Not really...although a more shallow snare may be better than anything too deep. But its just a metal (brass would be best) snare cranked REALLY tight, with the snares quite tight too.
Probably just a normal 14 x 5.5 tuned fairly high would be my guess. As that's a natural snare tone with no sound replacing, then yes the dimensions do play a part in the tone, a bigger snare will usually be louder and bassier, though you can tune them high to be sure, just it wouldn't sound as good as if the snare were a bit smaller.
Last edited by Steve08 at Jul 12, 2011,
You'll want something concentrated towards that sound. By that, I mean a 14/13 x 6 or 6.5 sized snare. Reason I say this is because if you're playing that kind of music, you'll want a snare that's going to cut through with that wall of sound and still have the depth to hold it there.

Check out Chris Adler from Lamb of God and his snare and you'll see what I mean.

EDIT: Depth doesn't really affect volume, but shell thickness and shell material will
Neo Evil11
Quote by jambi_mantra
They let black people on Fox now?

They also let white people into the KFC and the NBA now.
I'd hazard a guess that a bigger drum will project better and thus seem louder since you're moving more air, but I mean, it won't make a very noticeable difference in volume, not compared to the actual loudness or softness of your playing anyway.
To get the sound of that snare throw a trashcan lid down a hill then beat it with a dead cat.

Or you can buy a cheap metal snare, leave it out of tune, close mic it, then gate the shit out of it to kill the overtones that still manage to bleed through.
Deerper snares have a lower pitch, more shallow snares have higher pitch. The higher pitch will cut more, but I love the sound of a low pitched fat snare.
Quote by llanafreak44
Deerper snares have a lower pitch, more shallow snares have higher pitch. The higher pitch will cut more, but I love the sound of a low pitched fat snare.

Yes, definitely...not like 80's deep snare sound, but more of "In Bloom" snare sound. Deep and punchy with just a little crack