Page 1 of 3
Is it just me or do you find too many genetric bands? I mean ... many bands within a genre actually sound the same. The only difference is the add of keyboard and vocals ...

In Death Metal there are many genetric bands, then someone created Melodic Death Metal for some new shit ... but in other genres like Thrash Metal, NWOBHM, Death Metal and Black Metal i can't hear much variety within the genres ... and i have listened a lot to metal ... i have favourite bands within all genres :P Im just saying ... doesn't it start to sound more like the same if you look up bands within a genre?

I have tried to create more interesting Thrash Metal lately but end up sounding like Kreator or Megadeth :/
First, the word is generic.

Second, genericism and mediocrity go hand in hand with dying movements.

Third, Melodic Death Metal is highly generic and also terrible.

Finally, if you stick to listening to the greats and ignore the rest, you won't have to face this problem.
I never really got into the subgenres like: Sludge metal, Death Metal, Black Metal, Deathcore, and all the other "core" s. I do like power metal (I was a Dragonforce fan). But if you do listen to the greats (as mentioned above) they are greats for a reason, they were original, and everyone had to of liked them for a reason. And about NWOBHM, I think it refers to more of a time-frame, as you can't write NWOBHM music. Kind of like Classic Rock. And think about it from your standpoint, if you are writing generic metal, and other bands are writing generic metal, doesn't that mean you are both inspired by the same music? (i.e. "the greats")
I'm finding the same problem. I think the problem is not the metal its self, but cuz you've probably listened to so much you struggle to find anything that really stands out.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
With it being around as long as it is, you'd expect some artists to gentrify.

The thing is, most of these 'genres' aren't genres at all: they're descriptive. That's why many sound alike, because you're describing a specific sound. You would expect things to sound the same when you're going in such extreme detail. 'Blackened death metal' and 'technical post-thrash' are descriptive, so you would expect bands that fit that description to sound alike. If you kept it at the actual generic level that genre means, then you'd actually be including a wide range of metal that is often so far removed from one another.

Now, if you said 'entomology'... that's a genre. If you said 'apiology' or 'lepidoptery', to say it's generic that they only study bees or butterflies, that's what you'd expect. If you were looking for diversity, you would look at entomology as a whole, the same with metal.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
Quote by NotFromANUS

If you stick to listening to the greats and ignore the rest, you won't have to face this problem.

This.
There are way too many bands that get credit for being unique in all kinds of ways except for their music. F*ck em, pay no attention.

The greats are greats for a reason and when it comes to new bands simply listen for something new. Your ears know what sounds good.

Personally, I think the answer is prog and I'll stand by that.
Thanks I see your point now And actually that thought striked me because I didn't even know what metal to play at first because all genres are cool And yes I see that I need to see metal as a whole so if I want change i'll just go to the genre that got that cool and nice change Thanks guys! Im gonna go thrashing now

BTW sorry then ... I spelled generic wrong O.o maybe i did it now too? Well who cares? xD
Last edited by ThrashLife at Jul 12, 2011,
Sigh,

A "-core" is going to be generic...Metalcore is probably the most generic subgenre.

The reason why you can't write original Thrash is because it's Thrash.

You also forget the MANY MANY varieties of each subgenre:

E.g. Blackened Melo-Death Symphonic Folk Metal....Equilibrium...Sick band..

Also, I'm kind of exploring Djent now, Meshuggah used to be like THE most original Tech-death band to me, now you've got Periphery and Animals As Leaders.

The future looks bright for metal. Imagine what they thought in the late 70's! That in 30 years, there would still only be power ballads with extended guitar solos? Cmon.

AND OMG, forgot Prog. Opeth, Mastodon! GaHH

Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
ESP LTD MH-1000NT
Marshall AVT100
Boss ME-70

Quote by stratdud39
Thank you for your words of wisdom.
Last edited by s-o-u-l-f-l-y at Jul 12, 2011,
Quote by s-o-u-l-f-l-y
Sigh,

A "-core" is going to be generic...Metalcore is probably the most generic subgenre.

The reason why you can't write original Thrash is because it's Thrash.

You also forget the MANY MANY varieties of each subgenre:

E.g. Blackened Melo-Death Symphonic Folk Metal....Equilibrium...Sick band..

Also, I'm kind of exploring Djent now, Meshuggah used to be like THE most original Tech-death band to me, now you've got Periphery and Animals As Leaders.

