A few months ago i installed an EMG ALX Passive in my guitar and the instructions said that the existing ground wire was not needed so i cut it out, but it makes the most noise ive ever heard out of a guitar and when i touch metal in the chain (the guitar cable head or the carry bar on my pedal) it goes away.. should i have kept the ground wire?
even if you werent planning on using it surely you could have just bundled it up somewhere instead of cut it out completely? anyways, what they all said ^ im just being an ass.
My name is Greg, use it.

Sarcastic

Angry

Hopeful
i guess i went a bit excited when it said to 'remove all existing hardware' cos i couldnt stand my Epiphone hardware anymore :P

ethan it wasnt the ground wire of the pickup, it was the one on my guitar.
Always, ALWAYS use Google to help you with "D.I.Y" projects or installations. Somebody before you has done a pick up installation with that exact pick up, you just need to find them. The instructions only go so far, the trial and error of others is a good thing to have.
i guess so.

well im planning on replacing it with an EMG 81 cos i didnt like the ALX very much anyways. and even EMG videos say dont use the ground wire.
You prolly ripped out the ground wire to the bridge. With passive pickup guitars, the guitar grounds through the guitar strings, through your body, hence, why the buzzing goes away when you touch the jack or the metal on the cable, and nowhere else.
The ALX grounds through the jack like any old active pickup guys, there's no ground going the any part of the body. What guitar is it exactly? If it had a neck pickup you needed to keep the ground. If not, you just connected one of the wires to the wrong spot and it isn't grounding through the jack like it should. I've read some of the kits are missing the green grounding wire, that could also be your problem.
I play Lacrosse, you should too
Quote by reeses
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
the ALX is a passive, not an active.

Its an Epiphone Special II. :/

all the wiring has been checked by my guitar teacher, and the green one is definetly in there.
The ALX is passive but it runs through the ABQ which is a preamp, thus making it an active system, just like any ol' active pickup. If you knew anything about this set and the J-50BC/JE-1000 set you would know why it's an active rig. Did you follow these instructions when you installed it, or the instructions for the single pickup installation?
Quote by reeses

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
So do you have you neck pickup and selector set up or are they just in the body disconnected?
Quote by reeses

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
no neck pickup, not even a dummy sitting in there haha. ive covered it up with electrical tape, as well as the holes that the tone control and selector were in. just the bridge pickup.
Well after watching some videos of this thing, it does hum quite loudly when the gainboost is on regardless of any wiring issues, that could be all you're hearing. You should still get it looked at by a tech though.
Quote by reeses

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Last edited by Metalfan41 at Jul 13, 2011,
which is kinda wierd cos ive got a goodish noise gate turned 3/4 the way up to keep my sound, but it still doesnt do it all the way up. but like i said, im gonna try the 81