Ok I need some good, sound advice and I need it fast. Is there anyway I can fold my Jackson Kelly? The reason I ask is because I'm flying to Californication tomorrow and forgot to get a hardshell case. The concern is not so much about the guitar but the fact that I don't have the voice for another United Breaks Guitars video should it come to that.
Anything Ultimate-Guitar?
Detach the bolt on neck and carry it on.

Buy it it's own seat on the plane.

Ride your way to Californication on sweet sweet riffs, lul at planefags as you soar by.
Take the neck and strings off (after blocking the trem).
Store in a carry on bag.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by Nickpocalypse
Ride your way to Californication on sweet sweet riffs, lul at planefags as you soar by.

That is awesome
I think you could carry it on without removing the neck. Buy a seat if you have to.
I'm so happy. I get to eat a muffin.
Quote by space aids
You are so happy to eat a muffin it's kinda scary.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Goes around tryina light dudes on fire.
Quote by MakinLattes
Too much Sublime.

I tell a lie, there is no such thing.
Just buy a $25-$50 starting gun(Those little pistols that fire blanks to signal the beginning of a race. Much less dangerous than anything that fires lead rounds, and don't need to be registered), a case, and put it in the case, then tell them it's in there at the baggage check. Because you told them, due to the second amendment, it's legal in the US(Not sure about in Canada, but I'm pretty sure it's legal there too), and they'll assign a big armed guard to it to make sure the starter gun doesn't go off and your guitar(And gun, but that's not what you're concerned about here) arrives safe and sound and are delivered to you, and not mixed up with Noname McMaybehomicidal's suitcase.

Or something. I haven't read the article in at least half a year, but here it is:

http://lifehacker.com/5448014/pack-a-gun-to-protect-valuables-from-airline-theft-or-loss

Normally I hate guns, but this is too effective a solution to be stubborn about for keeping guitars safe on a plane.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
I would just do what everyone is saying, un-bolt the neck and carry it in a bag. You could probably wrap it in some towels or something, too, for extra cushion.
Unbolt it, put the guitar body in your suitcase right in between all your stuff and wrap the neck up and carry it on.

I did this with 2 guitars that I took with me when I moved to Europe this spring, no questions asked and no problems either. I had the 2 necks in my tennis bag along with 5 rackets, the guitar bodies where in suitcases that I checked in. I took off the FR bridge, loosened truss rod etc. I fly European airlines only as they are more lenient. I flew out of Toronto, and would never fly Air Canada as they are pricks when it comes to something like this. They'd make me check in my stuff. Good luck when you fly.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Last edited by DSOTM80 at Jul 13, 2011,
dont do the starter gun thing. bad idea. my dad is a big time old collectible firearms guy and has travel with REAL guns in proper luggage at airports. it takes him multiple hours with a team of surity guys to get him flying. i highly do not recommend do that for a guitar.

...and without the right precautions and cases, no "gun" is going to be allowed anywhere near the airport. you will probably be told to leave.

its in the amendments, however nothing says they can make regulations forcing you to follow the right precautions

anyways:

my les paul fits in overheads in a hard case. not super small regionals but ones going from SC to MD for example. across country? your good. you just need to worry about what happens with luggage moving in the overhead falling on your guitar.

if i were you, i would unscrew the truss rod a bit and take off the neck (and strings, duh).

edit:

that article is full of crap. they make it sound like its a normal thing. it doesnt mention the hours of extra BS associated with it. obviously that guy was protecting his camera so he took the precaution. but still. even today. My dad stopping doing this years ago. i cant imagine what would happen if you said "gun" in an airport now.

i mean, the security level is already at like super awesome extra orange all the time (whatever security level orange means). i would love to see what happens when a gun is brought up.

....another note: my dad gets stripsearched half nude because of a titanium hip replacement. TSA doesnt beleve him even though it beeps on his hip on bare skin.

50% of the TSA literally half a 2 digit IQ. might be the next closest thing to chimpanzees on this planet.
Last edited by ikey_ at Jul 13, 2011,
cut off the strings....take off the neck.....put the body in your backpack/carry on and the neck in a luggage. should of gotten that Gator case thats like A.T.A approved lol
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
I just remove the neck from the body and put the two pieces in a duffle bag full of clothes. Most necks are too long to fit in carry-on luggage anyway. Also, check with your airline, they all have different policies about just about everything that's not mandated by the FAA.

