Page 1 of 2
Basically i'm looking to get like 6 pedals, possibly 7 but 6 at the moment

I play in like a post hardcore/heavy rock band and i play lead guitar.

I basically need the boss tuner (TU-3) and boss noise suppressor (NS-2) for when i start to play live. So then i have 4 options!

I'm thinking at the moment

Boss Metal Zone pedal (MT-2)
Boss Reverb Pedal (RV-5)

And then possibly a Delay pedal (DD-6) and another softer distortion pedal but i'm not too sure. Any advice?
Lawl, if you're planning on getting a bunch of those you might as well get yourself a nice multi-effects processor. It's cheaper, there's more stuff you can do with it andyou don't seem like the kind of guy who cares a lot about true bypass or boutique pedals anyway, lawl

Seriously: there's thousands of mulit-effects bargains out there on eBay and such. And for the record, if it's not a Boss it doesn't mean it's not good

/] 三方 [\
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Dont buy a Metal Zone, its shite. What amp do you have?
MY METALZ YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Quote by angusfan16
Okay UG where's my refund and free xbox. I need It for my 80 yr old grandma. She needs a new flower pot
Last edited by leony03 at Jul 13, 2011,
You should just go for a Boss GT-10. It'll be cheaper, and you'll exponentially more functionality out of it. And it doesn't suck.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
You should just go for a Boss GT-10. It'll be cheaper, and you'll exponentially more functionality out of it. And it doesn't suck.

The amp modeling sucks donkey balls still.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Get a Ibanez tubescreamer.
Gibson Les Paul Standard

Mesa Boogie Mini Rectifier
Custom WG Cab with 2x12 Eminence Swamp Thang

Line 6 POD HD500
Quote by stykerwolf
Scrap all of those. Get a TC Electronics Polytune or Korg Pitchblack.

+1 on this, haven't tried the polytune but it looks great and would be my first choice if I was getting more pedals, and the pitchblack is a good tuner.

I'd go quality rather than quantity, I wouldn't put a number on it. Get stuff that will last, and build your board up slowly. I'd recomment the ISP Decimator noise gate rather than the boss, I just can't fault it. I say this over the boss because the ISP is so simple and effective, one dial to do it all, spend less time twiddling more time didling! Plus it has no negative effect on the tone when it is bypassed, atleast to my ear.

If your playing a decent tube amp I'd defiently recommend an OD pedal of some description for hardcore music, maybe the Digitech Bad Monkey, maybe something else.

For hardcore you won't probally be needing many (if any) modulation effects, but a bit of light delay would be good for solos and stuff, nothing crazy. Assuming your guitar hasn't got a killswitch I'd recommend getting a pedal based one - a few makers do them for as low as £20/$35 and they can sound mean in a hardcore setting, plus provides hours of fun.

You will probally want a pedal board assuming you don't have one already, and want to be gigging, Gator do this this one with a power supply for upto 8 pedals for a reasonable price, and you will also want some decentist patch cables.
Last edited by ragingben at Jul 13, 2011,
Get an rp1000. You can find them used from $275. It's got great amp modeling and effects. I have the rp355 and I highly recommend the rp1000.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Quote by ragingkitty

tube screamer, mxr fullbore metal, mxr carbon copy, ehx reverb, korg pitchblack, mxr phase 90
Yeah sorry i'm not only interested in Boss, Its just my guitar teacher uses mainly Boss and so did my previous one so i'm kind of used to him giving me advice around Boss pedals.

At the moment i'm only using a Roland Cube 80x, will be getting a new amp though before end of summer, hopefully a Marshall But yeah i'd rather not use a like multi effects pedal system kind of thing, I'd rather get like separate pedals and build my board up that way

I've heard a lot about that Metal Zone pedal being very good and the Ibanez Tube Screamer being good also, any advice about either of those?

