http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-14122455

Hacker group Anonymous has released a cache of data it claims to have stolen from US defence consultant Booz Allen Hamilton.

A file containing more than 90,000 e-mail addresses plus passwords, logins and other information was put on The Pirate Bay file-sharing site.

The group said it stole the information by targeting a poorly protected server on the defence firm's network.

Booz Allen Hamilton declined to comment on the incident.

I'm growing tired of them not getting anything even remotely interesting from these hacks

,--.-'-,--.
\ /-~-\ /
/ )' a a `( \
( ( ,---. ) )
THIS WAS MEANT TO BE A PIG
\ `(_o_o_)' /
\ `-' /
| |---| |
[_] [_]
Email addresses and passwords? Might as well have stolen Minesweeper and Notepad from the Accessories Folder in his computer.
They're boring me now. Actually, they always have done, ever since they thought they were so cool and 4chan was their 'rad secret website'. Fuck off.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by EMGs_rule

I'm growing tired of them not getting anything even remotely interesting from these hacks

Hence why you're making a thread about it.
Quote by Trowzaa
Fuck off.

Totally agree.
The only thing worse than peole walking around wearing /b/ and 'Anon is legion' tshirts are the people that scowl at them and say 'Rules 1&2 man' as if it's some massive secret that they are keeping.

Although to be fair I saw a guy wearing an Anon tshirt at a gig I was playing the other night, and I did scowl at him. But not because he was breaking the rules, it was because he was a twat wearing a /b/ tshirt.
I'm sure Anonymous consists of maybe a dozen people who actually know about hacking, and over 9000 loud teenagers who don't contribute anything, but call themselves a part of the movement because no-one can tell them they aren't.
Quote by sashki
I'm sure Anonymous consists of maybe a dozen people who actually know about hacking, and over 9000 loud teenagers who don't contribute anything, but call themselves a part of the movement because no-one can tell them they aren't.

This
🙈 🙉 🙊
Quote by metal4eva_22
Hence why you're making a thread about it.

Just to get other people's opinions, start a discussion maybe?

,--.-'-,--.
\ /-~-\ /
/ )' a a `( \
( ( ,---. ) )
THIS WAS MEANT TO BE A PIG
\ `(_o_o_)' /
\ `-' /
| |---| |
[_] [_]
stolen from US defence consultant Booz Allen Hamilton.

targeting a poorly protected server on the defence firm's network.

These two should never be mentioned in the same article. The people "hacking" into the databases aren't hacking at all. They're using tools they can get FREE from the internet.

It's a shitty way of showing the world "HEY YOU'RE INFORMATION IS NOT SAFE, DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!" but I think it'll start working eventually. That's my take on it.

EDIT: As for not being interesting, it's not really supposed to be. But you can go through and take random e-mail/password combos and try to get into e-mail/facebook? I don't know,
Write your own lyrics or poetry? Post them HERE for a crit.
Follow me on Twitter
Last edited by brandon369852 at Jul 12, 2011,
I fail to see how this fits with the mission statement they always rant about from their pedestal.
What?! There's a clean channel on my amp?!

Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
omfg i totally forgot about that, you sir are jesus christ.
Quote by Casketcreep
Totally agree.
The only thing worse than peole walking around wearing /b/ and 'Anon is legion' tshirts are the people that scowl at them and say 'Rules 1&2 man' as if it's some massive secret that they are keeping.

Although to be fair I saw a guy wearing an Anon tshirt at a gig I was playing the other night, and I did scowl at him. But not because he was breaking the rules, it was because he was a twat wearing a /b/ tshirt.

It's worse when the little kids spout memes on Facebook followed by one of those annoying 'XDD' faces. I haven't been on /b/ in years and I really don't miss it.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Anonymous are nothing but attention whores with a lot of free time in their hands.
I have no sig
Quote by shikkaka
I fail to see how this fits with the mission statement they always rant about from their pedestal.

I think it conforms perfectly with their mission statement? From what I gather, Anonymous is showing the world that the people you're trusting your information with does not have the security needed to protect it, and they're showing that.

Ever since they're been "working" with LulzSec, I'm fairly certain that's their mission as of late (at least on twitter anyway).
Follow me on Twitter
Quote by brandon369852
I think it conforms perfectly with their mission statement? From what I gather, Anonymous is showing the world that the people you're trusting your information with does not have the security needed to protect it, and they're showing that.

Ever since they're been "working" with LulzSec, I'm fairly certain that's their mission as of late (at least on twitter anyway).

I was under the impression that they were hacktivists promoting internet freedom and freedom of speech not be internet security consultants.

Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
Does the mission statement matter if it's justified? Instead of debating what it is, are they justified in doing so, is the better question.
Follow me on Twitter
Quote by sashki
That sounds about right. I'm sure the actual members of Anon are actually doing the real hacking. They just let the little kids hack the amateur shit because it spreads an attitude of chaos. Based on that video Anon did awhile back, any form of chaos resulting from hacking is a good thing to them.

Imho, hackers are scum. They usually attack people who did nothing to harm the hackers themselves. But hey -- let's cause some havoc in the normal lives of innocent people and corporations.
no. Stealing people private information is not justified. ever. And frankly, this just seems like a 'for the lulz' hack.

Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
But it was a US defense's firm website! Shouldn't a website, ANY WEBSITE, that has information that the public trust to the owners be secured?

It's not like any of the real "hackers" of Anonymous have a vast knowledge of hacking. They use SQL-injection, a method obtainable online for free. Anyone with Google can do it. They could just say "we hacked into your website and stole all this information" but releasing it is when the public will say "I'm tired of these fucking kids posting my information. Websites that are supposed to be secure, GET secure so they stop."
Follow me on Twitter
Quote by brandon369852
But it was a US defense's firm website! Shouldn't a website, ANY WEBSITE, that has information that the public trust to the owners be secured?

It's not like any of the real "hackers" of Anonymous have a vast knowledge of hacking. They use SQL-injection, a method obtainable online for free. Anyone with Google can do it. They could just say "we hacked into your website and stole all this information" but releasing it is when the public will say "I'm tired of these fucking kids posting my information. Websites that are supposed to be secure, GET secure so they stop."

So its ok for me to steal all your shit as long as your doors were unlocked?

I would also wager that the information they stole was on a less secure server than the locations of all the US nuclear missile subs, and the real names of all our covert operatives.

Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
If I was the owner of the house, and I had a friend's xBox laying right inside an open door, it would be my responsibility to shut that door, and lock it.

And that's fine, lists of e-mail/passwords aren't more important than nuclear missile subs, but does that mean it shouldn't be secured?
Follow me on Twitter
you didn't answer the question though. I agree with you that it was your responsibility to lock the door and protect the things you claim ownership of. But does that make stealing any less wrong? If I were caught should I be punished? Should you, or the authorities, even attempt to pursue me?

Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
I dislike them 'hacking group', I despise 4chan, I wish they'd **** off and do something with their lives.

If there are any real hackers that also happen to be activists in anon then I think they should just get out of anon because they're not making any difference at all, apart from annoying of people.
It didn't take long to realise
The safest place was not her arms, but her eyes
Where she can't see you
For her gaze, it blisters;
Grey skin to cinders
Quote by shikkaka
you didn't answer the question though. I agree with you that it was your responsibility to lock the door and protect the things you claim ownership of. But does that make stealing any less wrong? If I were caught should I be punished? Should you, or the authorities, even attempt to pursue me?

Yes, stealing is wrong. Sorry, I am on the same page with you. But regardless, email/password lists are different than xboxes (just like nuclear codes).

The point I'm trying to make is if I'm trusting my friend with anything that is mine, I expect him to lock his doors. If not, I'm expecting someone to come and take it (or that's what Anonymous is trying to get the public to expect).
Follow me on Twitter
Quote by brandon369852
These two should never be mentioned in the same article. The people "hacking" into the databases aren't hacking at all. They're using tools they can get FREE from the internet.

It's a shitty way of showing the world "HEY YOU'RE INFORMATION IS NOT SAFE, DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!" but I think it'll start working eventually. That's my take on it.

EDIT: As for not being interesting, it's not really supposed to be. But you can go through and take random e-mail/password combos and try to get into e-mail/facebook? I don't know,

So if you can do it for free, it's not hacking?

They're gaining unauthorized access to a website using software vulnerabilities and releasing classified information contained within. That's hacking.
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

Quote by Casketcreep
peole walking around wearing /b/ and 'Anon is legion' tshirts

Is that seriously a thing that actually happens in the actual universe?
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Last edited by whalepudding at Jul 12, 2011,
Quote by brandon369852
^I guess just because these other hack groups were pissed at them for saying they were hackers when they weren't real "hackers"

http://gopaljos.blogspot.com/2011/06/lulzsec-hackers-website-hacked-by.html

In my opinion, it's just immature kids hating that LulzSec got all his publicity. It's akin to us hating Justin bieber or the Jonas Brothers, saying they're not real musicians.

They have a good point, but it doesn't make much of a difference.

I actually kind of like what all these hacker groups are doing. It's bringing the internet more into the real world and letting politicians know that us younger kids have a voice as well, and we are something to be concerned about.
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

Last edited by fearofthemark at Jul 12, 2011,
Quote by fearofthemark
In my opinion, it's just immature kids hating that LulzSec got all his publicity. It's akin to us hating Justin bieber or the Jonas Brothers, saying they're not real musicians.

Hahaha, I never thought of it like that. Good call.
Follow me on Twitter
Maybe if we stop paying attention they'll go away.

So please, stop giving them the attention they want.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax

Imho, hackers are scum. They usually attack people who did nothing to harm the hackers themselves. But hey -- let's cause some havoc in the normal lives of innocent people and corporations.

A corporation has no life, despite what your state would tell you.

But its ok, you can sleep tight.

Also: For those saying acts like this have no purpose, you should look for Julian Assange's writings on conspiracies sometime.

Now, now, not the crazy type of conspiracies, but the fact that the state, the media, industry, and the military all collude on certain interests.

They don't meet up in dark rooms, no need when they control the flow of information. Break up their own modes of communication, they go into paranoia, closing those channels and becoming less effective.
I walk the line between fantasy and reality. One is more fun, the other is where the food is.
Last edited by Cap'n Braid at Jul 12, 2011,