So.. I think that this question of mine fits in here since.. it is not an additional accessory to the guitar or a technique.. So.. my Ibanez XPT700 has 3 magnetic pickups.. The Bridge/The Neck/The Middle.. As I change through them I can sense that they give out different sounds.. but I need more thorough information about their differences.. a professional's perspective is probably what I need..

edit: said songs instead of sounds.. thanks for correcting
Last edited by NightPhoenix at Jul 13, 2011,
errrrrm...

bridge - usually for rhythm
middle - slightly tonier
neck - lead stuff, toniest of the 3
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
bridge sounds the brightest and usually has the most out put(i think it sounds best distorted

neck sounds more bassy has a cleaner sounds(usually used for rythm and clean stuff on the guitar but also sounds real good on distortion)

middle sound is in between ^those two
think about it, the closer to the bridge saddle you get, the less the string is moving when it vibrates. so the bridge pick up only picks up small vibrations, and the neck picks up much bigger vibrations. the signal to the amp is basically the current pattern induced in the pickup coils when the strings move, so the more the strings move, the the higher the current induced in the pickup and the more defined the signal, so you get a richer sound from the neck, and a more "tinny" sound from the bridge. physicists opinion
Quote by NightPhoenix
So.. I think that this question of mine fits in here since.. it is not an additional accessory to the guitar or a technique.. So.. my Ibanez XPT700 has 3 magnetic pickups.. The Bridge/The Neck/The Middle.. As I change through them I can sense that they give out different songs.. but I need more thorough information about their differences.. a professional's perspective is probably what I need..

i assume by "songs" you meant "sounds"? well that is the difference. in the most basic terms, they sound different because of where they are located underneath the strings.

there's no rule as to what application you can use a particular pickup for, if that's what you were asking, just use which one sounds right to your ears.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
My mind is full of ****
Gear:
Shecter Omen 6 with Seymour Duncan SH-6
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Frontman 25r (crappy)
MXR CAE WAH
Digitech HardWire TL-2 Metal Distortion (Makes the amp sound not shitty)
Quote by NightPhoenix
So.. my Ibanez XPT700 has 3 magnetic pickups..

Since when were pickups (other than Peizos) not magnetic?
Where's Waldo?
Quote by DamagingExcess
My mind is full of ****

Quote by chadreed32

Hey, don't make fun of him, English might not be his first language.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Quote by kangaxxter

Sorry, wasn't trying to make fun of him, I was just confused is all.
Where's Waldo?
Quote by kangaxxter

Where did I make fun of him? He just mind ****ed me that's all LOL
Gear:
Shecter Omen 6 with Seymour Duncan SH-6
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Frontman 25r (crappy)
MXR CAE WAH
Digitech HardWire TL-2 Metal Distortion (Makes the amp sound not shitty)
Cools story, the Xiphos doesn't have 3 pickups though. TS' post was likely done through Google translator, hence all the errors.
I play Lacrosse, you should too
Quote by reeses
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
Quote by Dempsey68
errrrrm...

bridge - usually for rhythm
middle - slightly tonier
neck - lead stuff, toniest of the 3

I like how you started off with a nice sound as if to say" how can you not know this?" then you got it completely wrong
The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.
- Carl Sagan
Quote by SKArface McDank
I like how you started off with a nice sound as if to say" how can you not know this?" then you got it completely wrong

completely wrong because there is no right and wrong answer with regards to any particular pickup's application.

other than that, nobody really knows what he meant by "tonier" and "toniest" because that could mean anything...
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

+1 for him using Google Translate. I use Google Translate for French homework...

Anyway, the XPT700 has only TWO pickups.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
Quote by Woffelz
+1 for him using Google Translate. I use Google Translate for French homework...

Anyway, the XPT700 has only TWO pickups.

maybe his is modded.

Quote by chadreed32

you can get optical pickups which respond to the strings displacement rather than its velocity