Page 1 of 2
Source

More than a dozen incidents of harassment and vandalism, including attempted arson, have been reported along a section of Prutsman Road in the Town of Troupsburg.

The Steuben County Sheriff's Office in Bath has been investigating the incidents, most of them directed against members of the Amish community.

Sheriff Joel Ordway said he would not want to characterize the situation as attacks on the Amish, as they have not ruled out the Amish as suspects. Also, while the majority of incidents appear to be directed toward selected members of the Amish community, other residents of Prutsman Road are also being affected, he said.

"We've been working on this for three weeks," Ordway said. "I've been up there personally myself twice talking to who they call the bishop of the community overseeing the Amish in that area.

"In this case, they're basically being terrorized up there in the late hours at night with objects striking the house and such," Ordway said. "They keep to themselves until it gets to the point where they can't tolerate it, and we've intervened."

Investigators and deputies from the sheriff's office have investigated until midnight or 1 a.m. using technology such as night vision equipment and thermal imaging devices, he said. They hope to identify whoever is responsible for the incidents that started out as vandalism but appear to be escalating.

Incidents have included the theft of a digital camera, objects being thrown, windows being broken and two sheriff's patrol vehicles being struck by objects.

There was an attempted arson on one barn, where a lighter was recovered, Ordway said. Nearby, a hay wagon was set on fire last weekend, and some passers-by saw it and pulled it out of the barn before it caught fire, he said.

I think it's terrible that such peaceful people are being tormented like this. At least their non-Amish neighbors are helping them, giving me hope that people still stand up for others.

You thoughts, Pit?
I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy

Quote by ErikLensherr

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
There have been like 8 threads related to Amish people in the last week. Coincidence?
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
You are becoming the Amish guy.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
I don't think anyone should be harassed. However I don't like at all what the Amish do to their children, and I don't think it should be allowed.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
The zip companies won't stand for any more shit from the Amish.
The DNA results show that Jeremy Kyle is a nob.

Quote by titsmcgee852
I want to look at your sexual naked body.
Humans are sad, sad animals.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Obviously this is not an isolated incident and so seems quite peculiar to me. Really, who would be so hostile toward a group that is nonresistant by virtue?

I really doubt the possibility that the Amish are themselves responsible, like for insurance money or something, since they typically don't buy insurance or accept government assistance. In fact this is probably seen as an opportunity for them to come together as a community (e.g. ceremonial "barn-raising").

Anyway, it's a bad situation regardless. I definitely feel for the amish.
Quote by neversleeps84
The Amish are allowed to use digital cameras?

Quote by Dream Floyd
Um... what?

Non-Amish are being harassed too.

Quote by ErikLensherr

This is quite sad. These people don't even get in fistfights. Why would anyone want to harass them?

Edit:
Quote by zgr0826
Non-Amish are being harassed too.

So, it's just somebody harassing anyone in the area? I guess I gathered from your quoted excerpt that it was only Amish people. Doesn't change the fact that this is a sad situation.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Jul 12, 2011,
There have been a lot of Amish in the news lately.
Quote by UntilISleep
You have excellent taste in literature, dear sir

Quote by Primus2112
You have excellent taste in video games, good sir.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
You have terrible taste in signatures, idiotic sir.

kkoo
Quote by Ur all $h1t
I don't think anyone should be harassed. However I don't like at all what the Amish do to their children, and I don't think it should be allowed.

This. Brainwashing children and intentionally keeping them out of school is a big no no.

Quote by Pat_s1t
I remember Das_Skittles made me rage hard.

Quote by WCPhils
I can't stand Das_Skittles everything he says makes me mad.

Quote by due 07
Skittles is the shit you cuntles. Slob on his knob.

My Band Youtube Channel Last.fm
adding TS to the list:

Fassa: Rush
Zoot: Nick Cave
Irish: Nick Cave
Woffelz: pedophilia
Jewchords: pooping
Eric_Fail: failing
Ziggy: Amish people
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax

So, it's just somebody harassing anyone in the area? I guess I gathered from your quoted excerpt that it was only Amish people. Doesn't change the fact that this is a sad situation.

The Amish seem to be the main recipients of the harassment and vandalism.

Quote by ErikLensherr

Why the hell would an Amish have a digital camera?
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

The Amish Are Slowly Taking Over The Pit

edit: i love when i put caps lock on, and then it does this shit ^
The article was so focused on the Amish I just figured that was what they meant (about the digital camera). My bad.
Quote by BuckinFuffalo

edit: i love when i put caps lock on, and then it does this shit ^

IS IT REALLY THAT HARD TO JUST KEEP A FINGER ON THE SHIFT KEY?
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by BuckinFuffalo

As it should be.

Quote by ErikLensherr

People need to stop hating on the Amish. They make some awesome baked goods.

Not to mention Amish tourism (People coming to see the Amish. Yeah that shit happens.) is a major source of revenue in my county.
Why the f*ck would someone do that? They just want to have a peaceful life for goodness sake.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
Quote by Das_Skittles
This. Brainwashing children and intentionally keeping them out of school is a big no no.

You obviously have no idea what "rumspringa" is.

As for the cameras the Amish do not "despise technology" and even have incorporated many technologies into their culture.

Some by necessity or legal reasons (Milk pasteurization, phones are kept in barns for emergency contact, etc.)

They believe in living a simple life. They also have to abide by some laws hence the milk pasteurization and dairy equipment on farms.

They're a simple peaceful people that just want to be left alone. I have great respect for them and I'm an Atheist, not that it matters, it's just human decency.
Quote by jugglingfreak

I do know what it is, and it takes place long after they have already removed them from schooling. Kind of easy to ensure that people don't permanently leave the community very often when you've deprived them of the skills necessary to survive outside it by ending their schooling at a criminally young age.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by jugglingfreak

I know exactly what rumspringa is. And if you know anything about how rumspringa actually works, you would know that anyone who decides to leave the community following that period is completely shunned, cut off financially, and never spoken to (or of) again.

EDIT: Also, everything Urall$hit said.

Quote by Pat_s1t
I remember Das_Skittles made me rage hard.

Quote by WCPhils
I can't stand Das_Skittles everything he says makes me mad.

Quote by due 07
Skittles is the shit you cuntles. Slob on his knob.

My Band Youtube Channel Last.fm
Quote by theogonia777
adding TS to the list:

No, Jewchords likes hairy male asscrack-

oh god, why do I know that.
A local boy kicked me in the butt last week. I just smiled at him and I turned the other cheek. I really don't care, in fact, I wish him well, 'cause I'll be laughing my head off when he's burning in hell.
PM me for newts
Quote by StewieSwan
A local boy kicked me in the butt last week. I just smiled at him and I turned the other cheek. I really don't care, in fact, I wish him well, 'cause I'll be laughing my head off when he's burning in hell.

made me think of that too.
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

Quote by Steve635z
Have you 'Churned butter once or twice'?

Livin' in an Amish paradise?
Quote by theogonia777
adding TS to the list:

Fuck yeah.JPG
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Quote by fearofthemark

made me think of that too.

As it should, brother.

Quote by ErikLensherr

Quote by Das_Skittles

That's awfully harsh. By that logic, any religious family raising a child in said religion is effectively brainwashing their kid.
Page 1 of 2