Currently I'm using a MIM Strat with d'addario 12s. I played a PRS Soapbar SE the other day and I loved the extra bite that the p90s gave. (I use Texas Specials in my strat) My EQ on my Fender Hot Rod Deluxe is usually at Treble and Bass at 7, and then my Mids at 10. Is there any gear, preferably pedals or string brands, that i can get that will add some more bite to my tone?

Thanks in advance!
-Matt
"The most important thing about music is energy and emotion, not how well you can play. Technique should be a tool to achieve your vision, not the other way around."
-Jeff Tuttle

More guitar, less ultimate-guitar!
I'd turn down your mids a little, maybe like 5 or 6. Also, an Ibanez TS9/TS808 or something similar (Keeley, Maxon) would give you a bit more crunch and bite to your tone. I'd also possibly go down a little in string gauge, unless you've got hands like SRV.
Well I prefer 9 gauge strings, in my opinion they sound better. As for the EQ, I think increasing the treble could give you a little more "bite"?
Well I've been using 12 for over a year, i love the tone that they add to open chords and my leads are fine with them. As far as tone though, I'm pretty happy with it I'm just looking for a little bit more 'bite.' A little bit more treble on the note attacks. I'll try playing with the EQ though. I have an MXR Micro Amp that boosts the signal and cleans it up a little bit. Do the tubes of your amp have that much to do with your tone?
"The most important thing about music is energy and emotion, not how well you can play. Technique should be a tool to achieve your vision, not the other way around."
-Jeff Tuttle

I think a tubescreamer or overdrive will add a bit of "bite". Like polishedbullet said, a ts9/ts808
Rig:
Jackson SLSMG/Ibanez S470QS/Charvel DS-1 -> JCA100H/BV50H -> Carvin V212

Quote by JamSessionFreak
Some of my farts last longer than Axe does.
Bite, as in low end crunch, or high end twang? If you are not getting the high end twang with those settings, then you must have hearing issues. Fender is not known for low end crunch.

Based on you liking the P-90's, I'm guessing you want more low end crunch, which you gonna need a better amp to get that from a strat, and maybe some better pickups.
The MXR Micro Amp should drive your preamp tubes a little harder if it's in your signal chain, and boost the actual volume only if it's your effects loop. At least that's what it did in my amp. And 12AX7 tubes are high gain for what it's worth in tube terms, but different brands can influence your tone. I'd check out NOS, JJ, Mullard, and even Ruby if you're on a tight budget. Experimenting with 12AT7 and other tube types could also give you a different tone.
Try upping the gain a little. That should help.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Just throw money at it. You'll get a result eventually.
Quote by Natrone
I'm a pretty hardcore Christian. I would like to sincerely apologize that you ran into that little fucktard

Quote by mystique facade
dale-banez made a fool of himself..lol

my gear:

oh wait, no one cares
New pick-ups would solve that problem in a heart-beat. EMG-81's rock the house.
Quote by MaddMann274
Well I prefer 9 gauge strings, in my opinion they sound better. As for the EQ, I think increasing the treble could give you a little more "bite"?

I do think 8's and 9's need more body (in my particular case), I used those gauges when I was a teenager, now I use 10's and 11's and I love the expression with those, specially with vibrato, bendings and unfretted notes. Note: I have strong attack, so maybe that's one of the reasons these strings work so good for me (I love D'Addario). It depends on the tuning you are playing too... I play standard with tuning on my Strat (10's with low bottom end) and dropped C (11's) with my Viper.
Last edited by Perverockstar69 at Jul 12, 2011,
Okay, it sounds better. I slapped on new strings, moved the treble up to 9, mids down to 9, added a tiny bit of gain and i got that extra bite. I feel like im being nit picky now, but around what settings are a nice warm tone?
-Jeff Tuttle

Nevermind, I got it. Thanks a lot everyone!
-Jeff Tuttle