i know how to them but the problem is that they seem like a stretch for your fingers on guitar. its acutally pretty easy on a piano but for guitar i find it impossible to find the notes close to eachother, theres always one note thats like 4 half notes way from the first note. i mean are they suppose to be like that? i mean its not uncomfortable but it seems like a stretch, but is it ok?

example

f# 7th domiant chord.

i leave the 6 string open (E). fret the the 9th fret on 5th string (f#) , A# on the 8th fret of the 4th string and finaly C# on the 5 frett of the 3rd string. as you can see c# is the big stretch one but i cant seem to find a better option for an F# 7th domiant chord.
Barre shapes:

B|-7-|
G|-5-|
D|-7-|
A|-5-|

G|-6-|
D|-5-|
A|-7-|
E|-5-|
Nothing that is worthwhile in life will ever come easy.
Quote by shreddymcshred
in root position, from low to high

F# C# E A# C# F#

ty it works, but i dont understand how thats a root position chord. if just starts on f its root poisition? i thought there was an order that had to be followed
Quote by harvestkingx
ty it works, but i dont understand how thats a root position chord. if just starts on f its root poisition? i thought there was an order that had to be followed

No, the bass note is what matters for determining inversions (or lack thereof.)
Quote by soviet_ska
No, the bass note is what matters for determining inversions (or lack thereof.)

so aslong as you have used all the notes and one note is the bass, its still the chord?
Quote by harvestkingx
so aslong as you have used all the notes and one note is the bass, its still the chord?

Well if the Bass note is also the root note, then it's the chird. But say I used an A" as my Bass; it's still the chord, but would be considered F#7/A# or a "slash chord" It's actually an inversion.

Best,

Sean
ok ty also the forumla works for almost all domiant chords its works for C and Ab domaint chords.

Now im trying to find a f# major 7 if anyone wants to help they can but im going to try to find one on my own.
Quote by harvestkingx
i know how to them but the problem is that they seem like a stretch for your fingers on guitar. its acutally pretty easy on a piano but for guitar i find it impossible to find the notes close to eachother, theres always one note thats like 4 half notes way from the first note. i mean are they suppose to be like that? i mean its not uncomfortable but it seems like a stretch, but is it ok?

example

f# 7th domiant chord.

i leave the 6 string open (E). fret the the 9th fret on 5th string (f#) , A# on the 8th fret of the 4th string and finaly C# on the 5 frett of the 3rd string. as you can see c# is the big stretch one but i cant seem to find a better option for an F# 7th domiant chord.

do you play classical piano? you're going to find that it's pretty uncommon for you to be playing a root position 1-3-5-b7 -- usually they're voiced. some jazz will do that, though, but a lot of the time, block chords aren't used.

apply the same thing to the guitar. block chords on guitar are possible (for triads and some seventh chords in particular areas), but not always very practical.

learn to voice things well and it'll solve so many problems.

Quote by harvestkingx

if it's a chord built off F#, and there's an F# in the bass, regardless of what the other notes are (or where they lie), it's always going to be a root position chord.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Last edited by AeolianWolf at Jul 13, 2011,
lol i dont play piano i just know the fundementals, i also have a keyboard so i tested and the fact that you have two hands is easy lol, but i do wish i could play the piano at times. I cant get piano lesson yet cause im buggin my mom to get me into classical guitar lessons cause my uncle said it will improve any guitar player. Also randy rhoads plays classical too so i know my uncle isnt lying about. i just cant find a damn one in the halifax area lol.

voice things? lol never heard of that, please explian what you mean by that?
Last edited by harvestkingx at Jul 13, 2011,
Quote by harvestkingx

I think he's referring to implying these chordal patterns, not just pounding them out. Like, playing a melody over a major chord with a b7 present will set the tone for a dominant 7th chord.
Quote by harvestkingx

here's a basic lesson on it: http://www.8notes.com/school/theory/voicing_chords.asp

voicing basically refers to the arrangement of chords. if i play an F#7 chord on guitar, chances are i'm not going to play it as a block chord - 1-3-5-b7. if i play the E7 barre shape (242322), i'm playing 1-5-b7-3-5-1. but it's still an F#7 chord.

if i were to score it for orchestra, i could have a bassoon play a low, low F#, a cello play a fairly low C# an octave and half above the F#, a clarinet play an E an octave and a third above the C#, and a violin play a high A# an octave and a sixth above it. there's some tremendous space between all four notes (all between an octave and two octaves, so that the chord encompasses more than four octaves), but it's still an F#7 chord.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.