I'm looking at getting a multi FX unit(I play metal/hard rock). I've heard good things about the BOSS GT-8/GT-10 and the Line 6 POD XT Live. I've also heard bad about each. It's been said that the BOSS has better effects but no modeling. The Line 6 is supposed to have good modeling but a very fizzy(unclear) sound. The stores around here have shit all for multi FX so going out and just trying them both is not an option.

Any help would be great.
You need to establish some priorities. They all do metal/hard rock. Do you want...

- Drum machine
- Looper
- Lots of footswitches
- Cheapest possible price
- Amp loop
- Midi control
- XLR outputs
- Fast switching
- Dual amp chains
Quote by fly135
You need to establish some priorities. They all do metal/hard rock. Do you want...

- Drum machine
- Looper
- Lots of footswitches
- Cheapest possible price
- Amp loop
- Midi control
- XLR outputs
- Fast switching
- Dual amp chains

Distortion, clean, reverb for metal. That's all I'm worried about. Dont care about dual amp or MIDI or too many foot switches. Looking to stay in the price of the GT-8
Quote by xSacrilegex
Distortion, clean, reverb for metal. That's all I'm worried about. Dont care about dual amp or MIDI or too many foot switches. Looking to stay in the price of the GT-8
RP500 would be my recommendation. If you want to keep the price down, go used. I've seen them go for a low as $150 on eBay. Shipping to CA may add a bit.
Quote by dopelope
I've heard good things about the Vox Tonelab($200) and the Line 6 POD HD series(HD 300 is $300,HD 500 is $500). I've used the Pod XT live and the newer HD series and I thought the amp models and tones were way better on the POD HD. Hope this helps!

Good stuff. Someone agreeing with Line 6.
I'm sure they're not great, but any idea about the Floor POD Plus?
Quote by fly135
RP500 would be my recommendation. If you want to keep the price down, go used. I've seen them go for a low as $150 on eBay. Shipping to CA may add a bit.

I've heard bad things about the Digitech Distortions and always hated their pedals, but I'll look into it.
Quote by xSacrilegex
I've heard bad things about the Digitech Distortions and always hated their pedals, but I'll look into it.

the HD series is miles ahead of the RP series.
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
The new RP series isn't surpassed by anything (stomps or amp models) on the market short of higher end rack units. Arguably you will find find specific amp models, features, or FX that may be better in another unit. But taken as a whole they are not beneath anything else in the multifx market.

If there is something specific you are looking for then another unit may have it. The Pod HD500 has many cool features that the RP doesn't have. But after seeing the opinions of many who have been comparing units the RP does well and even better in both amp modeling and distortion stomps. The Pod does have IMO better fuzz stomps.
Quote by fly135
The new RP series isn't surpassed by anything (stomps or amp models) on the market short of higher end rack units. Arguably you will find find specific amp models, features, or FX that may be better in another unit. But taken as a whole they are not beneath anything else in the multifx market.

If there is something specific you are looking for then another unit may have it. The Pod HD500 has many cool features that the RP doesn't have. But after seeing the opinions of many who have been comparing units the RP does well and even better in both amp modeling and distortion stomps. The Pod does have IMO better fuzz stomps.

This is kinda why I asked. I'm not into a lot of bells and whistles. I'd like to be able to hook it to an amp(doesnt have to be effects loop) and able to hook it to a P.A. system. I play metal so the distortions are the most important part to me. I've never enjoyed Digitech Distortions as they are usually far too fuzzy when cranked, but I can assume newer stuff sounds better.
Do you like the tone of your rig? If you have legitly good sounding rig/or love your sound but want a plethora of effects that sound great: Line 6 M13. No amp modeling just straight stomp boxes and tons of program-able scenes which are all easily switchable. Also has a looper and good tuner built in. You can run certain pedals in your effects loop and others out in front of your amp. Super handy.
Last edited by GrizzlyFnAdams6 at Jul 12, 2011,
Quote by GrizzlyFnAdams6
Do you like the tone of your rig? If you have legitly good sounding rig/or love your sound but want a plethora of effects that sound great: Line 6 M13. No amp modeling just straight stomp boxes and tons of program-able scenes which are all easily switchable. Also has a looper and good tuner built in. You can run certain pedals in your effects loop and others out in front of your amp. Super handy.

Nah my current rig is trash.
TC nova sys