The future looks bright for metal. Imagine what they thought in the late 70's! That in 30 years, there would still only be power ballads with extended guitar solos? Cmon.

AND OMG, forgot Prog. Opeth, Mastodon! GaHH

Yah you are right :P I forgot all the genre mixing too O.o I haven't looked into ALL of them :/
You probably just have undeveloped ears or don't know were to look.
Quote by Steve08
Acid probably makes you feel less like a hedonistic raver piece of trash, too.

Quote by Riffmast
You probably just have undeveloped ears or don't know were to look.

Undeveloped ears? At least I listen to GOOD music ...

Tell me where to look then rather than comment my ears ... Im not saying all metal sounds the same, I just say some genres have many generic bands.
I've heard lots of people claim that bands sound the same who really don't at all because they don't catch on to subtle details in the songwriting and such. If your talking about mainstream metal, ala big four thrash, metalcore/deathcore ,melodic death metal etc. then yes because it's a product, then there is a standard that they follow. There is always gunna be a ton of generic bands, but the amount of original bands more than make up for it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KfXmkiwHDA

Would be a good place to start.
Quote by Steve08

Last edited by Riffmast at Jul 12, 2011,
Quote by ThrashLife
Undeveloped ears? At least I listen to GOOD music ...

Tell me where to look then rather than comment my ears ... Im not saying all metal sounds the same, I just say some genres have many generic bands.

www.anus.com

go there for bands, or ask in the recommendation thread on this forum.

All styles of music have generic bands, it's about dedicating time to searching out the better ones.
Quote by NotFromANUS
Finally, if you stick to listening to the greats and ignore the rest, you won't have to face this problem.

If you stick to listening to "the greats" you're a close minded douchebag. There are plenty of amazing bands that aren't Black Sabbath or Led Zeppelin.
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Guess you are right ... it's just ... now you killed my dream of froming a band cause all I manage to do is sound generic xD

BTW Immolation is awesome!
Yeah was'nt trying to attack you, but logically thoose are usually the reasons people think that all metal sounds the same, because to them Incantation or Burzum is the exact same shit. Go to the forum rec thread and ask you will find a ton of good shit.

There is more to the greats than just Sabbath and Zeppelin.
Quote by Steve08

Quote by ThrashLife
Guess you are right ... it's just ... now you killed my dream of froming a band cause all I manage to do is sound generic xD

Have you tried thinking?

It's a great way to not sound completely generic.
Quote by Burgery
If you stick to listening to "the greats" you're a close minded douchebag. There are plenty of amazing bands that aren't Black Sabbath or Led Zeppelin.

Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
Quote by severed-metal
Have you tried thinking?

It's a great way to not sound completely generic.

Well then I would have to leave songwriting to the rest of the band ... or I could sit down with them and discuss how to not sound generic, but as I am on my own, practicing on my room i only end up being the most generic guitar player on the planet ...
Quote by InvaderTSN
Yeah I'm not entirely sure why you think listening to quality bands equates to only Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin.

The term "the greats" is often used to describe the pioneers. I've never heard anyone use that term for all good music.
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Stop trying to do your own thing and just let it come natural, just play, don't think about if your generic or not. It takes quite a few years before you start really finding your own sound.

The term "the greats" is often used to describe the pioneers. I've never heard anyone use that term for all good music.

Except that more bands had an impact on the shaping of the entire genre that just those two. Early black metal bands like Bathory or Merciful Fate would be considered as the greats as well.
Quote by Steve08

Quote by Riffmast
Stop trying to do your own thing and just let it come natural, just play, don't think about if your generic or not. It takes quite a few years before you start really finding your own sound.

I guess you are right ... :P

It's at least the most comfortable thing to do, but the thought "generic" pops up in my head as soon as I am done with a riff xD
Quote by Riffmast

Except that more bands had an impact on the shaping of the entire genre that just those two. Early black metal bands like Bathory or Merciful Fate would be considered as the greats as well.

Yes, but what I'm saying is don't limit yourself to them, because you'd be missing out on so much good music.

EDIT: I used Zeppelin and Sabbath as examples.
Quote by korinaflyingv
Last edited by Burgery at Jul 12, 2011,
I don't see why that's a reason for anything. It's only a matter of time before riffs will be played the exactly same way by another artist, but it's really how you make that riff yours is how to differentiate the two from each other.

