Does anyone have an example of one? I can't for the life of me think of a civil war that has occurred in a first-world nation in the last 50 years. I assume this is because first-world nations usually work out their problems one way or another (regardless of acceptability of outcome) before things deteriorate to the point of war.

Now, a clarification before my next statement: I do not believe the US is headed for civil war. That's out of the way then, good. Now, I do observe an ever-growing rift between the left and right with no sign of letting up. I was just curious as to whether or not anyone has an example of a split like this leading to anything more in the contemporary world.
I think the reason that there haven't been civil wars in first-world nations is because the army is too damn advanced to be threatened by its own civilian population. It's not that we're more civilized, but rather because most people in first-world countries acknowledge that if push came to shove, the national military could obliterate any burgeoning rebellion long before it could even hope to stand toe-to-toe with the military.
I don't know it can be said of any modern 1st world nation that there's been a rift significant enough to be a civil war.
It doesn't happen in first world countries because of negative propaganda towards any true populist movement. Look up Chomsky's works on propaganda and the mass media in the US for good examples.
Quote by Geldin
I think the reason that there haven't been civil wars in first-world nations is because the army is too damn advanced to be threatened by its own civilian population. It's not that we're more civilized, but rather because most people in first-world countries acknowledge that if push came to shove, the national military could obliterate any burgeoning rebellion long before it could even hope to stand toe-to-toe with the military.

That. And the outcome, especially for a country as powerful as the U.S., would be disastrous.

Edit: I also agree with due. If you point out any flaws and disagree with extremly patriotic propaganda, evrybody will call you a "spoiled brat" for not respecting what America and all the freedom it stands for has done for you.
Last edited by slipknot5678 at Jul 12, 2011,
Quote by slipknot5678
That. And the outcome, especially for a country as powerful as the U.S., would be disastrous.

I can see the headlines now: "America invades itself on suspicion of having weapons of mass destruction"
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
1st world nations are 1st world nations because they don't have any problems that could cause civil war, maybe?
Every poster on here is a 6-foot Catholic schoolgirl with an 8-inch penis and riches beyond my wildest dreams.
Kinda like what slipknot5678 said: we love our stuff too much. Most of the developed world prefers the comforts that come with being the cream of the crop. I for one would much rather sit on my couch and play Modern Warfare 2 than go protest the whole debt ceiling debacle (partially because it's consistently over 100 degrees this time of year).

As for your actual question, within the last 50 years, no developed nation has had anything that could even remotely be called a civil war. The closest thing would be what Japan or Greece, with the former having four prime ministers in four years (I think, too lazy to Google) and the latter with large-scale riots and likely having to leave the EU. But that's it.
Quote by SonOfPest
Its the Lydian mode; formed in Eastern Arabia when the Persians invaded England.

Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
try the sexolydian scale.
Quote by barden1069
I can see the headlines now: "America invades itself on suspicion of having weapons of mass destruction"

HAHA! Hope they won't be dragging us Canadians along with them...
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus
Jackson King V
Jackson Kelly
Handmade Gibson Les Paul
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100/JCM900 1960 Lead cab
Quote by slipknot5678

Edit: I also agree with due. If you point out any flaws and disagree with extremly patriotic propaganda, evrybody will call you a "spoiled brat" for not respecting what America and all the freedom it stands for has done for you.
You forgot "Just saying that to look cool" and "Get out of your fantasy-land."

Quote by slipknot5678
True. Most leaders of nations don't want to see the power of their nation evaporate.
Quote by due 07
You forgot "Just saying that to look cool" and "Get out of your fantasy-land."

I did, but "spoiled brat" is the one I'm most commonly called. That and "damn hippie communist", even when it's completely irrelevant.
Quote by slipknot5678
I did, but "spoiled brat" is the one I'm most commonly called. That and "damn hippie communist", even when it's completely irrelevant.

I think it just comes with the turf. You've got to embrace that shit.
Quote by due 07

I think it just comes with the turf. You've got to embrace that shit.

I do, in most cases.

Also, I just now realised the irony of "get out of your fantasy land".
Quote by jwd724
As for your actual question, within the last 50 years, no developed nation has had anything that could even remotely be called a civil war. The closest thing would be what Japan or Greece, with the former having four prime ministers in four years (I think, too lazy to Google) and the latter with large-scale riots and likely having to leave the EU. But that's it.

No
Would the Spanish Civil War count?
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by slipknot5678

We would just nuke ourselves until every American was dead, then Canada and Mexico would take over what's left.