Page 1 of 3
Hello my dear Pittie-witties,

There has been a huge number of complaints to the UK Advertising Standards Authority regarding homeopathy websites. You can read about it here -

http://www.asa.org.uk/Resource-Centre/Hot-Topics/Homeopathy-complaints.aspx

Of course, homeopaths are getting a bit butthurt about it. You can have your say by completing a survey they intend to present to the ASA here -

http://j.mp/qkzynk

So what do you think? Does homeopathy advertise itself misleadingly, and is it right to crack down on it like this? Do people need protecting from pseudoscientific medicine, or do the people stupid enough to fall for their schtick have the right to do so?

Pic related: a homeopath

EDIT: If you don't know what homeopathy is, you can find out from the Society of Homeopaths, here -

http://www.homeopathy-soh.org/about-homeopathy/what-is-homeopathy/

It's generally very controversial (at least it is in the UK), as it is available on the NHS but doesn't really have a scientific basis.
Hahahahahahahahahah hahahaha har har har
Last edited by McTodd at Jul 12, 2011,
I don't even know what homeopathy is.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by Trowzaa
I don't even know what homeopathy is.

this
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Homeopathy is an 'alternative medicine' practice that's based of the idea that a small amount of something will cure something i.e. a small amount of malaria will cure actual malaria. They make their 'medicine' by diluting a drop of a substance and shaking it. Shaking being a technical part of the process. Then they do it again and again until you're left with what is actually just water.
OUT OF ORDER
Would this be like magical crystal healing with chakras and special spices and herbs and that sorta shit?

Edit: Ah, I guess not.
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
Lubricant?

Oh wait, that's homopathic.
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

There's loads of those alternative medicine practices in use, everyday, we just take the stuff that actually works, and change it's name to Medicine
As my proffesor in pseudoscience said about theese things;

If you're lucky, you're buying water.
If you're unlucky, you're buying dirty water.

I think it's a good thing to come down on them and expose the frauds that they are. You might be a fool to buy this stuff but you might not deserve it, and besides I'm always for educating people, how else would we progress?
I think we should stop allowing advertisements for sicknessesdrugs.
This is why I don't like arguing on the internet.
Quote by damian_91
If only you could back that statement up.
Quote by Zombee
Wolfgang's Philadelphia Study. Look it up yourself.
Quote by damian_91
No need to, absurd generalizations aren't my thing.
I don't believe in this shit, but It is very popular in my country and a lot of people I know swear it works.
Quote by Våd Hamster
Fuck yes you are the best poster ever

do you wanna hear a little piano composition I have just made?, I promise it don't totally sucks, you can hear it on my profile, any feedback would be really appreciated -C4C
Quote by DaveM666
There's loads of those alternative medicine practices in use, everyday, we just take the stuff that actually works, and change it's name to Medicine

That's not really a fair account of where medicines come from, and it certainly doesn't justify bad science like homeopathy.
Homeopathic medicine has saved so many lives, you'd have to be an idiot not to believe it works. IT REALLY DOES! TRUST ME.

I work for a large pharmaceutical company in which we sell homeopathic medicine. No one has ever been hurt using our homeopathic medicine!
Quote by severed-metal
Homeopathic medicine has saved so many lives, you'd have to be an idiot not to believe it works. IT REALLY DOES! TRUST ME.

I work for a large pharmaceutical company in which we sell homeopathic medicine. No one has ever been hurt using our homeopathic medicine!

If you're not trolling, you would have to prove it using a double blind control group given a placebo.
Quote by guitarxo

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

Quote by loose bowels
Homeopathy is an 'alternative medicine' practice that's based of the idea that a small amount of something will cure something i.e. a small amount of malaria will cure actual malaria. They make their 'medicine' by diluting a drop of a substance and shaking it. Shaking being a technical part of the process. Then they do it again and again until you're left with what is actually just water.

Sounds a bit similar to vaccines, no?
If I worked for a large pharmaceutical company, do you think I'd be sitting here in my underpants reading threads in the pit?