And yeah forget about Budget atm i have enough to spend

Also about Pedal boards, i've been thinking about this board as i've heard lots of good things about it - http://www.pssl.com/Behringer-PB600-Effects-Pedal-Board-Case
The metal zone isn't that great, but it is what it is. There's other overdrives besides the tubescreamer. Theres the bad monkey, the boss Od-1, fulltone overdrive, etc. I'm just giving you some other options. Youre not going to get a great metal sound just from pedals. If you want a great metal sound it'll have to come mostly from your amp( like a jcm800, a dual rec, etc.)
I've never actually heard anyone talk about the bad monkey i might have to check it out, also i don't mean this in the wrong way but it just looks quite cheap and it is really cheap so i haven't really looked at it. Is it better than its price then?
Quote by jonny_page
I've never actually heard anyone talk about the bad monkey i might have to check it out, also i don't mean this in the wrong way but it just looks quite cheap and it is really cheap so i haven't really looked at it. Is it better than its price then?

It's a great od for the price. Take a listen to it. http://www.digitech.com/en-US/products/bad-monkey What's your budget for an od pedal?
Last edited by kutless999 at Jul 13, 2011,
Quote by jonny_page
Yeah sorry i'm not only interested in Boss, Its just my guitar teacher uses mainly Boss and so did my previous one so i'm kind of used to him giving me advice around Boss pedals.

At the moment i'm only using a Roland Cube 80x, will be getting a new amp though before end of summer, hopefully a Marshall But yeah i'd rather not use a like multi effects pedal system kind of thing, I'd rather get like separate pedals and build my board up that way

I've heard a lot about that Metal Zone pedal being very good and the Ibanez Tube Screamer being good also, any advice about either of those?

Also about Pedal boards, i've been thinking about this board as i've heard lots of good things about it - http://www.pssl.com/Behringer-PB600-Effects-Pedal-Board-Case

The Metal Zone is for 14-year-old kiddies who have just started out on guitar and want something that is METULZ, but don't know the first thing about gear or what works in a band-situation. To make it short: The MT2 sounds like bees in a tin can, avoid at all costs.

Now, who says you need a distortion pedal in the first place? If the amp you are going to buy has good built-in distortion, you wouldn't have to bother. It's generally a good idea to get the amp first and add dirt pedals later if necessary, and only then.

The tubescreamer is a type of overdrive pedal; it can be used to get a bluesy overdrive, or as a clean booster to get more distortion out of amps or other pedals. It also cuts low-frequencies, making the sound "tighter".

Your Cube has decent distortion on board already and pedals will hardly improve it. If you'll need pedals with whatever amp you will buy next, you'll see when you have that amp. So don't go buying pedals just yet, it's more than likely a waste of money right now.

Now please. Tell us how much cash you want to spend (pedals + amp), what kinds of sounds you want and if there's any kinds of effects outside of distortion you want. Be as specific as you can (list bands/artists/songs you like the sound of if you can, it helps a lot). Then we can make some good suggestions.

Oh and avoid Behringer like the plague.
Sounds pretty nice actually And price wise honestly as long as its not more than like 100 i'm cool
Quote by jonny_page
Sounds pretty nice actually And price wise honestly as long as its not more than like 100 i'm cool

Bad Monkeys are cheap (50€ or so?) and very nice indeed. But there is absolutely no point in buying it as long as you don't know what amp it will be used with, meaning that you can't now if you will need it at all until you know what amp you will be playing.

It's important to understand that the amp is the most important part in shaping your sound. Your tone stands and falls with it, and apart from very few exceptions, pedals are a supplement to your tone, rather than it's foundation. The foundation is the amp.
like most people on here will say i advice you to take the money you were going to spend on pedals, save some money from pay checks/sell your current gear and buy a nice amp. if you're playing a little solid state amp in your bedroom a metal zone might work fine but if you use it with a nice tube amp you're going to regret paying 90 bucks on it. once you get the amp you'll have a foundation for your tone which can then be tweaked with pedals, it doesn't work the other way around. do you think you could give us a budget to work with so we know how much you're willing to spend?
my stuff:
schecter c-1+
ibanez rg3exfm1
schecter avenger 7-string with emgs
esp/ltd mh-50
peavey 6505+ 112 combo
tc electronic polytune
way huge green rhino
mxr micro flange
mxr smart gate
dunlop crybaby
My only advice is you dont need a distortion pedal...EVER! Distortion pedals split your signal, so no matter how loud the amp is you wont hear it over drums and other instruments.

