Im trying to find the best Metallica sound, i figured the first step is a good modeling amp. I only want a 30 watt model, i have a peavey Vypyr 75 and its way too loud im trying to sell right now.

But i know they use ESP Guitars Which are like £1000, and mostly use Mesa Boogies to get there sound but still too expensive.

This is for my own entertainment and might think about small gigs and recording.

So What Amps would you recommend for a good metallica sound, and that is diverse for my entertainment, and can still get a great tone, would you still recomend a Peavey Pypyr 30 Watt?

Any Info on Metallica and Amps will be Appreciated, im doing a lot of research

Thanks
Well, you really cant get their sound without their amps, which are Dual Recs, earlier sound comes from marshalls, and Kirk has a new signature Randall amp. They both use Active pickups on their guitars, which are mostly ESP, but some Gibson Les Pauls mixed in there.

Basically, you really can't match their tone without getting an expensive ass amp.
Where's Waldo?
emg
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
Really depends on which album you are going for

Probably the most sought after tone is master of puppets, which was a mesa pre into a marshall power amp, which is almost impossible to recreate now.

If you are looking for like the black album, then its basically just a bunch of multi tracks of mesa amps.

A modeler like the vypyr would get you in the neighborhood. Revalver is better, axe fx is the best, but the cost starts to spiral upward.
Guitars
Amps
Quote by Matt15f
Really depends on which album you are going for

Probably the most sought after tone is master of puppets, which was a mesa pre into a marshall power amp, which is almost impossible to recreate now.

If you are looking for like the black album, then its basically just a bunch of multi tracks of mesa amps.

A modeler like the vypyr would get you in the neighborhood. Revalver is better, axe fx is the best, but the cost starts to spiral upward.

At the price of buying Axe FX he could basically just buy a Mesa...

Don't forget about the ElevenRack, TS, though I'm not familiar with the prices.
Where's Waldo?
Thanks for the replies, so ill still stick with getting the Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt as a start, and start saving for a MESA Is this a good idea?
You have a Vypyr 75 and you can't get close to their tone for home use?

Sumting wong dere. Have you tried scrounging the interwebz for settings?
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
doesnt James use a bunch of mesa Triaxis preamps and a few Deizels?

the cleans are also a Roland JC-120 right?
Quote by Jake789521
Thanks for the replies, so ill still stick with getting the Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt as a start, and start saving for a MESA Is this a good idea?

Keep your current amp and start saving for a decent amp [such as a mesa]... Cut out the middle
Oh, and check here for an extensive amp setup for james, his tone has changed a fair bit from kill em all to where it is, so a specific era would be nice:
http://www.freewebs.com/montyjay/jamesamps.html
RIP Gooze

cats
Quote by Seanthesheep
doesnt James use a bunch of mesa Triaxis preamps and a few Deizels?

the cleans are also a Roland JC-120 right?

I heard about the Triaxis, but not the Diezel. I know he used a JC120 for Fade to Black, not sure about others.

Also TS, if you're trying to replicate the tone off an album, I'd say good luck. Even the most basic records (with the exception of tr00 m3t47 oh the silly vikings in facepaint), will have some layering, use of multiple/different amps, EQing, post-production processing etc. It'd be pretty hard to literally import a tone outta your CDs.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
I use my Vypyr 75 for a good black albumish type sound. Would you like me to go look at my settings and tell you them?
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
I have a Vypyr and I'd say it is a good platform to get started. I wouldn't call it a professional tone but it is very workable. You've got Brit, Plexi, Diezel, Dual Rec, JSX etc to work with. I agree that there should be no reason to move from the 75 to the 30 like kitty was saying. Also, as mentioned, it depends on which album you are going for.

What settings are you using now?
make your own sound we've heard metallica already
"Rise and rise again until lambs become lions!"
Quote by Kalo Hanaka
No, you shouldn't pour beer on your guitar.
btw: their guitars are customs ( and they are like 8000$

buy a EC-1000 and a VH4 and JAMM!!!!
Quote by RetroGunslinger
using nines for drop C# is like stringing the guitar with spaghetti

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Mesa/Boogie Simul 295 Stereo
Framus FR212 v30
K, so what era?

