Alright, I am 16 I currently take guitar lessons from Neoclassical Shred Master Matthew Mills! He has recommended that I consider going to either Berklee College of Music or Musicians Institute...Here is the problem...They are very expensive and have low acceptance rates! What other schools can I go to that offer a CONTEMPORARY music performance program? I do not want to play guitar with an orchestra!
I have no idea!

edit: did you seriously just bump this thread 1 minute after creating it..
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
Google a little. I know EXACTLY what you mean about not wanting to jam with an orchestra. In the UK there are plenty of music academies which accept you at 16 and you can leave with qualifications. Tonnes of amazing bands went to those sorts of things. Well worth it if you're considering that sort of musical career.

Your teacher probably told you about Berkeley coz Neo-Classical guitarists have a good grasp of classical concepts (duh) but studying classical guitar isn't a bad thing. Rhodes was gonna leave Ozzy to do just that.

Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
ESP LTD MH-1000NT
Marshall AVT100
Boss ME-70

Quote by stratdud39
Thank you for your words of wisdom.
Quote by s-o-u-l-f-l-y
Google a little. I know EXACTLY what you mean about not wanting to jam with an orchestra. In the UK there are plenty of music academies which accept you at 16 and you can leave with qualifications. Tonnes of amazing bands went to those sorts of things. Well worth it if you're considering that sort of musical career.

Your teacher probably told you about Berkeley coz Neo-Classical guitarists have a good grasp of classical concepts (duh) but studying classical guitar isn't a bad thing. Rhodes was gonna leave Ozzy to do just that.

Very informative! I just want some where inexpensive and where I am actually gonna learn how to be a contemporary virtuoso like Paul Gilbert, Van Halen or whoever.
Quote by ickypop
Alright, I am 16 I currently take guitar lessons from Neoclassical Shred Master Matthew Mills! He has recommended that I consider going to either Berklee College of Music or Musicians Institute...Here is the problem...They are very expensive and have low acceptance rates! What other schools can I go to that offer a CONTEMPORARY music performance program? I do not want to play guitar with an orchestra!

The first thing any guitar performance major studies is classical technique.
Capital University in Columbus OH. i know some people that got into berklee, but they didn't go due to money, now they are here. PLus everyone here gets some sort of FinAid. its less than $40,000 as well.
Quote by ickypop
I do not want to play guitar with an orchestra!

You should go to Herpaderp College of Ego

Quote by s-o-u-l-f-l-y

Your teacher probably told you about Berkeley coz Neo-Classical guitarists have a good grasp of classical concepts (duh)

I don't think anyone could be more misguided about classical music than "neo-classical" guitarists.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Jul 12, 2011,
McNally-Smith College of Music, St. Paul MN. From what I hear, it's pretty good. I'm thinking of applying there myself, but for Production/Engineering. Here: http://mcnallysmith.edu/
Quote by Trowzaa
I can't look at anything starting with BB and not thinking big busty.
Big Busty Queefing.
Quote by Xiaoxi

I don't think anyone could be more misguided about classical music than "neo-classical" guitarists.
Neo-Classical is just a misnomer.

Anyway, try googling. It takes 2min. It's not hard. I just did a quick search and found tons of results. Now, you try, TS.
Quote by LesPaulGuy1
McNally-Smith College of Music, St. Paul MN. From what I hear, it's pretty good. I'm thinking of applying there myself, but for Production/Engineering. Here: http://mcnallysmith.edu/

I went there for a year, and it's pretty sweet. Their production program is top notch, they've got more than a few professional quality studios that you get to record in, and the professors all work in the industry so they know their shit.

It's a bitch if you decide to transfer out though because any, "normal" college won't transfer their credits.

Quote by ickypop

Maybe that's why you don't have a music career.

And neither do you. You're basically saying there is the equivalent of, "Oh yeah, well my dad can beat up your dad."
Last edited by wizards? at Jul 12, 2011,
Quote by ickypop
Very informative! I just want some where inexpensive and where I am actually gonna learn how to be a contemporary virtuoso like Paul Gilbert, Van Halen or whoever.

Your welcome! As I said, google some places around where you live, bright future ahead for you it seems!

I was gonna play guitar for the rest of my life too, then I applied to law school...sigh.

ESP LTD MH-1000NT
Marshall AVT100
Boss ME-70

Quote by stratdud39
Quote by ickypop
Misguided huh? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M31WJ5W0IFs&feature=channel_video_title

Maybe that's why you don't have a music career.

I apologize. You're right. Music careers are born out of lazily relying on others to do simple tasks like researching what music school to go to instead of hunkering down yourself to do it. You are off to a much better start than I'd ever be.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by wizards?
I went there for a year, and it's pretty sweet. Their production program is top notch, they've got more than a few professional quality studios that you get to record in, and the professors all work in the industry so they know their shit.

