I am not sure if "Chugging/Alternate Picking" is the right usage of the terms.
Here what I am trying to play (below)

[Riff 6, Guitar 1 & 2] - [00:42] - [01:01]----------------------------------| 2x
- --------------------------------------------------------------------------|
- ----------------------------------------------------10p9-------12p10p9----|
- -------------------------7p0-----------------------------12p10------------|
- -----5---7h8-------------------------8---7h8h10---------------------------|
- -0-0---0-----0-0-000-000-----0-0-0-0---0--------0-0--------------------8--|
PM ... . ........... ....... . ... .
-
-
- ----------------------------------------------------------------------|
- ------------------------------------------------------------------8---|
- ----------------------------------------------------9--------10-------|
- --------------------------------------------8---7-------11------------|
- -8---8---12p8---7h8---10---12---8---7---8-----------------------------|
- ---8---8------8-----8----8----8---8---7---7---7---7---7----7----7---7-|
PM . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

It is a section of the song Crusades by August Burns Red.
What I am having trouble with is being able to make the palm muted notes on the 6th sting sound audible. I feel like I have no problem playing them, but I am having a hard time hearing them.

What do I do? Is it my picking technique that is wrong, my guitar tone (help from a different forum?), or what?

I am playing a ESP LTD EC-1000 through a Peavey Valveking Half-Stack with a Metal Muff and a Rocktron Reaction Hush out in front.
Open your closed mind, close your open mouth.
̿ ̿ '̿'\̵͇̿̿\з=(•̪●=ε/̵͇̿̿/'̿'̿ ̿ ̿ ̿
Last edited by BrianG47 at Jul 12, 2011,
move your hand closer to the bridge it might be your muting the string to much
also hit the muted noted harder than the not muted noted because well they are muted and not as loud
Quote by BrianG47
I am not sure if "Chugging/Alternate Picking" is the right usage of the terms.
Here what I am trying to play (below)

[Riff 6, Guitar 1 & 2] - [00:42] - [01:01]----------------------------------| 2x
- ----------------------------------------------------10p9-------12p10p9----|
- -------------------------7p0-----------------------------12p10------------|
- -----5---7h8-------------------------8---7h8h10---------------------------|
- -0-0---0-----0-0-000-000-----0-0-0-0---0--------0-0--------------------8--|
PM ... . ........... ....... . ... .
-
-
- ----------------------------------------------------------------------|
- ------------------------------------------------------------------8---|
- ----------------------------------------------------9--------10-------|
- --------------------------------------------8---7-------11------------|
- -8---8---12p8---7h8---10---12---8---7---8-----------------------------|
- ---8---8------8-----8----8----8---8---7---7---7---7---7----7----7---7-|
PM . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

It is a section of the song Crusades by August Burns Red.
What I am having trouble with is being able to make the palm muted notes on the 6th sting sound audible. I feel like I have no problem playing them, but I am having a hard time hearing them.

What do I do? Is it my picking technique that is wrong, my guitar tone (help from a different forum?), or what?

I am playing a ESP LTD EC-1000 through a Peavey Valveking Half-Stack with a Metal Muff and a Rocktron Reaction Hush out in front.

Having listened to the riff in question, I'd say that your best bet is to probably use a down stroke for the notes on the bottom string and an upstroke for the higher notes. That, or just down pick everything but the gallops. It's definitely doable and I'd be willing to be that they're doing straight downpicking, but you could do alternate picking comfortably as long as you make sure that the bottom notes are down strokes and the upper notes are up strokes.

Make sure you're fretting them correctly if you can't hear them. Also, realize that they're palm muted. They aren't going to ring out much. They're kind of hard to hear in the recording, too (though hardly inaudible). If you think it's your tone, I have just one question: what is your EQ like? If the mids are scooped too much, you're gonna have trouble hearing yourself playing over a recording. Try increasing your mids and cutting the bass a little bit. That might help make your playing more distinct from the recording.
Quote by supersac
move your hand closer to the bridge it might be your muting the string to much
also hit the muted noted harder than the not muted noted because well they are muted and not as loud

Haha I was just telling my cousin who is currently learning how to play guitar that he needed to that with his palm mutes.. apparently I should have taken my own advice because that helped a little!

Quote by Geldin
Having listened to the riff in question, I'd say that your best bet is to probably use a down stroke for the notes on the bottom string and an upstroke for the higher notes. That, or just down pick everything but the gallops. It's definitely doable and I'd be willing to be that they're doing straight downpicking, but you could do alternate picking comfortably as long as you make sure that the bottom notes are down strokes and the upper notes are up strokes.

Make sure you're fretting them correctly if you can't hear them. Also, realize that they're palm muted. They aren't going to ring out much. They're kind of hard to hear in the recording, too (though hardly inaudible). If you think it's your tone, I have just one question: what is your EQ like? If the mids are scooped too much, you're gonna have trouble hearing yourself playing over a recording. Try increasing your mids and cutting the bass a little bit. That might help make your playing more distinct from the recording.

Thanks man, your tip helped me get it down! I think my current EQ will do just fine!
Open your closed mind, close your open mouth.
̿ ̿ '̿'\̵͇̿̿\з=(•̪●=ε/̵͇̿̿/'̿'̿ ̿ ̿ ̿