Quote by necrosis1193
Just buy a $25-$50 starting gun(Those little pistols that fire blanks to signal the beginning of a race. Much less dangerous than anything that fires lead rounds, and don't need to be registered), a case, and put it in the case, then tell them it's in there at the baggage check. Because you told them, due to the second amendment, it's legal in the US(Not sure about in Canada, but I'm pretty sure it's legal there too), and they'll assign a big armed guard to it to make sure the starter gun doesn't go off and your guitar(And gun, but that's not what you're concerned about here) arrives safe and sound and are delivered to you, and not mixed up with Noname McMaybehomicidal's suitcase.

Or something. I haven't read the article in at least half a year, but here it is:

http://lifehacker.com/5448014/pack-a-gun-to-protect-valuables-from-airline-theft-or-loss

Normally I hate guns, but this is too effective a solution to be stubborn about for keeping guitars safe on a plane.

Mind blown.

dont do the starter gun thing. bad idea. my dad is a big time old collectible firearms guy and has travel with REAL guns in proper luggage at airports.it takes him multiple hours with a team of surity guys to get him flying. i highly do not recommend do that for a guitar.

It's probably because he's either moving more than a few guns, or he's moving a blackpowder firearm. I can travel with a modern 9mm pistol and get from curb to gate in under an hour, depending on how long the line at security is.

Quote by ikey_
i cant imagine what would happen if you said "gun" in an airport now.
Absolutely nothing. Just declare that you have a gun, that it's in a case, show them that it's unloaded and the bolt is removed, and it's locked with a TSA approved lock. I mean, those are the rules they implemented after 9/11. Before, they just had you put it in a locked case and you needed a signature to pick it up. Actually, before 9/11 they didn't even have the TSA! Also, check with your airline if you do something like this.

Quote by ESPTRO
should of gotten that Gator case thats like A.T.A approved lol

ATA went out of business in 2008.

Also, about the "United Breaks Guitars" thing, it's not true. United no longer employs baggage handlers; they actually work for the airport. So what happened was that United rightfully denied compensation for damage that they didn't do. That guy was barking up the wrong tree, he should have been contacting the airport.

I spend a lot of time in airports.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Last edited by kangaxxter at Jul 13, 2011,
Fwiw...I flew from Arizona to Florida and brought it(fully assembled in a soft case)as a carry-on. I laid it on top of luggage in a compartment and made sure I I got it right away.
Epiphone LP100 (Ebony)
Peavey Vypyr 75
Last edited by sheepdawg at Jul 13, 2011,
true. he carried old collectible double barrel shotguns. sometimes between 2-6 at a time broken down and disassembed in a specially designed shotgun flight case thingy. he still said it was a royal pain, even years and years ago. he said TSA had to take out and inspec every bit of it. so 1 shotgun = 3-4 main parts x 2 or 6 shotguns. then repacking....its gets lengthy.

plus, they were worth a LOT of money (like as much as 6-12 PRS private stocks). so it was a huge fiasco.

back on topic:

take the guitar apart. i would if i could but cant with a set neck. i have traveled with my less a bunch of times. luckily, in its hard case it gits in every overhead ive been with. its a HUGE pain convincing the attendants to just let me get on teh darn plane and try it. they are programmed (programmed because nobody in an irport has basic human reasoning capability) to just tell you it wont fit and you need to check.

hell, i wont check my 400 dollar epiphone. if i was traveling with a custom guitar or god knows what else and had to check(guns, violin, etc i dont care) i would sh*t myself until i got off the plane and made sure its ok.
Quote by ikey_
its a HUGE pain convincing the attendants to just let me get on teh darn plane and try it. they are programmed (programmed because nobody in an irport has basic human reasoning capability) to just tell you it wont fit and you need to check.

That's because there's a limited amount of space in the overhead compartments, and due to the shape of a guitar case it can easily take up the space of up to three carry on bags, which is really necessary on shorter flights. Especally ones on RJs and A320s where overhead space is already at a premium. Imagine you're working as a promoter for a show that's seating only, you have pre-sold all 40 seats for $100 a seat (it's an example, so bear with me) and some big fat guy comes in, buys one ticket and expects to get the other two seats around him because that's the only way he'll fit in the venue. If he takes them, you obviously can't sell those two seats, so that's $200 out of your pocket and probably two pissed fans, because someone wanted "special" service at the same price.

It's basically the exact situation, so there's no reason to be mad at the employee's because they denied you a service that they never offered, and is technically against the rules which if you read the fine print on any ticket, they clearly give the maximum dimensions of a carry-on bag which is usually something around 22" X 14" X 9" or something like 54 linear inches (L + W + H) but varies from airline to airline.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Last edited by kangaxxter at Jul 14, 2011,