Page 1 of 2
I know there's some out there, just wondering if anyone knows more than Meshuggah(used to use Line 6 PODs into P.A. systems).
i'm sure there are a lot of country, bluegrass, folk and jazz bands who don't use amp distortion
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Quote by Blompcube
i'm sure there are a lot of country, bluegrass, folk and jazz bands who don't use amp distortion

D=<
Well, if the BANDS> category on my Pocket POD is anything to go by: (I imagine these people use the POD occasionally rather than exclusively because these sounds are pretty wacky even if they're the sounds they actually use and not just imitations)

As I Lay Dying
Ash
Bumblefoot
Dboard Conf(?)
HawthornHts (Hawthorn Heights?)
Hoobastank
J McGorman
KSE
Maroon 5
P.O.D. (very funny)
Project 86
Razorlight
Sparta
Thursday
Vert Horizon
Volto

Err... yeah. Not heard most of them.
And So I Watch You From Afar used one of the Blackstar distorion pedals into a single channel Marshall when I saw them live. The tone was a-freakin'-mazing too.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
David Gilmour too right?
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
James or Kirk from Metallica used a Rat for a while, didn't they? Jack White uses a Big Muff...just some more popular names.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Don't think there is a JCM9002203...there is a JCM800 2203 though. The only single channel JCM900 out there is the SL-X, as far as I know.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
The Killers (tubescreamer, Rat, etc.)
Coldplay (tubescreamer, Rat, etc.)
David Crowder Band (tubescreamer, Rat, etc.)
The Strokes (Visual Sound Jekyll and Hyde)
Switchfoot (Jon-various overdrives, Drew-tubescreamer, fuzzes, boost, etc.)
Lincoln Brewster (Boss BD-2, Boss OD-3, Line 6 Pod Live XT3, Axe-FX)
The Afters (various overdrives including a Bad Monkey and an OCD)

Can't think of any really heavy guitarists or anyone who plays more than a crunchy rock sound though. Most of the really rocking guys and the heavier guys will be using amp distortion. It just sounds bigger.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
Quote by xSacrilegex
D=<

well, they match up to what you specified

i think a lot of the distorted tones of the '70s that are on record came from pedals rather than amp dirt. bands were able to crank up their large amps on stage, but that was the only way to get an overdriven tone out of an amplifier in those days, until amps with master volumes started appearing. in the studio, cranking up a 100 watt tube amp wasn't really very practical - some people used to crank smaller amps in the studio, which can sound as huge as any 100 watt stack in that situation, and others used to use fuzz and overdrive pedals.

that's generally the reason why so many bands from that era sounded so different live to how they sounded in the studio.
Rig Winter 2017:

The black keys use amp distortion. Dan just likes to use fuzz a lot.

Also I think Jimmy Page plugged straight into some kind of pre/poweramp then went straight into the soundboard on the song Black Dog.
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15
Epiphone Valve Junior combo
Last edited by grungebaby at Jul 12, 2011,
Quote by grungebaby
The black keys use amp distortion. Dan just likes to use fuzz a lot.

Also I think Jimmy Page plugged straight into some kind of pre/poweramp then went straight into the soundboard on the song Black Dog.

Yeah i heard that too, apparently a famous Beatles song which doesn't come to mind was also recorded with a mixer and had to use two preamps in series to help the cooling? something like that
Quote by xSacrilegex
I know there's some out there, just wondering if anyone knows more than Meshuggah(used to use Line 6 PODs into P.A. systems).

As far as I'm concerned, that is amp distortion, since they weren't using a physical amp to plug it into, thus they couldn't get amp distortion in the first place...

They're using the POD as their amp (preamp)...
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Oh Derek, you're such a stickler for detail.

Shut up.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by LaidBack
Oh Derek, you're such a stickler for detail.

Shut up.

Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by LaidBack
And So I Watch You From Afar used one of the Blackstar distorion pedals into a single channel Marshall when I saw them live. The tone was a-freakin'-mazing too.

you sir, have good taste.
Quote by stykerwolf
Yeah i heard that too, apparently a famous Beatles song which doesn't come to mind was also recorded with a mixer and had to use two preamps in series to help the cooling? something like that

That's right. Revolution 1 is recorded straight into the mixer. They used early solid state amps too. VOX made a series of ss amps with effects and Hey Bulldog is one of the songs recorded that way.

Hello, by the way!
Quote by LaidBack
Jack White uses a Big Muff...just some more popular names.

I think he also pushes the hell out of his Silvertones (or Swarts more recently?).
How can we forget the Red Hot Chili Peppers?

Also, I'm not entirely sure, but Incubus, given Einziger's crazy pedal board, may not use amp distortion at all.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Quote by stykerwolf

Revolution.
They DI'd the guitars into the mixing console and had to send the signal through two mic preamps in series to stop it from overheating.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Ian from Billy Talent uses a Marshall JCM900 2203 and pushes that sucker into power tube saturation territory for his gain.