No, I'd be out getting pussy and snorting coke off of said pussy's ass because I'd be making copious amounts of dough, despite the fact I'm not a baker.

*sigh*
Last edited by severed-metal at Jul 12, 2011,
Temptation to troll that survey is now off the scale
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWE1tH93G9U

Why homeopathy is a large sack of horse shit, and if anyone believes it is a ****ing moron. There is not a single part in the process of homeopathy that is even somewhat intelligent or logical by any means.
Quote by severed-metal
If I worked for a large pharmaceutical company, do you think I'd be sitting here in my underpants reading threads in the pit?

No, I'd be out getting pussy and snorting coke off of said pussy's ass because I'd be making copious amounts of dough, despite the fact I'm not a baker.

You could have been a Rite Aid pharmacist
Quote by guitarxo

Quote by Bladez22

Quote by Alex Vik

No.

Your ignorance regarding modern vaccines is astounding.
Quote by loose bowels
an 'alternative medicine' practice that's based of the idea that a small amount of something will cure something i.e. a small amount of malaria will cure actual malaria

you're roughly describing a vaccine.

I think that homeopathy is a term used wrongly to band together both alternative and herbal medicines, healyhealy crystal reiki bs and anything in between. I'm sure there's some very effective and scientifically proven herbal medicines, and I'm sure there's some crystal healing methods that are just scams for nutjobs...

I think having more than one option in terms of medicines available on the NHS is important, but on the other hand I don't want any money I pay in tax being wasted on non-effective hippy juice being given out to anyone that wants it
'If I were not a physicist, I would probably be a musician. I often think in music. I live my daydreams in music. I see my life in terms of music.' Albert Einstein
Quote by Alex Vik

Admittedly, yes, but that's why they get away with it. The dilution process involved in homeopathy reduces the amount of active ingredient to less than one in the number of atoms of water in the ocean, so you're really not taking anything other than water.

Also, as mentioned above, vaccines don't really work like that, people just think they do.
Last edited by McTodd at Jul 12, 2011,
Homeopathy to exist in this modern age is ridiculous.
Founder Of The "Jimmy Page Stole All Of My Potential Riffs" Club PM To Join!.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Meh, I usually just buy them off the local shaman, unless I'm in the wilderness, where I rely on raw meat to raise my HP.
Quote by Jake the Peg
you're roughly describing a vaccine.

I think that homeopathy is a term used wrongly to band together both alternative and herbal medicines, healyhealy crystal reiki bs and anything in between. I'm sure there's some very effective and scientifically proven herbal medicines, and I'm sure there's some crystal healing methods that are just scams for nutjobs...

Watch what you say, my grandma is a crystal healer. I dont believe that what she does helps, but she believes it and is in no way a scammer. She barely makes enough to survive. She's doing it because honestly believes she helps people.
Quote by guitarxo

Quote by Bladez22

Quote by fearofthemark
Watch what you say, my grandma is a crystal healer. I dont believe that what she does helps, but she believes it and is in no way a scammer. She barely makes enough to survive. She's doing it because honestly believes she helps people.

my auntie sends me crystals and that kinda stuff for my birthday/christmas, and she honestly thinks that it helps her. I don't think there's a problem with it existing at all, If that's what people want to spend their money on then that's fine by me. But I wouldn't want it as a prescription treatment on the NHS, because the only way I can think of that it would work in any way would be as a placebo.
'If I were not a physicist, I would probably be a musician. I often think in music. I live my daydreams in music. I see my life in terms of music.' Albert Einstein
Quote by fearofthemark

