Hi guys, long time reader, beginner poster. Anyways,

http://soundcloud.com/overthrone

I would like for you guys to check out my band OverThrone, and let me know that you think, any critisim is good critisim to me. I know the songs are a little rough from transition to transition, but these are demos for our upcoming Album that we are going to record in a real studio next month. These are just a few of our songs, haven't gotten around to uploading the cleaner acoustic songs yet.

My band is called OverThrone, we are a metal band out of Missouri. We are looking to get out of the rut that metal is in with all the "core" sub-genres and whatnot, kind of a mix of thrash and prog - if you can't tell Opeth and Megadeth are our main influences. We love Opeth but not everyone likes the harsh vox and 10 minute songs, so we are trying to take that in mind.

There are no vox yet, have lyrics but no singer (after many many shitty tryouts good people are hard to find, especially with the dedication we have to our music).

I have a few questions for all of you if you would be so kind to post:

1.) What type of vox/singing do you think would fit best?
2.) What would make the guitars/overall tone sound better?
3.) What do you think of the direction?

Like I said, demos. But also, let me know what you think and leave your band page and I will do the same.
musically i think they are all have the potential to be great songs. the addition of lyrics would do WONDERS. also, was there a bass guitar? didnt sound like there was one, but i was using crappy computer speakers.

as far as arrangements and what was being played, i didnt think there was much for me to complain about, save for a few suggestions/criticizms... i understand this is a demo, but food for thought when you have REAL recording capabilities....

1) bass was lacking. not just a bass guitar, but bass throughout the entire track. it didnt have that "full body" sound to it. too think and as if it was all soming through a little tweeter.

2) were the guitars double tracked? couldnt tell on my computer. the key is two destinct guitar tones that you are happy with. pan each one hard left/right and EQ to sit well in the mix after recording.

3) how did you record the drums? it sounded wayyyy to thin for me. like it was compressed to hell and back or something.

4) i know its metal, but reverb is your friend. reverb adds the illusion of distance between the music and the listener's ears. it cuts back on ear fatigue and makes the music more more comfortable to listen to over time. you can also use it to help a track sit better in the mix.

i dont know your knowledge level, but i hope i was able to give you some good advice.

mind a c4c? its in my sig. thank you.
Quote by OverThrone
Hi guys, long time reader, beginner poster. Anyways,

http://soundcloud.com/overthrone

I would like for you guys to check out my band OverThrone, and let me know that you think, any critisim is good critisim to me. I know the songs are a little rough from transition to transition, but these are demos for our upcoming Album that we are going to record in a real studio next month. These are just a few of our songs, haven't gotten around to uploading the cleaner acoustic songs yet.

My band is called OverThrone, we are a metal band out of Missouri. We are looking to get out of the rut that metal is in with all the "core" sub-genres and whatnot, kind of a mix of thrash and prog - if you can't tell Opeth and Megadeth are our main influences. We love Opeth but not everyone likes the harsh vox and 10 minute songs, so we are trying to take that in mind.

There are no vox yet, have lyrics but no singer (after many many shitty tryouts good people are hard to find, especially with the dedication we have to our music).

I have a few questions for all of you if you would be so kind to post:

1.) What type of vox/singing do you think would fit best?
2.) What would make the guitars/overall tone sound better?
3.) What do you think of the direction?

Like I said, demos. But also, let me know what you think and leave your band page and I will do the same.

sorry for the double post, but as far as what kind of vocals i think would be best, maybe a mix of heavier screams/growls (opeth) dirty vocals (megadeth) and some clean singing would be awesome. keep it up and post the finished product on here when you can.
1.) The bass sounds weak because - There isn't one! Im working on finishing up the bass parts since our bass player quit due to a "problem" with partying too much...

2.) The guitars are doubled in some parts, not so much in some. I need a good VST for recording demos at my home studio, right now its just my trusty old digitech rp250 that I've had for years.

3.) Drums are recorded with Drum Kit from Hell - I take it you also used it for your songs?

4.) I think the reason everything has a way too tight sound is our rehearsal place is a big metal building that is really boomy, so we are just used to hearing so much reverb that when I recorded everything I completely took it out lol.

I really dig your songs man. They have a very unique vibe to them - (thats a real good thing) kinda reminds me of metal mixed with some tool but you aren't afraid to get a little fast and heavy. I dig it man. I take it you are also using DKFH? The only thing I could pick out would be the overall volume or maybe just guitars need to be turned up so they can breathe a bit, but that would be it. Following you on soundcloud.
Ok I went in and changed a few things, upgraded to Superior Drummer, and added a few more songs. Let me know what you think. Thanks for the feedback!
The songs have potential. The melodic lead-ish parts are too low in the mix. Everyone seems to push the drums way too forward in the mix these days. Do that. But the playing on whole is very good. I think you could do with messing around with your drum samples some more though, they sound not quite real or right or something.

As for vocals, you could get away with almost any style. I would recommend staying on the cleaner side. Some Joey Belladonna-esque vocals would be sweet.
Uploaded a new song and updated the mix on it. I think it sounds way better than the others, but feel free to let me know if anything needs to be changed.

I thank you all for helping me shape the sound! Multiple ears are a million times better than 2.

Here's the new song/mix - http://soundcloud.com/overthrone/coughin