'Sup GG&A,
So, I've been having a little problem lately. Regardless of whether or not I get into uni this year (probably won't, but you never know), I'll soon be moving away from home and into a small-ish apartment. Problem is, my amp atm is a 120-watt Bugera 6262, and it's impossible to get any tones I think are convincing at levels that won't shatter a neighbor's eardrum and sanity. The usual story, I know.

Now, for a while I've been looking for a smaller amp, and mainly have been focused in the lunchbox tube head market. Problem has been there's a very wide variety, and it's not exactly all that cheap, as I'd have to buy a cab while I'm at it. Also, I've come to understand that many lunchboxes aren't all that ideal for silent room playing, either, so yeah.

Then, at this month's Guitarist Magazine, there was a review on the Rivera Rock Crusher attenuator. I felt so dumb - why didn't I think of that before! It'll be cheaper than a small head + cab combination, and it'll also be a good investment for the future. The Rock Crusher got really top-notch grades, and was praised for amazing build quality and tone.

So, I'm just checking that I've got this right? A quality attenuator would allow me to play with a good tone at whisper levels? If you guys have any input, for or against this idea, I'd be happy hear you out. Cheers!
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah
An attenuator will help tame volume, but no, it wont get you cranked tone at bedroom level.

Instead of killing you, an attenuator will make the amp just about deafen you.

And tone wont be perfect either, part of the cranked tone comes from speaker breakup.
Quote by GS LEAD 5
An attenuator will help tame volume, but no, it wont get you cranked tone at bedroom level.

And tone wont be perfect either, part of the cranked tone comes from speaker breakup.

Am aware of the speaker breakup situation. However, in the review they were very specific about the thing having a dial that will reduce the output even to absolutely nothing, if desired. Still, might be that at such low levels it's the same as just turning the amp itself down... or? o.o
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Quote by GS LEAD 5

Actually it will. That's an attenuator's job essentially. It goes between your head and cab. Get the sound you want on your head and control the volume on the attenuator. The only thing that will be missing is the breakup from the speakers on the cab. If you crank your head you can control the amount of volume going to the cab with the attenuator.
The thing about attenuators, as I've come to understand, is that they so are not equal. The Rivera is supposed to be the best sh*t around, and it had some advantageous features compared to others on the market. The review also said that the thing keeps your tone very nice even at the most extreme attenuation levels, so I was thinking maybe this one's good for me.
Gear:

Ashton AG200,
It may not get you speaker breakup but it will definitely help your tone at low volume levels. Weber is a solid brand as well.
Guitars
Amps
I have a Aracom DAG-150 attenuator, and it works great, 40 decibels of attenuation works perfectly for getting power tube saturation at bedroom levels, and if my amp wasn't a piece of crap, it would sound like sex, but since it sucks, it just sounds all broken.

I don't expect much better from your 6262 through an attenuator cranked real hard, cheap amps just can't handle it, the OT starts to clip and it just sounds bad.

Granted, my attenuator is about $400-$500 more than the Rivera Rock one, and is hand wired, so it has no coloration of the sound, so I know my amp is just crappy.
the alex/ho attenuators are terribad and terrible for your amp.

the bugera amp in the op isn't meant for power tube breakup.

it's built around preamp gain.

learn to dial in your amp before buying an attenuator.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
The Alex is a Phantom clone I think. It's the Ultimate and Ho that will **** you up.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs