What are the advantages of having 3 guitars in a band? Is it worth it? I'm being invited into one and I'm having second thoughts. I don't want to look like some kind of a backup man or something.
1) You can have a riff playing while 2 guitars are playing a solo.
2) The riffs that are played in unison have more power.
Am I just lacking ideas?
Last edited by Amarant at Jul 12, 2011,
harmonies with a solo on top.
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

Ya... I play in a cover band that can at times have four guitar players, and that can just get painfull. However, for some songs like Tall Trees by Matt Mays (check that tune out) theres a tonne of overdubbed guitars, so three guitars is good for that one. And ya, it adds more power to some tunes, my Tele can sound kinda thin sometimes if Im the only rythym guitar player and not using my rig.

Generally, it just gets in the way though... depends on the situation I guess
GUITARS
Burswood Acoustic
Squier Affinity Strat
Fender Tele Deluxe
BASS
Ibanez Jetking bass
AMPS
Marshall MG30DFX
Peavey max 158 bass amp
Fender Bassman 250
1979 Carvin of some sort
And some pedals
Explosions in the Sky frequently uses three guitars: One for low riffs, one for middle stuff, and another for high junk. It sounds awesome for them cuz they use a lot of harmonizing riffs and create thick ambient passages, but it all depends on how it works out for you.
My Band:
http://khamsin.bandcamp.com/

My Rig:

Fender Jaguar HH Special ->
Boss TU-2
SP Compressor
Ernie Ball VP Jr.
MXR Carbon Copy
Boss DD-20
Boss RV-5
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
Fulltone OCD
Vox AC15CC1
Check foo fighters newest album wasting light, recorded with 3 guitars, and it sound awesome.. Loads of layers and different riffs overlapping and taking over for each other.. Its difficult but if you can make it work it will sound awesome!
Quote by Tobyflyr
Check foo fighters newest album wasting light, recorded with 3 guitars, and it sound awesome.. Loads of layers and different riffs overlapping and taking over for each other.. Its difficult but if you can make it work it will sound awesome!

Dang, just got there before me.
Pretty much every metal band has 3 gutiars. Rythm guitar, lead guitar and wasn't good enough to play guitar.

All bassist jokes aside, it has advantages and disatvantages. If you got a good composer you can do inticrite harmoinies and counterpoints. However unision riffs can be a little boring and besides if you have a good bassist or a keyboard you probably dont need a 3rd guitar.
i often write music with 3 or more layers of guitars, as well as gainy stuff as what i play most (clean ambient stuff)
it gives extra depth on condition you use it in the good way and are original with it.
Gear:
PRS custom 24 (2000)
PodHD500x (cause i'm poor, upgrade soon)
Custom power amp
Homemade 2x12 (celestion V30 + G12H creamback)

HORSES BLEW FIRE (My band)
for cover bands.. it is something that I would not recommend since most bands around have 2 guitars.. but having someone around who can play guitar with another duty(such as vocal) would be a good idea since it would let you cover both songs with 2 guitars and 3.. if you are not playing in a cover band.. then it is best when you have a good composer in the group.. like corrda00 said
lol you coulld do 7chord solos.
bass plays the root, gtr1 plays the 3rd, gtr2 plays the 5th, and gtr3 plays the 7th...

It sounds like a really groovy idea, like you could come up with some crazy, bust your shit open riffs ya know what I mean? but man, if you dont come provocative, you may as well not show up.
"When losers say it's over with you know that it's a lie
The gods made heavy metal and it's never gonna die"
generally, having 3 guitars allows you to have a more "studio" like sound because you have the capacity to play several different inversions/versions of the same chords. it can really help to thicken up a sound (our keyboard player often plays a guitar to give us 3+ a bass)

however, 3 guitars can be an absolute pain in the ass to mix. it can be quite hard to get 3 guitars to stand out from one and other without having any one sound too harsh or too present in the mix
Quote by Tobyflyr

Better yet go see them live, they were awesome with three guitarists live.
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15
Epiphone Valve Junior combo
Scarlett O'Hara uses three guitars, but one of them sings clean vocals and I don't believe he can play and sing at the same time. I'm not entirely sure how their parts are split, but it never really sounds like they have more than two guitar parts going on.
There was a band in the 90's that was reasonably popular. They had three guitarists and no bass. I forget the name of the band.

White Stripes: Guitar, Vocals, Drums, no bass.

Grateful Dead: two drummers.

Sometimes people are just looking to do something different.

Three guitars is kind of a lot. Each has six strings. So that's 18 strings. Or even more strings if somebody has a seven string. Plus electric guitars cover a lot of sonic space. It's definitely a wall-of-guitar-sound.
You can tell them you don't want to be the third man behind the wheel, playing nothing but chords. Tell them you want to play lot's of solo's too, and that you would prefer a nice clean cut, you taking 33% and the other two the rest of the lead parts.

Don't forget to mix properly though.
My new project is using 3 guitarist, and you can do some really cool harmony's this way. The key is that all 3 can not be playing the same riff in the same place on the fret board at the same time always. If you do this, then you sound like a muddy cluster Fu@k, and no one wants to listen to that.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
it's harder to get 3 guitar parts to work well together, but once you've got that organised you'll probably find that the parts that work together are a lot more simplistic and sparse and very easy to play and indeed very easy to play well because you won't be having to work too hard. it's worth the effort of fine-tuning the small details, basically.

Quote by Amarant
I'm afraid it's going to sound muddy.

if it sounds muddy you're doing it wrong. the secret ingredient is listening to one another and listening to how your part goes with the other guitar parts.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Last edited by Blompcube at Jul 13, 2011,
also, i think usually the bars pay 1 set price. the more members of a band the less the take home pay is for every gig. That is why there are so many 3 piece local bands