Maybe as a double track or layering in the studio, but live Ian uses custom Stephenson amps 60watters from memory.
and they have 3 channels, so he uses all amp distortion except for solo's he has a Tech 21 Comptortion, and a zvex wooly mammoth
Frank Gambale used to use a digital preamp into a very powerful rackmount power amp, but I believe he has gone back to regular amplifiers these days.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Sublime used a Boss Os-2 pedal...
I'm so happy. I get to eat a muffin.
Quote by space aids
You are so happy to eat a muffin it's kinda scary.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Goes around tryina light dudes on fire.
Quote by MakinLattes
Too much Sublime.

I tell a lie, there is no such thing.
Quote by LaidBack
David Gilmour too right?

He doesn't use a Pod type thing straight into the PA, which is what the TS is asking. He uses things like big muffs and fuzz faces to get his distortion but it is sanitised by running them into a Hiwatt tube head.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
He doesn't use a Pod type thing staright into the PA which is what the TS is asking. He uses things like big muffs and fuzz faces to get his distortion but it is sanitised by running them into a Hiwatt tube head.

J.J. French and Eddie Ojeda of Twisted Sister now do the same thing. French said in a recent interview that he shows up at a gig with two guitars, a wireless setup and a POD. This after spending countless thousands of dollars on vintage amplifiers over the years.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by Reincaster

Also, I'm not entirely sure, but Incubus, given Einziger's crazy pedal board, may not use amp distortion at all.

Pretty sure he uses Mesa amps (Trem-o-verbs I think?) If not, Certain Shade of Green is the greatest Mesa simulation ever.
Music Man JPX 6
Ibanez RGT220H
Fender 50th Anniversary Deluxe Strat
93 Jackson Std Professional (Japan)
03 Gibson LP Special
Alvarez AD60SC

Mesa Single Rectifier/Mesa 4x12 cab
Mesa Transatlantic TA-15
Hughes & Kettner Triplex
Pink Floyd, Opeth.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
This thread. I don't even...

Just because a guitarist uses a dirt pedal doesn't mean they don't need the amps distortion as well. Have you thought about what that signal would sound like if the amp was removed and it was guitar > pedal > PA?

Some of the guitarists mentioned certainly would count but I think guys like Frusciante, Gilmore, etc would not have their signature sound without their amps

Quote by NeXEkho
Well, if the BANDS> category on my Pocket POD is anything to go by: (I imagine these people use the POD occasionally rather than exclusively because these sounds are pretty wacky even if they're the sounds they actually use and not just imitations)

As I Lay Dying
Ash
Bumblefoot
Dboard Conf(?)
HawthornHts (Hawthorn Heights?)
Hoobastank
J McGorman
KSE
Maroon 5
P.O.D. (very funny)
Project 86
Razorlight
Sparta
Thursday
Vert Horizon
Volto

Err... yeah. Not heard most of them.

This is pretty failed logic too. Because there is a preset on your toy for these bands then that means they must not use traditional amps? I can tell you 311, KSE and POD use amps. Just because they are on the Pod does not mean they use them (Pods).
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jul 13, 2011,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Some of the guitarists mentioned certainly would count but I think guys like Frusciante, Gilmore, etc would not have their signature sound without their amps

that's a good point - not using an amp to get your distortion does not mean that the amp is irrelevant, because all amps have a certain sonic signature that is unique to that model that nothing is going to cancel out or cover up, even if you want it to.

this is the same reason why everyone says "what you really need is a new amp" when someone makes a thread saying "my distorted tone sucks, what distortion pedal/pickups/guitar should i buy to fix it, btw my amp is a <insert cheap amp here>"
Rig Winter 2017:

Sonic Youth use Klon Centaurs into clean Fender amps
Wilco use Crowther Hotcakes into clean AC30's
The National use Centaurs into Penn Bassman copies
Radiohead use pretty much any overdrive pedal imaginable.
Most of alternative/indie rock is built around pedal distortion, actually.

Quote by Reincaster

I remember reading an interview with Einziger and he said he mostly uses a cranked Marshall head for his distortion. I think his crazy pedalboard is mostly delays and modulations.
Gibson ES-137C
Parker P8EN
AC Custom Special P Bass
Last edited by sonic_777111 at Jul 13, 2011,
Quote by LaidBack

Are you referring to the band from Ireland? If so, they are one of very few bands that gave me chills up my spine whilst seeing them live. Awesome band.
Gear
Bugera 6262 Head
Harley Benton G212 Vintage
Ibanez RGA 121 Prestige
ESP LTD DJ600
Fender USA Stratecaster
Maxon O808
TC Electronic Flashback Delay
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss T-U3 Tuner Pedal
Page 1 of 2