First two albums are a Marshall 1959 Super Lead that's modded and various overdrive pedals were used for the leads. Any good hot stock pickups would be goood for the tone. RTL had a stock Explorer manning the Rhythm tones.

Next two used a Mesa Mark IIC preamp through the Marshall power section, using EMG equipped guitars (plus an Invader in James' old V on MOP).

After that, it's the Triaxis, Recto, Deizel VH4, Randall RM100, etc.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by Tunder250
btw: their guitars are customs ( and they are like 8000$

buy a EC-1000 and a VH4 and JAMM!!!!

If you can afford a VH4, you can afford an Eclipse II as a posed to an EC-1000
Quote by Shinozoku
First two albums are a Marshall 1959 Super Lead that's modded and various overdrive pedals were used for the leads. Any good hot stock pickups would be goood for the tone.

Haha... no way anyone's gonna be able to obtain the tone of that mythical, magical Marshall now, other than the that stole it.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I have a Vypyr and I'd say it is a good platform to get started. I wouldn't call it a professional tone but it is very workable. You've got Brit, Plexi, Diezel, Dual Rec, JSX etc to work with. I agree that there should be no reason to move from the 75 to the 30 like kitty was saying. Also, as mentioned, it depends on which album you are going for.

What settings are you using now?

Well the only reason im selling my 75 Watt is that it is way too loud for my house, even on volume 1, so i thought a 30 watt would be better.

Umm i use Rec and use some reverb on high gain, but every tone i look at on the web uses a different amp model, which doesnt make sense seeing as metallica only used a few amps :/
Quote by Jake789521
Well the only reason im selling my 75 Watt is that it is way too loud for my house, even on volume 1, so i thought a 30 watt would be better.

Umm i use Rec and use some reverb on high gain, but every tone i look at on the web uses a different amp model, which doesnt make sense seeing as metallica only used a few amps :/

Doesn't the 75 have both a master and channel volume? You should get a very low volume by dialing both down real low.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
I think it does, i think the channel volume is called Post Gain, but it is still too big, and just takes the fun out of playing guitar for me, but thats just an opinion, at least i chose the right amp.

Another question, i found some EMG 81 And 85 Pickups im guessing one for the bridge and one for the neck, Could i install these on a Ibanez GAX30, do you think it will be worth it?
^ I don't think active pups will make much difference on a Vypyr but I read somewhere else (the Vypyr Thread maybe) where people were saying it does.

yeah the post gain is basically your channel volume. master is master.

can you go to a store and play the 75 side by side with the 30?
Not on that guitar.

And you gotta understand that since you're using a modeling amp you can get good tone out of it at low volumes. You will have no advantages going down to the 30 watt model. The overall volume isn't that different IIRC as well..

While you're running such a minimalist setup you can't exactly duplicate their tone but with the vypyr you should come reasonably close. With all the different amps you should be able to get the tones from the various albums.
If you have vypyr, try this, Red Rectifier as the amp X boost as the stompbox both parameters at 12 o clock in edit mode. Bypass on effects, lows at 1 or 2 o clock, mids at 9, highs at 5 or 4 (full).

Also, hold the 4th preset button when powering up to change the voicing to darker voicing.

I think that would give a decent MOP tone
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Godin Velocity
Peavey Vypyr 15 Watt
AMT WH1 Japanese Girl Wah
Marshall BB-2 Boost/OD
Joyo JF-07 Classic Flanger
Joyo JF-37 Analog Chorus
Quote by ragingkitty
Haha... no way anyone's gonna be able to obtain the tone of that mythical, magical Marshall now, other than the that stole it.

