Does anyone know what string guage Dime used for (his) standard 1/4 step down, and also 1 1/4 step down tunings? I am finding alot of conflicting reports, As always thanks for the help.
Quote by AeolianSeventh
Maybe there are gnomes in your air conditioning vents using out-of-phase parabolic speakers to deaden vibrations from a distance.
Strings are personal preference. Just because Dimebag liked certain strings doesn't mean you will too.
But that's not his question. He's wanting to know what gauge he used, not if he'll like it or not.

I don't personally know, if it's 1/4 step down, 10's or 9's would do it fine, but he might have just wanted heavier ones for it too. If google didn't tell you, idk..

Edit: Google showed me this: http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?2268973-Dimebag-string-gauges

You could probably have gotten your answer there quicker amigo.
Quote by Strato-Massacre
yeah you shouldnt have told the pit to rape your mom.

Quote by Kensai
It's not sexist, girls are just too stupid and weak to hold up doors and stuff for themselves.
Last edited by Lt.DanHasLegs at Jul 12, 2011,
Quote by Lt.DanHasLegs
But that's not his question. He's wanting to know what gauge he used, not if he'll like it or not.

I don't personally know, if it's 1/4 step down, 10's or 9's would do it fine, but he might have just wanted heavier ones for it too. If google didn't tell you, idk..

Edit: Google showed me this: http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?2268973-Dimebag-string-gauges

You could probably have gotten your answer there quicker amigo.

More than likely however, the TS has the fanboy mentality that the strings will get him close to the sound. Which is false. Especially when the TS's profile mentions a Peavey Vypyr and a Shecter Hellraiser as their gear.
Last edited by Sputnik1 at Jul 12, 2011,
The intestines of small handycap children
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I'm pretty sure he mentioned it in one of the videos of the demo/interview sessions at guitar clinic. Just type in Dimebag Darrell at guitar clinic in youtube and he mentions it in one.
Gear:
Fender American Tele (Lefty)
Squier Affinity Strat (Lefty)
Boss DS-1
EHX Small Clone
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Laney LG12
Danelectro FAB Flanger (Rubbish)
Well I hardly believe that with the same guage strings I will sound like Dimebag. I'm not ignorant, but thanks for the concern. My personal preference is 11's 2 steps down, and 9's standard. I just wondered what he used, and if there was any real documentation on it or not. Me and my friends were having a debate on it. Basically they think you can only have a great heavy sound with heavier guage strings, I dissagreed and used Dimebag as an example. I was pretty sure I heard he only used 9-50 guage strings for everything, but needed some proof.

But on a side note, I am a huge Dimebag fan, could I ever sound like him? No. Close maybe. Am I trying to? No.

p.s. How the hell does a Schecter and a VYPYR have anything at all to do with Dimebag?
Quote by AeolianSeventh
Maybe there are gnomes in your air conditioning vents using out-of-phase parabolic speakers to deaden vibrations from a distance.
Last edited by cooper1965 at Jul 13, 2011,
Quote by Robbgnarly
The intestines of small handycap children

It's actually barbed wire pulled from the fence at Alcatraz.

But you can think what you want.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by cooper1965
Well I hardly believe that with the same guage strings I will sound like Dimebag. I'm not ignorant, but thanks for the concern. My personal preference is 11's 2 steps down, and 9's standard. I just wondered what he used, and if there was any real documentation on it or not. Me and my friends were having a debate on it. Basically they think you can only have a great heavy sound with heavier guage strings, I dissagreed and used Dimebag as an example. I was pretty sure I heard he only used 9-50 guage strings for everything, but needed some proof.

But on a side note, I am a huge Dimebag fan, could I ever sound like him? No. Close maybe. Am I trying to? No.

p.s. How the hell does a Schecter and a VYPYR have anything at all to do with Dimebag?

I wanted to make sure that you weren't one of those noobs who thought that getting "Dime's" strings on a setup like yours would make all the difference in the world. OK?
Ohh I see, I thought you made the "fanboy" assumption on my gear, but I get what your saying. Although I don't think even if I had dimes exact strings on dimes exact gear, I would sound like him. Maybe close.
Quote by AeolianSeventh
Quote by cooper1965

Because they are completely wrong for the Dimebag tone...

He was stating that you're not going to get his tone by just putting the same gauge strings on your guitar, if you're not using a Randall Warhead, Washburn ML and Bill Lawrence pickups
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
If you need any proof that heavy string gauge =/= heavy tone, listen to Mr Billy F Gibbons of ZZ Top fame- some of their slower blues grinds have a huge guitar sound, and he's using 7's. Yeh, 7's.
Gear:
Fender AVRI '62 Jazzmaster, Fender Gold Sparkle Strat (custom), Custom Swirled Roswell Rhoads
Marshall DSL15H, Weber Speakers, Fender Champs (x2),
'63 Fender Reverb, Mosrite Fuzzrite, Joe Bonamassa Fuzz Face, Whiteface RAT
Vintage Tubes!
Quote by MatrixClaw
Because they are completely wrong for the Dimebag tone...

He was stating that you're not going to get his tone by just putting the same gauge strings on your guitar, if you're not using a Randall Warhead, Washburn ML and Bill Lawrence pickups
Yeah, we already covered all that in a previous post.
Quote by AeolianSeventh
1/4 step? Uhh.. Obvz there is such thing, but not for tuning. I think you meant 1/2 step
by the time you read this you will be wasting your time because it doesnt say anything
Quote by hammettrocks
1/4 step? Uhh.. Obvz there is such thing, but not for tuning. I think you meant 1/2 step

No, I definitely meant 1/4 (.25) step down.
Quote by AeolianSeventh
Quote by hammettrocks

There is such thing. When you tune a string, it doesn't just snap into place at each half-step
Quote by jukejointjohnny
If you need any proof that heavy string gauge =/= heavy tone, listen to Mr Billy F Gibbons of ZZ Top fame- some of their slower blues grinds have a huge guitar sound, and he's using 7's. Yeh, 7's.

0.08s.

BB King told him to do it.

Jimmy Page also used very light gauge strings. Angus Young used 0.08s.

I'm not sure where I stand on this whole string gauge = fat tone thing. I think it's more important to settle on a gauge that you're comfortable with and then work out what you want to do with tone than the other way round.
Quote by cooper1965
No, I definitely meant 1/4 (.25) step down.

No you definitely mean half step down, since tuning isn't done in quarter steps.

Please read this...
How do I tune down a half step?
If you have a chromatic tuner this can be easy. A half a step down is having every note “half a step” down – a half step is an interval and to the guitar it’s a one-fret distance. So, E becomes Eb and so forth.

Are there any notes between E and E flat? or any other note and its flat for that matter? I don't think so.
Last edited by Sputnik1 at Jul 14, 2011,
Quote by Sputnik1
No you definitely mean half step down, since tuning isn't done in quarter steps.

Please read this...

Are there any notes between E and E flat? or any other note and its flat for that matter? I don't think so.

Wow, you really don't know what you are talking about in this situation. Dimebag tuned 1/4 (.25)step, 1 1/4 (1.25)step, and 2 1/4 (2.25) steps down. 427.474 Hz is what he used instead of the standard 440 Hz. Do a little research, 440 didn't really become the standard till the 1950's I think, and still is not universally accepted. So maybe there are no noted between E and E flat, but there definately is 1/4 step tuning based on the "standard" 440 hz. So yeah....
Quote by AeolianSeventh
Quote by Sputnik1

We must inform the tuning police!!

Tuning can be done however you want...