Bought an Epi Les Paul Standard last month used.
Bought a Tone Zone/ Air Norton set covered in nickle for it.
Gibson pots, switch. All New wiring (by me).

I paid 200$ cdn plus got 50$ for the Emg 81 that was in it.
Sounds great. But the neck size is killing me. Terrible upper fret access, strings are pretty close together.

What would be a good asking price for this?
It is a little damaged, a wee chip outta the headstock, and 2 little dings in the flame top.

150$ guitar
160$ pups
100$ in random parts.
-------
410$ + my labour.

Can I get my money back or should I just keep it?

Heres some pics: (with old pup)
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1455440
Replacing the pickups will significantly reduce the guitar's value i'm afraid. You spent all that money on pickups for nothing.

Edit: Actually i'm not sure. you spent $150 getting the guitar. You may as well sell it i suppose. You won't really make a loss as such. I thought you bought the guitar as of new. In which case, the guitar would of lost a lot of value.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jul 12, 2011,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Replacing the pickups will significantly reduce the guitar's value i'm afraid. You spent all that money on pickups for nothing.

Edit: Actually i'm not sure. you spent $150 getting the guitar. You may as well sell it i suppose. You won't really make a loss as such. I thought you bought the guitar as of new. In which case, the guitar would of lost a lot of value.

How does that work? Im not sure what it had originally (emg 81 when I got it) but since its not vintage how would upgrading pickups reduce value? They sound pretty f'n sweet.
you'll be able to get the going rate for that model and that's about it. you certainly can't expect to get paid for your labour. upgrades don't necessarily devalue the guitar but they more often than not don't add value either. unless you foind a buyer that really wants your exact upgrades then don't expect to be able to add them on the price. the one thing thye will do for you is make the guitar stand out from the crowd and perhaps seem like a good deal.
Quote by DimebagZappa
How does that work? Im not sure what it had originally (emg 81 when I got it) but since its not vintage how would upgrading pickups reduce value? They sound pretty f'n sweet.

It's reletive. If you spent a lot of money on pickups, that doesn't mean the guitar'svalue is going to increase as the guitar is no longer all original.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
I know what you meant about it having horrible fret access. I had to get used to it, once I did it isn't that bad to be honest. Give a month or so. If you still don't like it you can still sell it for whatever you want. Plus, if you take the Dimarzios out and put the old pups back in, you could always sell them seperately
Edit: Never mind, I'm a retard. If I actually could I would send you my epi pickups from mine since I have no use for them. Oh well
Gear:
Shecter Omen 6 with Seymour Duncan SH-6
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Frontman 25r (crappy)
MXR CAE WAH
Digitech HardWire TL-2 Metal Distortion (Makes the amp sound not shitty)
Last edited by DamagingExcess at Jul 12, 2011,
I'd check eBay for a set of cheap Epiphone pickups, throw those in there, and then sell it or what you can get.

Tone Zone/ Air Norton is a great set of pickups, you could get a cheap used Ibanez and throw those in there.
Quote by W4RP1G
I'd check eBay for a set of cheap Epiphone pickups, throw those in there, and then sell it or what you can get.

Tone Zone/ Air Norton is a great set of pickups, you could get a cheap used Ibanez and throw those in there.

Lol. I actually bought the pups for my Rg370dx but ended up buying the epi before they made it here.
Im still not quite sure about this guitar. The tone of the wood and resonance is fantastic.
But it plays like a brick and may not have a decent resale.
So i'll give it a couple months to see if I can adjust I suppose.
Thanks for the advice all.