If you have a decent amp you wont need any distortion pedal, you 'MIGHT' need a little extra sometimes, but the best thing to do is get a TS9 (Tubescreamer) on a low OD setting, just gives it a boost, sounds lush mostly! As for other effects, work out what you want first, then explore the market and see whats out there. On the Reverb Note, i would literally love a EHX Cathedral Reverb! They are fantastic! Cant afford it at the moment though..
Yeah the reviews for the Bad Monkey Pedal actually look really really good I might pick up that one then, still thinking of getting maybe another distortion pedal as well as that one though.
Quote by damo13
My only advice is you dont need a distortion pedal...EVER! Distortion pedals split your signal, so no matter how loud the amp is you wont hear it over drums and other instruments.

If you have a decent amp you wont need any distortion pedal, you 'MIGHT' need a little extra sometimes, but the best thing to do is get a TS9 (Tubescreamer) on a low OD setting, just gives it a boost, sounds lush mostly! As for other effects, work out what you want first, then explore the market and see whats out there. On the Reverb Note, i would literally love a EHX Cathedral Reverb! They are fantastic! Cant afford it at the moment though..

I don't mean this in the wrong way honestly I'm only wondering, if Distortion Pedals suck why does almost every guitarist i know use at least one?
Quote by jonny_page
I don't mean this in the wrong way honestly I'm only wondering, if Distortion Pedals suck why does almost every guitarist i know use at least one?

Maybe because they want to boost there distortion and/or want more distortion.
Quote by jonny_page

when you say guitarist you know do you mean pros or like literally people you know?
you really don't see many professionals using distortions pedals, at least not for their main tone. some bands do use fuzz boxes, or other distortions to get extra sounds but when comes down to the actual fundamental tone they rely on amp distortion. if a pro does use a pedal for their main distortion tone it will likely be a boutique pedal that the average person just can't afford. another thing is overdrives and distortion pedals are not the same thing. overdrives are used in conjunction with amp distortion to get a "tighter" sound, some people don't understand this difference.
my stuff:
schecter c-1+
ibanez rg3exfm1
esp/ltd mh-50
peavey 6505+ 112 combo
tc electronic polytune
way huge green rhino
mxr micro flange
mxr smart gate
dunlop crybaby
Quote by jonny_page

They can add a different flavour to your sound... there's a bunch of fuzz pedals, for example, that have a very distinctive tone.
Some guitarists also use amps that simply aren't made for distortion and therefore have to rely on pedals for some dirt - if, for example, you just have to have the clean sound of a Fender Twin but still need dirty sounds now and then, you're gonna have to get a pedal.
A lot of people also use pedals simply for boosting amps that are either too tame on their own, or exhibit something unwanted (like too much bass-response, which can be fixed by a pedal that cuts bass, classic example: tubescreamers).

There's a bunch of reasons to get a pedal, but until you tell us what music you want to play with your gear, we can't tell you if any of these reasons apply to you.
Quote by damo13
As for other effects, work out what you want first, then explore the market and see whats out there.

This is good advice.

Quote by damo13

This however, is complete and utter nonsense.
Okay i meant pro's when i look at their guitar equipment a lot of them use distortion pedals. And its hard i wouldn't say what we say is that similar to other bands. Check out maybe D.R.U.G.S, The Blackout and Rise Against, that heavy rock music but not really hardcore, i guess i can only describe it like that
Quote by jonny_page
Okay i meant pro's when i look at their guitar equipment a lot of them use distortion pedals. And its hard i wouldn't say what we say is that similar to other bands. Check out maybe D.R.U.G.S, The Blackout and Rise Against, that heavy rock music but not really hardcore, i guess i can only describe it like that

i was speaking of metal bands just because you said you played hardcore. rock bands and stuff like that do use distortion pedals for their main distortion tone fairly commonly. i assumed you were trying to get a metal/hardcore kinda sound which is usually achieved with amp distortion. sorry for that misunderstanding.
my stuff:
schecter c-1+
ibanez rg3exfm1
esp/ltd mh-50
peavey 6505+ 112 combo
tc electronic polytune
way huge green rhino
mxr micro flange
mxr smart gate
dunlop crybaby
I never mentioned Hardcore i said Post hardcore there's a big difference lol! But yeah i know they don't need a lot of pedals thats why i'm not interested in a lot of pedals. However i want a few like a tuner and delay and reverb pedal
Quote by jonny_page

