see if you like the sound.

From your post it sounds mostly like you love your goldtop but you're tempted by a guitar that's a nice color and are thinking of buying it in the hopes that it's more prestigious or worth more. That seems like a mistake to me. If you love the looks and it sounds better than your goldtop, get it. If you're trying to convince yourself to trade a guitar because you think you're getting a good deal on a far superior instrument, don't do it. It's not a great deal. It's an even trade, and it's foolish to do it unless you like the other guitar a whole lot more.
the gibson is worth about a $500 to a grand more than the PRS.

an R7 sells for $3500 new, some have now price dropped to $2800 ish.

the prs sells for $2400.

figure an honest 60-80% of that value used. albeit that is a newer model PRS but whatever.

build quality wise and playability, they should be on par with each other. both are great instruments.

if you want a versatile prs for cheap, look into a used CU22 or CU24 in emerald green. it's a common color and they can be had for as little as $1400 used. another option is a bolt on CE22 or CE24, they came in emerald green as well and go for $900-1100 on the used market.

unless you are completely out of love with the r7 and blown away by the prs, i wouldn't consider the trade.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by Roc8995
From your post it sounds mostly like you love your goldtop but you're tempted by a guitar that's a nice color and are thinking of buying it in the hopes that it's more prestigious or worth more.

Pretty much... although I think it's more that I'm concerned that I'd be trading for something that's a lesser instrument, not necessarily that I'm hoping to get something better. Does that make sense? I'm ok with an even trade if that's what it is.

I do really like the look of the PRS, but I'm trying to keep some common sense in the decision. I don't want it to be based on looks alone.

Your comment about losing the LP crunch kind of concerns me. I like that crunch. So the PRS really has a different tone to it? I wouldn't think it'd be that different since it's a mahogany body guitar with humbuckers. Obviously the R7 is a solid hunk of wood, so it's going to have it's own tone. I just didn't think the PRS would be significantly different.

Is there another PRS model that the Special 22 is similar to? I might run to GC at lunch and play one for a while to see if I'd even like it. That way I won't waste this guy's time if it's really not my thing.

Any other thoughts??
Current Gear:
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2
Quote by gregs1020
the gibson is worth about a $500 to a grand more than the PRS.

an R7 sells for $3500 new, some have now price dropped to $2800 ish.

the prs sells for $2400.

figure an honest 60-80% of that value used. albeit that is a newer model PRS but whatever.

build quality wise and playability, they should be on par with each other. both are great instruments.

if you want a versatile prs for cheap, look into a used CU22 or CU24 in emerald green. it's a common color and they can be had for as little as $1400 used. another option is a bolt on CE22 or CE24, they came in emerald green as well and go for $900-1100 on the used market.

unless you are completely out of love with the r7 and blown away by the prs, i wouldn't consider the trade.

Hmmm... good points. I didn't seek out the trade, so it's not like I'm on the hunt for an emerald green PRS. Although a CU22 or 24 would be a good way to pick up one for less. I probably wouldn't spend the cash right now, but it's an idea.

I'm definitely not out of love with the R7, that's for sure.
Current Gear:
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2
both nice guitars but i would keep the Les Paul. i think you would regret the trade in the long run. IMO
the way i generally describe PRS is its a lot thicker than a Fender crunch, but not so much as a Gibson. Its a nice balance between the two. I might do it because honestly i love the wide/thin neck profile and its still a very quality instrument. But there's just something special about the LP tone other guitars cant do, espcially clean tones. Try it out and if its love at first strum, go for it. But unless it absolutely hands down beats your Gibson i would keep what you have
Quote by 57Goldtop
Your comment about losing the LP crunch kind of concerns me. I like that crunch. So the PRS really has a different tone to it? I wouldn't think it'd be that different since it's a mahogany body guitar with humbuckers. Obviously the R7 is a solid hunk of wood, so it's going to have it's own tone. I just didn't think the PRS would be significantly different.

It is significantly different. It's got a thinner body, longer scale length, and a trem. It's a good sounding guitar, but it's brighter than a Les Paul and not nearly as fat. If you like the LP crunch, you might not like the PRS.

As schecter guy said, a PRS is an in-between balance of Fender and Gibson. That's a good approximation of what this one sounds like. It's about two pounds of mahogany short of the LP tone.
Quote by 57Goldtop
Hmmm... good points. I didn't seek out the trade, so it's not like I'm on the hunt for an emerald green PRS. Although a CU22 or 24 would be a good way to pick up one for less. I probably wouldn't spend the cash right now, but it's an idea.

I'm definitely not out of love with the R7, that's for sure.

actually to be fair after looking around, on the used market they are probably closer to $500 apart at most.

but you kind of answered it yourself, there really isn't a good reason to get rid of your r7.

edit: colin do i have to break out my scale? it's a pound difference at most unless that's a 10 pound r7.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Jul 12, 2011,
Quote by gregs1020
but you kind of answered it yourself, there really isn't a good reason to get rid of your r7.

Sounds like maybe it's just a case of being antsy and wanting something new. Buy a couple pedals! You'll feel better.
Quote by Roc8995
Sounds like maybe it's just a case of being antsy and wanting something new. Buy a couple pedals! You'll feel better.

so this is how you guys get all those pedals.
Quote by gregs1020
edit: colin do i have to break out my scale? it's a pound difference at most unless that's a 10 pound r7.

Haha.. sometimes it feels like 10 pounds! I think I ordered mine with extra lead in the ass...

Anyway, good comments everybody. I think I'm set on hanging on to the goldtop. As I said before, I wasn't planning on getting rid of it I was just intrigued by the offer.

And I already have a nice American Strat, so I like having the LP around as a contrast. It sounds like the PRS might be too close to the Strat tone-wise and I'd probably regret the decision. Thanks for helping me keep my head on straight!

Now, on to those new pedals... A Catalinbread Dirty Little Secret has been calling my name for a while
Current Gear:
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2
Quote by gregs1020

R7 should be right around 9 pounds, PRS should be what, 7.5? The PRS has a maple neck where the R7 has mahogany, so there's your missing half pound. Plus the PRS has the trem, which displaces some mahogany.
Actually I think the neck on the Special 22 is mahogany. But I doubt it's as thick as the mahogany neck on the R7.

EDIT: I just read somewhere that it actually has a maple body, not a mahogany body like I thought (the neck is mahogany though). So that would definitely mean it has a much different tone than my solid mahogany R7...
Current Gear:
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2
Last edited by 57Goldtop at Jul 12, 2011,
Looks like it has a mahogany neck and back. Greg wins this round - I'm calling it 1.25 pounds of mahogany missing.
^ hehe

TS - good call.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Jul 12, 2011,
PRS have come out with a range of models over time. I can't keep up with all of them. But I know the really good ones have a good reason to exist. They have a brighter, more harmonic sound than a Les Paul, but still have heft to them.

I like USA Les Paul Customs a lot. But if I was to wander of the ranch, I'd be checking out the $3000 PRS models for sure.
Quote by joesix
PRS have come out with a range of models over time. I can't keep up with all of them. But I know the really good ones have a good reason to exist. They have a brighter, more harmonic sound than a Les Paul, but still have heft to them.

I like USA Les Paul Customs a lot. But if I was to wander of the ranch, I'd be checking out the $3000 PRS models for sure.

Knowing you are a big fan of a LP, and if you can swing about $500 more, I highly recommend that you check out a PRS SC-58. It's an AMAZING guitar for the money.