Well, she kind of is a scammer. She doesn't realise she is one, but she is. A gypsy with a mental disorder that makes her really really believe that she is actually telling the future is still not providing the actual service advertised (telling the future) despite her delusion, similarly your grandmother is not actually healing anyone despite claiming the ability to do so.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
"since the least amount of a substance in a solution is one molecule, a 30C solution would have to have at least one molecule of the original substance dissolved in a minimum of 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 molecules of water. This would require a container more than 30,000,000,000 times the size of the Earth" - Robert L. Park
OUT OF ORDER
I have some respect for homeopaths that have a lot of knowledge on the issue they're trying to cure. I'm talking about the ones that are trying to cure people with different herbs or ways of life - AS LONG AS THEY KNOW WHAT THEY'RE TALKING ABOUT!
On the other hand, I have little to no respect for homeopaths that are either incredibly naive or are rip-of artists. I'm talking about the ones that try to sell you magic crystals, 'potions', angel tears etc. I'm not even sure if these are considered homeopaths

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Quote by Ur all $h1t
Well, she kind of is a scammer. She doesn't realise she is one, but she is. A gypsy with a mental disorder that makes her really really believe that she is actually telling the future is still not providing the actual service advertised (telling the future) despite her delusion, similarly your grandmother is not actually healing anyone despite claiming the ability to do so.

Theres a difference between fortune tellers and healers. A lady went to her gynecologist because she was unable to have kids. The gynecologist couldn't find anything physically wrong with her, so he suggested that she go to my grandmother. My grandma got her to open up to her, gave her comfort, advice, some herbal tonic, and the lady got pregnant the next month. Im not saying it wasn't a placebo or that anything supernatural happened, that would be ridiculous, but she clearly helped the lady. And this wasn't a one time occurrence, it happens more often than you think.
Quote by guitarxo

Quote by Bladez22

Why do you think Homeopaths are being treated in this way?
Nawwwwwwwww
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Quote by fearofthemark
Theres a difference between fortune tellers and healers. A lady went to her gynecologist because she was unable to have kids. The gynecologist couldn't find anything physically wrong with her, so he suggested that she go to my grandmother. My grandma got her to open up to her, gave her comfort, advice, some herbal tonic, and the lady got pregnant the next month. Im not saying it wasn't a placebo or that anything supernatural happened, that would be ridiculous, but she clearly helped the lady. And this wasn't a one time occurrence, it happens more often than you think.

A gynecologist suggested a woman go to a woman with magical powers? Do you live in a village?

Quote by fearofthemark

She is harming people, though.
There's not a homepathic remedy for anything except dehydration. If they say it cures anything else they're being misleading.

When it comes to medicine (among others) you should have some standards and regulations so the people needing healthcare don't get screwed. Homeopathy doesn't meet any standards and anyone promoting it as an alternative to medicine should be put on an island and left there.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Last edited by Kensai at Jul 12, 2011,
Quote by fearofthemark

Coincidences happen quite frequently. Fortune tellers experience them too, in fact their "placebo effect", self fulfilling prophecy, is even more powerful. The fact remains though that your grandmother is not providing the service that she claims to (assuming she claims that she is healing people, rather than simply being a nice lady).

Also, if a medical ethics board found out about the actions of that gynaecologist (referring someone for a treatment with no efficacy results or scientific approval) she would run a very real risk of being struck off the register, and rightly so.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Last edited by Ur all $h1t at Jul 12, 2011,
Quote by captaincrunk
A gynecologist suggested a woman go to a woman with magical powers? Do you live in a village?

My thoughts exactly
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
Quote by McTodd
=Does homeopathy advertise itself misleadingly, and is it right to crack down on it like this?

Hell yes mother****er.

Get that shit off the ****in NHS too.

I shouldn't even need to say this shit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMvMb90hem8
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
Last edited by TheBurningFish at Jul 12, 2011,
Quote by DaveM666

This.

Although it has to be said there has to be an increase of alternative medicine research, not only to debunk the fake ones, but to also provide real alternatives to the current medicine - as it's becoming less and less effective as our bodies get used to the chemicals we stuff ourselves with.
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
Quote by Anthony1991
This.

Although it has to be said there has to be an increase of alternative medicine research, not only to debunk the fake ones, but to also provide real alternatives to the current medicine - as it's becoming less and less effective as our bodies get used to the chemicals we stuff ourselves with.

First I heard of it. Where are you getting that from?
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
Page 1 of 3