Your doing this all ass backwards if your guitar teacher knew anything hed be telling you this not me!
You need to focus on your amp first so get a new amp then build your pedal board around your amp.
Its stupid to buy a bunch of pedals and use them with a modeler, buy a solid good amp FIRST since you have no budget as you said you have enough to spend right?

Now onto the tubescreamers and mt-2

The mt-2 is one of the worst tinniest soundind distortions you can buy DO NOT BUY IT!
You should be able to afford an amp with the distortion you want! Especially with your infinite budget

The tube screamer is completley pointless if your using a cube and you dont know what amp your going to get.
But otherwise most tubescreamers are decent pedals. Not in your situation though!

So In short my advise is buy an amp then build your pedal board up around your amp, not buy a bunch of pedals that might not even work right or sound good with the amp you choose to buy.

And dont focus on just marshalls theres alot of amps to choose from other than marshall !
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Last edited by slipknot_420 at Jul 13, 2011,
Quote by jonny_page
I never mentioned Hardcore i said Post hardcore there's a big difference lol! But yeah i know they don't need a lot of pedals thats why i'm not interested in a lot of pedals. However i want a few like a tuner and delay and reverb pedal

ok lol i do listen to some post stuff so i think i get what sound you're going for now. a nice big crunchy sound correct? still most post-hardcore bands do rely on amp distortion. as far as tuners go i'd say look at the polytune, pretty revolutionary stuff. for delays depends on if you want digital or analog. the boss giga delay is probably the most versatile but its kinda pricey. for reverb you can't go wrong with a holy grail, a lot of people also stand by their boss rv-5s but some will say its non true bypass is a problem. it really just depends on what works for you.
my stuff:
schecter c-1+
ibanez rg3exfm1
esp/ltd mh-50
peavey 6505+ 112 combo
tc electronic polytune
way huge green rhino
mxr micro flange
mxr smart gate
dunlop crybaby
Quote by ragingkitty

I was just referring to it's effects capabilities. You're right though, I wouldn't use amp modeling on a GT.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
i personally find the boss metal zone to be one of the worst distortion pedals ive ever heard. what is your price range? nvm.

i recommend looking used from buddies or looking in the used secion of Guitar center ONLINE.

you can view the inventory of every GC in the country. they will honor thier return policy if it is remotely damaged. generally used boss pedals go for 50ish used unless its a really nice one (like a newer delay). call the rep. ask himn about it. ask him to test it and make sure it works perfectly. if so, take a chance.

ive bought 3 used pedals from GC for nearly half off. 2 were PERFECT, 1 broke a day after i bought it. i returned it for a full refund. i only had to pay return shipping.

that also means if you can get a 100 dollar pedal for 50, you might be able to get a better sounding 150 dollar pedal for 100 or whatever.
Quote by Goodtimes666
ok lol i do listen to some post stuff so i think i get what sound you're going for now. a nice big crunchy sound correct? still most post-hardcore bands do rely on amp distortion. as far as tuners go i'd say look at the polytune, pretty revolutionary stuff. for delays depends on if you want digital or analog. the boss giga delay is probably the most versatile but its kinda pricey. for reverb you can't go wrong with a holy grail, a lot of people also stand by their boss rv-5s but some will say its non true bypass is a problem. it really just depends on what works for you.

Aha thank you! Would you say not bothering with any distortion pedals and doing it all through the amp? Any good amps in mind that aren't ridiculously expensive?
i would most definitely try to get your fundamental crunch from the amp. i really need a price range before i can start naming amps
my stuff:
schecter c-1+
ibanez rg3exfm1
esp/ltd mh-50
peavey 6505+ 112 combo
tc electronic polytune
way huge green rhino
mxr micro flange
mxr smart gate
dunlop crybaby
Page 1 of 2