Yep, I bet Marshall would pay squillions to get their hands on that or the Beano amp to discover what made them tick. Either of those amps would be a fine release for their 50th anniversary. But we all know it's probably gonna be an MG.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by TheAbsentOne
Not on that guitar.

And you gotta understand that since you're using a modeling amp you can get good tone out of it at low volumes. You will have no advantages going down to the 30 watt model. The overall volume isn't that different IIRC as well..

While you're running such a minimalist setup you can't exactly duplicate their tone but with the vypyr you should come reasonably close. With all the different amps you should be able to get the tones from the various albums.

I am aware that tube amps only sound good when turned up, and as for my modelling amp im only hoping to sell it to get some cash back and have a smaller setup that i can just pick up and play, you see i dont play in a band or anything.

I just wanna play on a 30 watt for fun for now. Ok then i wont bother about the pickups thanks, Another quick question, how does the sound change when you use the switch on the guitar, Is it changing to another pickup( Lets say the one closest to the bridge ) And is it just recording the sound from that part of the strings.

Or are the two pickups different and record in a different way if ya know what i mean ?

Thank you guys
Quote by ragingkitty

Yeah... Though I thought There were two of them. One on KEA, then that was stolen and James got another one that was modded...

Either way, the Randy Rhoads tribute gets damn close
Quote by Jake789521
I am aware that tube amps only sound good when turned up, and as for my modelling amp im only hoping to sell it to get some cash back and have a smaller setup that i can just pick up and play, you see i dont play in a band or anything.

I just wanna play on a 30 watt for fun for now. Ok then i wont bother about the pickups thanks, Another quick question, how does the sound change when you use the switch on the guitar, Is it changing to another pickup( Lets say the one closest to the bridge ) And is it just recording the sound from that part of the strings.

Or are the two pickups different and record in a different way if ya know what i mean ?

Thank you guys

Towards the neck is the neck pickup. Think the little shorts solos in Fade To Black. They use the neck pickup. The bridge is where most of the rhythms are played.

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.

Last edited by Shinozoku at Jul 14, 2011,
Quote by Shinozoku
Yeah... Though I thought There were two of them. One on KEA, then that was stolen and James got another one that was modded...

Either way, the Randy Rhoads tribute gets damn close

Towards the neck is the neck pickup. Think the little shorts solos in Fade To Black. They use the neck pickup. The bridge is where most of the rhythms are played.

Ahh yeah ive noticed towards the neck is more clean so makes sense, But are the neck and bridge pickups different pickups entirely ( Like EMG 81 And EMG 85 ) ?
Quote by Jake789521
Ahh yeah ive noticed towards the neck is more clean so makes sense, But are the neck and bridge pickups different pickups entirely ( Like EMG 81 And EMG 85 ) ?

It depends.

On a cheap guitar, you'll frequently see the exact same pickup (wound roughly the same, maybe about 5% difference) in the neck and bridge positions. This makes the neck pickup muddy and MUCH louder than the bridge pickup.

Other companies provide a cooler wind (or just a lower strength magnet, or both) for the neck pickup.

This is ideal because the strings vibrate over a wider distance over the neck pickup area, thus providing more lows and mids naturally. By using a weaker wind, the pickup itself doesn't have as much low end or midrange, so it evens out the tone more.

I prefer something like an EMG 60 in the neck with the 81 in the bridge, or an 85 bridge and 60A neck, because the 60 is a cleaner pickup.

Stupid name.

Quote by Cathbard
Yep, I bet Marshall would pay squillions to get their hands on that or the Beano amp to discover what made them tick. Either of those amps would be a fine release for their 50th anniversary. But we all know it's probably gonna be an MG.

Thank goodness I no longer GAS for a Marshall... sadly enough I GAS for more expensive things.

Quote by Shinozoku

ITs one and the same right? Which is why every time they talk about the tone on the old albums Kirk goes on reminiscing about that one Marshall and how they could never get that tone again.

I think the RR one gets close... because I think the same tech worked on both their amps I think.

Anyways, you've not replied to my message mate.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )