I've always wondered about this. I see a lot of utube vids that play other bands' songs, which is ok if you're just doing it for fun, but what if you wanted to take your group and go official. Is it wrong to play others' songs?
Do you mean a cover?
It's usually the venue's responsibility to pay the royalties for a cover song by a professional act. I don't know the mechanics of it.
You mean playing covers live?

There's nothing wrong with it. Usually just announce it's a cover and you're set.
Lots of bands play covers from time to time, and it's a reliable trick for touring bands just starting out, because it gives the crowd something familiar.
You have to play covers starting out, because otherwise people will listen to your music and go "What the ****? Who are these guys?" Playing a cover gives them a sing that they probably know and will sway them to listen when you sneak your own music in.
That's not all true. You don't HAVE to play covers, and people definitely do not always have that reaction, unless they're complete novices to their music scene.
Quote by blake1221
That's not all true. You don't HAVE to play covers, and people definitely do not always have that reaction, unless they're complete novices to their music scene.

Aye, look at Muse for example, even though they do some covers now, they started out as a band that did none, ever, and they've become huge.
^ that's because Muse is Muse. I find them to be very interesting. and their music is catchy. so I'll refraise my input.

Unless you are muse, or have lot's off really crazy sounding effects, play a couple of covers.
Yeah playing a cover song on utube. I know the feeling how you put a lot of effort into writing a song and then sometimes some other guy/gal might play YOUR song better than you and get credit for it. I know how that feels, but at the same time, it seems unpractical that you don't get to play your fav songs and share them on utube just for fun.
You have to make it your own though. YOu have to try to convey what that song means to you, don't just copy the original band.