Hey Guys, I've got a question that I've been wondering about for a while. Is it possible to take certain parts of a circuit, in a guitar pedal, and, for example, create a pedal out of the things you like most out of other pedals? Say, you take the Drive part of an OCD, the Level part of a Tubescreamer, and so on. Is this possible? or is everything connected, and the pedal wouldn't work? Kind of confusing, but it's been on my mind for a while.
erm.. no thats not really how it works. The knobs are just variable resistors in the circuit that give specific sections in the circuit different voltages/ currents. You can, however, take the tone stack or amplification/ gain stages of a pedal and use it in another pedal. But definitely more complicated then you're suggesting. If you want to learn about it, check out the GB+C hub at the top sticky and find some threads about pedal building and design
are you thinking of making a big pedal board thing or something? the easiest way to do it would be to keep whole pedals and link then in series via their in and out jacks
Quote by michaelbot9000
erm.. no thats not really how it works. The knobs are just variable resistors in the circuit that give specific sections in the circuit different voltages/ currents. You can, however, take the tone stack or amplification/ gain stages of a pedal and use it in another pedal. But definitely more complicated then you're suggesting. If you want to learn about it, check out the GB+C hub at the top sticky and find some threads about pedal building and design

The guy said taking the CIRCUITS. So you just corrected a statement he didn't make, then told him he could do exactly what he was looking to do

Basically, yes. Learn to read schematics and isolate the certain parts of the circuit. For example.... Set up a pedal with say the 20db volume boost of a Way Huge Angry Troll, but give it a tone stack like a Boss Metal Zone and run the clipping circuit like a modded TS808 for asymmetrical diode clipping.

Not that I could read a schematic and do ANY of this... Just.. theoretically, yes.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Ahhh, Thank you Shinozoku! I'm about to take Electronics 1, and I thought this could be a cool little project to do.
Yeah shin is right. All circuits (not just effects) are made of smaller, simpler circuit fragments. There is no rule against taking fragments from different effects and combining them into yet another effect. Everyone has done it.