Poll Options
View poll results: ??
yeah
99 56%
no
77 44%
Voters: 176.
Page 1 of 3
They introduce you to your first tastes when you're a kid, so yes, mine are.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
I guess my parents had some sort of influence.
Then again, the music is just so damn good compared to the whatever is on the popular tv/radio stations today.
Yeah. In my house, it was classic 60's and 70's classic/hard rock and early metal. Up until I was about 14, that's exclusively what I listened to.
All the way from Palm Springs, just out of detox.
Show him a warm welcome, let's hear some applause
i got into beefheart, tom waits, miles davis, neil young and david bowie from my dads album collection when i was a kid and a whole bunch of reggae and dub from my mum.
bout the only thing my dad was good for was his album collection really. tons of good shit that i could just trawl through cause i didnt have enough lego to play with
I used to only listen to what they like (and beleive everything they do ). Now they have almost no influence on my music taste.

There are a few artists that my parents like that I also like though.
Nope, my dad listens to completely different stuff. The internet shaped my music taste.
Quote by the_white_bunny
your just a simpleton that cant understand strategy apparently.

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
my mom likes Greek music (we're Greek) so no. my dad likes older rock (think Rush, Zepplin, Sabbath) and some more modern stuff (that introduced him to) so i guess he did have some influence in that i was brought up around rock music.

99% of the music i listen to though is stuff i decided to listen to on my own or through my friends, not my parents. i don't listen to much classic rock, but it just so happens that Rush is my favorite band as well as my dad's. he showed them to me when i was 13, but i didn't really start listening to them until way after the fact.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
Last edited by Waterboy799 at Jul 12, 2011,
My dad only listens to old bubble gum pop and my mom likes the kind of "classic rock" that doesn't involve solos or distortion (Springsteen, etc) and Jimmy Buffet. So not at all.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
My dad, yeah. He's a classical musician, so I picked a lot of that up from him. My mom, however...
PM me for newts
Yes. My dad got me listening to metal from a young age, and my Mum was always playing lots of reggae, jazz and blues.
In the days of darkness men feared not the sword and the lance
Nor did he fear the beast of fire... He feared...
THE AXEMAN!!

The Earth is covered in ash and our lungs have filled with worms...
Joy Division, Smiths, Jimi, Stone Roses, The Specials, Beautiful South, all the classics I attribute to my dad.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Nope. My parents didn't listen to much music. And what they did listen to was more akin to elevator music.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
I wouldn't say they exactly influenced what I listen too. The listed to 80's and I'll admit I like a lot of what they listened too, but I would say what I listen to mostly is way different. Actually, I'd say my brother influenced me more.
Current Gear:
Mexican Fender Telecaster
Robert Smith custom Jazzmaster
Stratocaster
Vox AC4TV
I don't know my dad, and my mom listens to radio pop (and actually believes it's good music.)

So no. Not at all.
A small bit, my mom only listens to Country, pop, and 80s rock. My dad listened to old school metal and hard rock bands like Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin. I got Black Sabbath and 80s rock from them.
Last edited by NothingRocks at Jul 12, 2011,
My first experiences with music came from my dads old records, so thats where it started.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
Quote by rgrockr
My dad only listens to old bubble gum pop and my mom likes the kind of "classic rock" that doesn't involve solos or distortion (Springsteen, etc) and Jimmy Buffet. So not at all.

Fuck you Jimmy Buffet! You suck!

Strange fact, that part was literally just on telly 10 seconds ago.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Now no, but there are a few people I still listen to that I heard from them
Yup. Parents only listened to classic rock when I was a kid. I still do, but I listen to a lot harder stuff now too.
Quote by UntilISleep
You have excellent taste in literature, dear sir

Quote by Primus2112
You have excellent taste in video games, good sir.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
You have terrible taste in signatures, idiotic sir.

kkoo
Not at all. Case in point, my mom likes mostly the older rock stuff and some newer alt, my dad loves 70s soft rock. I like death metal.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Thanks to my parents i have a strong addiction to Garth Brooks and Styx
The lake was silent for some time. Finally it said:
"I weep for Narcissus, but I never noticed that Narcissus was beautiful. I weep because, each time he knelt beside my banks, I could see, in the depths of his eyes, my own beauty reflected."
No. Most, if not all, of the bands I listen to now were found by discovery and acquired taste.
My dad listens to country and classic rock and my mom likes alternative rock, so my tastes are obviously more influenced by my mom, but the first rock band I really got into was Rush, thanks to my dad. Still my absolute favorite band, even though I don't listen to them as much as I used to.

tl;dr: Yes.
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
My parents: some classic rock, older country, CCM
Me: some CCM, black metal, power metal, deathcore...nope
sunbather is shit
At first yeah, but I branched off later. I still like and regularly listen to bands my mom and dad likes, like The Allman Brothers Band and The Beatles, but I also like Classical, IDM and Modern Rock.
nope. i appreciate both kinds of music. country and western.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
nope. i appreciate both kinds of music. country and western.

lol...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSZfUnCK5qk

Yeah, I'd say so. My dad got me started on playing guitar, taught me the basics. The first music I really got into was the stuff he listened to a lot (60s and 70s classic rock, blues, classic country & bluegrass etc), but since then I've expanded to other genres like metal as well.
No. My Brother is who got me into most of the music I listen to.

Back in the 90's he was replacing his tapes with CD's and would give me a tape each time I went to his place. Got me a nice wooden tape holder/storage thing as well. He gave me everything from the dookie tape, Pantera, Skid Row, Tesla, etc. Some stuff he would not give me though, because it had too much swearing (I was only a kid) Also gave me my frist CD, which was Black Sabbath - Master of reality.

EDIT: I can also add that my Mom is a huge fan of Jazz and classical. which I do like. My Dad just listens to anything he thinks sounds bad ass. Then he replays the song 12 times in a row
Last edited by Scissortooth at Jul 12, 2011,
My parents were both Classic Rock junkies and my mum listened to stuff like Megadeth and Slayer, now I'm a person who's musical tastes are frozen in 1986.
Most definitely not. I hate all of their favorite music haha.
This is why I don't like arguing on the internet.
Quote by damian_91
If only you could back that statement up.
Quote by Zombee
Wolfgang's Philadelphia Study. Look it up yourself.
Quote by damian_91
No need to, absurd generalizations aren't my thing.
Definitely. I like a lot of stuff that my dad doesn't, but he's showed me some cool music over the years.
AMERICA
AMERICA
AMERICA
When I was younger, I'd only listen to music they hated. So yes, in that sense.

As far as my tastes now, not in a long shot.
Yes. Definitely. Yes.
Quote by maiden03
Ahhh damn you vinc3nt!

Downpressor man

Where you gonna run to

All along that day

੧_\\\
Page 1 of 3