It's a bitch if you decide to transfer out though because any, "normal" college won't transfer their credits.

And neither do you. You're basically saying there is the equivalent of, "Oh yeah, well my dad can beat up your dad."

It's obvious I don't, hence why I am looking for a college to help prepare me for a music career, hopefully. However, that school you went to looks nice.
Quote by Xiaoxi

Kinda shot yourself in the foot there didn't you? Calling someone egotistical for not wanting to play with an Orchestra and then flaming neo-classical guitarists...

I will assume you have at least heard of Malmsteen? Half that shit is influenced from Bach so...

And I assure you there are other FAR more misguided about classical music.

ESP LTD MH-1000NT
Marshall AVT100
Boss ME-70

Quote by stratdud39
Quote by s-o-u-l-f-l-y
Kinda shot yourself in the foot there didn't you? Calling someone egotistical for not wanting to play with an Orchestra and then flaming neo-classical guitarists...

I will assume you have at least heard of Malmsteen? Half that shit is influenced from Bach so...

Thank you!
Quote by ickypop
Thank you!

ESP LTD MH-1000NT
Marshall AVT100
Boss ME-70

Quote by stratdud39
Quote by ickypop
It's obvious I don't, hence why I am looking for a college to help prepare me for a music career, hopefully. However, that school you went to looks nice.

And the fact that you're acting like a child is going to hinder you... That and if you only play shred you'll be switching majors after first semester because there won't be a single shred/metal/rock class in your schedule for a good year and a half.
TS, good job flaming a current Berklee student.

Quote by Pat_s1t
I remember Das_Skittles made me rage hard.

Quote by WCPhils
I can't stand Das_Skittles everything he says makes me mad.

Quote by due 07
Skittles is the shit you cuntles. Slob on his knob.

My Band Youtube Channel Last.fm
Quote by wizards?
And the fact that you're acting like a child is going to hinder you... That and if you only play shred you'll be switching majors after first semester because there won't be a single shred/metal/rock class in your schedule for a good year and a half.

"Shred" is just a mainstream term for playing "fast". I think you can play anything fast...last time I checked. The fact that your conversation is invalid renders you void to the thread. Begone....
Quote by s-o-u-l-f-l-y

Considering that an orchestral guitarist is a solo position reserved for the best auditioning player, you'd must have an overinflated ego to assume you'd get that position before you even know what it involves.

Flaming neo classical guitarists doesn't require an ego.

Thank you for proving my point.

There are others who have no clue about classical music, and that's still better than being as misguided as suggesting that Malmsteen has credible influence from Bach.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
*stuff*

Quote by Pat_s1t
I remember Das_Skittles made me rage hard.

Quote by WCPhils
I can't stand Das_Skittles everything he says makes me mad.

Quote by due 07
Skittles is the shit you cuntles. Slob on his knob.

My Band Youtube Channel Last.fm
Quote by wizards?

True. TS sounds like a kid.
Quote by ickypop
"Shred" is just a mainstream term for playing "fast". I think you can play anything fast...last time I checked. The fact that your conversation is invalid renders you void to the thread. Begone....

I'm sorry, but as someone that's actually spent time at college studying music, I actually know what I'm talking about. I can sum up your entire first year for you in three topics. Classical training, sight reading, and jazz standards. If you think you're going to be doing anything other than that for at least your first year(probably longer seeing as the pass/fail ratio in my class in sight reading and classical training was 1/3).
Quote by niejel
True. TS sounds like a kid.

Love the avatar.
Quote by Bill43

I wouldn't know an Opeth song from an Egg McMuffin
You can usually study music at any college, as long as they offer it. I knew a guy that studied classical guitar at a community college and he was badass, could play left handed and right handed
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Quote by JAHellraiser
You can usually study music at any college, as long as they offer it. I knew a guy that studied classical guitar at a community college and he was badass, could play left handed and right handed

Sounds legit
Quote by Xiaoxi
Considering that an orchestral guitarist is a solo position reserved for the best auditioning player, you'd must have an overinflated ego to assume you'd get that position before you even know what it involves.

Flaming neo classical guitarists doesn't require an ego.
Thank you for proving my point.

There are others who have no clue about classical music, and that's still better than being as misguided as suggesting that Malmsteen has credible influence from Bach.

wow, Ima gonna leave this now. Sorry, but you really fit the arrogant classical stereotype and I probably fit the ignorant metalhead stereotype...the world goes on. Enjoy Berklee.

ESP LTD MH-1000NT
Marshall AVT100
Boss ME-70

Quote by stratdud39