I did a search but couldn't really find anything (sorry if it's already out there).

Could someone teach me how to write a walking bassline or direct me to some useful links for understanding how to write walking basslines?

I can play any walking bassline easily if you give it to me to read, but when someone asks 12 bar jazz blues any key you want do some walking basslines I can't play to save my life.

I'm currently writing a song, but I'm really having trouble putting in a walking bassline.

Thanks !

By the way I only have a basic understanding of rudiments so you can treat me like a dummy!
Quote from TGM "We're all musicians, we should protect our ears like we protect our dicks."
Well... the way I understand it is like this:

You have (in 4/4 time) four beats per bar.

The first beat should be the root note, unless the chord continues into a second bar, then for the second bar, you can play a chord tone.

The second beat should be a scalar or tonic note, but you can make an exception if it sounds good.

The third beat should be a chord tone, I prefer to use the third, because of it being the tone of the chord.

and the fourth beat is a leading tone into the next chord.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/bass_lessons/how_to_attack_jazz_on_bass.html
Understand nothing, in order to learn everything.

Quote by liampje
I can write a coherent tune ... But 3/4? I play rock, not polka.
Quote by vampirelazarus
Well... the way I understand it is like this:

You have (in 4/4 time) four beats per bar.

The first beat should be the root note, unless the chord continues into a second bar, then for the second bar, you can play a chord tone.

The second beat should be a scalar or tonic note, but you can make an exception if it sounds good.

The third beat should be a chord tone, I prefer to use the third, because of it being the tone of the chord.

and the fourth beat is a leading tone into the next chord.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/bass_lessons/how_to_attack_jazz_on_bass.html

Thanks man, the article is written really well!

Quote by Sean0913
Tritones and half steps... as approach notes for the given chord.

Hows school going?

Sean

! School is done for now. Spending my whole summer in music rehabilitation haha. Working on EVERYTHING. One of my goals is to improve my bass playing as in theory wise. Thanks for asking
Quote from TGM "We're all musicians, we should protect our ears like we protect our dicks."
Quote by NecroticSoldier
Thanks man, the article is written really well!

One of my favorite lessons.... I had no idea how to do walking bass lines until I read that a couple weeks ago, now I at least I can understand them and do them when asked (which is not often)

sometimes I think I should write lessons...
Understand nothing, in order to learn everything.

Quote by liampje
I can write a coherent tune ... But 3/4? I play rock, not polka.
Boom, I wrote that lesson. Well, half of it (the important half ) I didn't even know Sinan got it posted.
Looking back, it's actually pretty good, but one thing it sort of misses is that improvising basslines is all about actually doing it. All that is fine, but if you can only write it down you're not really any further ahead. So once you have the basics, you need to start practising to walk.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Boom, I wrote that lesson. Well, half of it (the important half ) I didn't even know Sinan got it posted.
Looking back, it's actually pretty good, but one thing it sort of misses is that improvising basslines is all about actually doing it. All that is fine, but if you can only write it down you're not really any further ahead. So once you have the basics, you need to start practising to walk.

I think this is very true! Haha, I'll start doing that ASAP :P!