Here is a song of my bands. We have been doing some self recording at home and I just want some input on how it sound. Its a really rough version so i haven't cleaned it up yet. Just wondering about the mix and such.. Thanks!

What Lies Beneath
Gear
Guitars-
Paul Reed Smith SE Custom
Paul Reed Smith Mike Mushok Baritone
Squire Bullet
Carlos Acoustic
Epiphone Banjo
Amps-
Mesa Boogie DC-5
B-52 LS-100 and Matching cab
and tons of miscellaneous stuff
Last edited by ultimate-rocker at Jul 13, 2011,
It sounds pretty good, from the sounds of things you weren't using a lot of expensive equipment or anything.

A couple things I did find were that at 1:53 ish you must have done some editing or something because there's a slight but noticable skip. Also, it sounds like the drums weren't mic-ed properly. Sounds like the bass drum is consistenly peaking in your recording, maybe the mic was too close? You really don't have to have to have them too close to get a good drum sound, I find.

One thing you could do is turn everything down and turn the bass drum down as well, and then raise the master volume until you get the desired levels and repeat as necessary. That might help if you don't want to re-record.

Also, I was just wondering, did you record bass at all? Cuz it's inaudible if you did.

Crit back if you please: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1456010

Keep on rocking!
Thanks for the advise! And yea I did record bass but I wasn't to sure where to put it in the mix.
Gear
Guitars-
Squire Bullet
Carlos Acoustic
Epiphone Banjo
Amps-
Mesa Boogie DC-5
Very good recording! The double tracking on the guitars sounds great, and the tone is very nice

The drums are tight (computer drums?), but they sound a bit raw at the moment. Perhaps add some slight reverb and compression to each part of the kit to make it sound more polished?

The mix is good overall. The bass is a bit quiet, but I agree with 'Leather Sleeves' regarding how to record it.

Good overall! The song has great potential! But bear in mind that vocals are the hardest to mix... perhaps upload a version with vocals as well?

Please could you comment on mine as well? (C4C)
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1460916
Thanks! As for the drums they aren't computer there just my drummer. Ill admit I was a little suprised how tight they turned out. Thank you for the guitar tone I wasn't to sure about it lol..

Ill experiment with some reverb on the drums and as far as vocals go ill upload that version as soon as i record them. And I will check out your song when I get home today.
Gear
Guitars-
Squire Bullet
Carlos Acoustic
Epiphone Banjo
Amps-
Mesa Boogie DC-5
And leather sleeves, i did di the bass but i just have the track on my daw turned down but ill bring it up more.
Gear
Guitars-
Squire Bullet
Carlos Acoustic
Epiphone Banjo
Amps-
Mesa Boogie DC-5