Anybody know any string skipping exercises / licks? i'm not really sure how to go about approaching this technique :L
try playing some diminished arpeggios with 3 notes per string on the 1st, 3rd, and 5th strings like

e--18-15-12------------------------------------------------12-15-18
b--------------------------------------------------------------------
g---------------18-15-12----------------------12-15-18-----------
d----------------------------------------------------------------------
a----------------------------16-13-10-13-16-----------------
e-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by Diebymyhand at Jul 12, 2011,
Quote by Speed-metal9000
Anybody know any string skipping exercises / licks? i'm not really sure how to go about approaching this technique :L

The arpeggios in Protest the Hero's Turn Soonest to the Sea starting at around 3:32 are supposed to sweep picked, but they're easily transposed to string skipping and, having done so myself, are good practice for simple string skipping.
Try learning "I'm Alright" by Neil Zaza. It's a nice song with good sounding arpeggios which require strnig skipping. Sweet Child O' Mine is also a good song to start string skipping.
Paul Gilbert much? hes got tons of that, and I believe he's even got some things on youtube where he teaches you how to do them.
Where's Waldo?
Paul Gilbert. Go with Scarified or Technical Difficulties, two of his more well known songs. Or, try The curse of Castle Dragon and The Gargoyle.

You can also take scales you know, apply 3 string patterns, and omit all notes on one or two strings.
Quote by Life Is Brutal
Paul Gilbert. Go with Scarified or Technical Difficulties, two of his more well known songs. Or, try The curse of Castle Dragon and The Gargoyle.

You can also take scales you know, apply 3 string patterns, and omit all notes on one or two strings.

Theres not much string skipping in Technical Difficulties, and the rest of the song is fairly hard, so it might not be the best one, but I guess theres a few licks here and there.

On a side note, some awesome Paul Gilbert songs are: Silence Followed by a Deafening Roar, Norwegian Cowbell, and Viking Kong, just to name a few.
Where's Waldo?