I'm not saying copy the riff, note for note, I'm saying that if it just so happens I accidentally drop a fifty on the floor...I may just say "Excuse me sir, I think you dropped something", but eh, who knows. Maybe you grease the wheels on my end, maybe you don't.

If you catch my drift.
Quote by Burgery
Yes, but what I'm saying is don't limit yourself to them, because you'd be missing out on so much good music.

EDIT: I used Zeppelin and Sabbath as examples.

There's a fair amount of "greats" so you're not really limiting yourself.
Though I would say there's still quality stuff coming out as well, even if it isn't as earth shattering.
Quote by Burgery

The term greats is a noun denoting those embodying greatness. It does not necessarily denote pioneers. We have words to denote pioneers, like pioneers or founders. By definition, a band who is not a great is less than great. If a band is "amazing," then are they not great? Regardless, if not listening to shitty music makes me a "close[d-]minded douchebag" then color me guilty.
I honestly don't see why some Metal Forum regulars still bother posting in these threads. In my masochistic nature, I glance over them and I'm surprised to find an actual attempt at giving these doomed creations a purpose!

Thread is stupid, we are stupid for posting in it, leave the twats to their mess.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,
I’m not ashamed to be white
Vi doede ikke... vi har aldri levd
Barbarism is the natural state of mankind
Civilization is unnatural

It is a whim of circumstance
an unenlightened one
I dunno, i think " Go listen to Immolation" is a simple solution to stupid threads personally.
Quote by Steve08

I myself have Ripping Corpse playing.

Lets change the subject of this thread to how Anti God is awesome from beginning to end and how Glorious Depravity turns into quite a beast after about one minute.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
Well it's true, i also think that Ripping Corpse embodies the word "ripping" perfect.
Quote by Steve08

Quote by NotFromANUS
The term greats is a noun denoting those embodying greatness. It does not necessarily denote pioneers. We have words to denote pioneers, like pioneers or founders. By definition, a band who is not a great is less than great. If a band is "amazing," then are they not great? Regardless, if not listening to shitty music makes me a "close[d-]minded douchebag" then color me guilty.

I know what it can mean, but I also know what it's usually meant to mean.

You might not listen to shitty music, but you're not eating the whole cake, know what I'm sayin'?
Quote by korinaflyingv
Quote by Riffmast
Well it's true, i also think that Ripping Corpse embodies the word "ripping" perfect.

Challengers to rippage:
-Morbid Angel (on Abominations)
-Necrovore
-Deteriorate
-Slaughter Lord

*edit:
Quote by Burgery
I know what it can mean, but I also know what it's usually meant to mean.

Well, what's important is what I meant it to mean.

You might not listen to shitty music, but you're not eating the whole cake, know what I'm sayin'?

If only part of the cake is good, and the rest is made of shit and vomit, why would I want to eat the whole cake?
Last edited by NotFromANUS at Jul 12, 2011,
Quote by VampireGoldfish
I myself have Ripping Corpse playing.

Lets change the subject of this thread to how Anti God is awesome from beginning to end and how Glorious Depravity turns into quite a beast after about one minute.

I would, but I'm still hardly metal enough to enter the forum, let alone post in meaningful discussions.

*slinks away*
Quote by NotFromANUS
Challengers to rippage:
-Necrovore
-Deteriorate
-Slaughter Lord

*edit:
Well, what's important is what I meant it to mean.

If only part of the cake is good, and the rest is made of shit and vomit, why would I want to eat the whole cake?

Because there are small diamonds in the shit and vomit.
Quote by korinaflyingv
Quote by NotFromANUS

Katatonia, Paradise Lost, Opeth, Dimmu Borgir, Eels, Incubus, Agalloch, Soundgarden, Death, Alice In Chains, Led Zeppelin, BLS, CoB, KoRn, Nirvana, Marilyn Manson, Danzig, Misfits, SOAD, Rapture, RATM, Dream Theater, Nyktalgia, Necrophagist, Triptykon, Mad Season, Slumber, Burzum, Behemoth, Gojira, The Cure, Diabolical Masquerade, Umbra Nihil, FNM, Kyuss, October Tide and so many others. These are just from the top of my head at the moment, I probably forgot a huge amount of artists.

Some people like their cake like they like their music.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
Quote by NotFromANUS
Challengers to rippage:
-Necrovore
-Deteriorate
-Slaughter Lord

Sadistic Intent as well come to think of it.

Low blow VG
Quote by Steve08

Page 1 of 3