So I was playing Don't Cry and my guitar teacher tells me that I shouldn't alternate pick the arpeggios. This is getting annoying, first I'm told to alt pick everything, to the point where he points out that I must have made a mistake if I end a passage on the wrong stroke ("should end on a down, you ended on up, try again"). But then I play this with alternate picking and now all of a sudden it should follow the direction of the strings.

Is this for real? I'm finally comfortable with the song and now I'm supposed to relearn to play it? Not to mention it's not like the song just plays down a chord and then up one, it jumps around, plays diads, all sorts of things, why not just make it consistent and alt pick all the way?
Teachers don´t usually tell you directly what they are aiming for, which is annoying, but I´ll tell you, my best guess, is that you should remember he is not teaching you the song, he is using the song to teach you how to play guitar, he first thaught you alternate picking and such and he is probably gonna teach you "sweep picking" now and he is not only teaching you techniques but also how to move on the fretboard and such, so just DO AS HE SAYS HE IS A TEACHER FOR A REASON, just listen to him, I quit lessons some years ago and it´s something I will always regret.
My Gear:
Oh wait, no one cares

"Buckethead is probably twice as good a guitar player as me and Slash combined" - Dave Mustaine
Quote by KewlBeans
Teachers don´t usually tell you directly what they are aiming for, which is annoying, but I´ll tell you, my best guess, is that you should remember he is not teaching you the song, he is using the song to teach you how to play guitar, he first thaught you alternate picking and such and he is probably gonna teach you "sweep picking" now and he is not only teaching you techniques but also how to move on the fretboard and such, so just DO AS HE SAYS HE IS A TEACHER FOR A REASON, just listen to him, I quit lessons some years ago and it´s something I will always regret.

Depends, is he a good teacher? I once had a teacher, I learnt absolutely nothing from him. I actually knew more than he did.
If you can sweep/economy pick then you might as well sweep/economy pick them.

It's up to you. It seems weird that a teacher would be so particular. Try learning both as well as you can, it never hurts to have more tricks up your sleeve.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
I used to alternate pick it, but now I economy pick it, when you get the hang of it it's much easier. Just do as he says.... Unless he tells you to bend over, then you need to run!
It's probably more about accents than anything. If you pick them all the same way, they will all sound even. If you don't you'll get some that are accented and some that aren't, and it will give a wierd feel to the song.