***Warning: bit of a rant***

I've been looking for a guitar teacher for a while now, I've been through five so far. But none of them have been able to give me what I want. What I want is a teacher to help me reach the goals I have and give me a customized strategy with smaller goals along the way. I want a specific date in mind for reaching each goal and I've told them I'm willing to put in the work, just tell me what to do and I'll do it.

But instead what I get is some standard fare that I'm sure they push on all their students. And no goals, just "do this for next week".

For example, my current teacher. I go in, he tells me to learn G Major in all positions and E blues in all positions. All I can think is, "waste of time". I already know E Blues everywhere and G Major in a few positions. It doesn't address any of the technique issues I've been having, it's not musical and whenever I've wanted to play a song or jam on something I've never once felt frustrated cause I didn't have G Major memorized starting from the 7th fret on the E string. And if I did, I could figure it out in 2 minutes cause I know what notes are in G Major. I HAVE been frustrated because I can't seem to play leads above 120bpm, I've been frustrated by my legato technique, and lots of other things, but definitely not by this.

So I ask him about setting goals and he says we'll get to that in a few weeks. Is this normal? Do most people have to shuffle through lots of teachers to find a good one?

Sorry for venting, but it feels good to get that out.
This was actualy a good article for me to come upon. My previous guitar teacher recently reccomended me to my current guitar teacher, who has helped me much more than she did (though I still appreciate her tutelage). But I've always been into shred guitar, and boy can my new teacher shred.
OT: With ^ being said, you may want to still search for a teacher. Although I would highly reccomend you stick with one teacher for at least 4 sessions. When you get a new teacher, you ask him/her up front during the first lesson if the lessons will/cam go your "suggested" way. If they say they will but do not follow up on their promise, then you should re-address your "suggested" learning style. But you should also look at it from the teacher's POV. They know nothing about you and your style, so give them a break at first. But still be asseritive.
When the students ready the master will be found.

You want to spend more time practising and less time moaning about teachers. There are bad teachers out there, but by your own words you have had 5 surely they carnt all be bad.
Playing guitar dosen't happen overnight, technique takes dedication, time and practise.
Reading your rant you havent got any yet, so go get your guitar and practice what you have been taught. Cheers
When the students ready the master will be found.

Thanks for the fortune cookie wisdom, yoda. But if they aren't addressing the problems I'm having, then they're not doing their job. If all they're going to do is pick a random thing to work on each week, with no direction or connection between lessons, I can do that myself. And do I really need to pay someone $50 an hour to show me the G Major scale? I can google it in 2 seconds if I need to.
Ok. Will you be able to Google that scale on stage?

Here's the frustrating thing. I teach guitar lessons on the side. When a student comes to me and wants me to teach them, they have to trust that I know how to get them from point A to B - that I can help them achieve their goal(s). The methods may seem unorthodox at times, but we know how to help you achieve what you want. After all, that's why students come to us.

Granted, not all instructors should be instructing. Some are better off just playing - but there are a lot of good instructors out there. Find an instructor and lay out what your goals are. If he says he can help you achieve them, then stick with him and give it 110%. If it seems he wants you to learn something you don't think is important, then remember one thing - YOU are the student and you've come to him for advice and instruction. Otherwise, you wouldn't need him to show what you don't know.

Fair enough?

Edit: I also think it's unreasonable to set a date for yourself to have accomplished a goal. I'm currently learning to play piano and also taking jazz guitar lessons. What if I set a goal of 6 months from now to be playing concert piano, or 8 months from now to be playing like Larry Carlton? Unreasonable. Set reasonable, short goals for yourself, otherwise, I'm afraid you set yourself up for failure. Goals like, I need to learn how to play that new jazz fingering for DMaj7 is good. Or, being able to play a certain piano piece that's always given me fits. No time limits on either of these. Notice that? When you start blowing through your set dates, I think you'll become dejected. Not good.
Last edited by KG6_Steven at Jul 12, 2011,