Page 1 of 2
i noticed this strange behavior in many threads.

i have seen quite a few people completely ignore the TS question and suggest to buy a new amp.

maybe they should consider that not all of us can afford to spend ridiculos amount of money to buy tube amps just to practice at home.

just my 2 cents...
Because arguably it's the most important bit of your sound?

Think of it this way:

I have a Ford Ka and want to drag race, what tyres would make me go faster?

Obviously it's just not cutting it and a suggestion of a new car is clearly going to make more sense than offering advice on stuff to make the Ka moderately faster.

mkai?
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Who said anything about spending ridiculous amounts of money on tube amps for home practice?

If you'd read the stickies, every suggestions thread should contain a budget, what the amp will be used for (home, gigging etc), and other info. If you provide that info, it will make it far easier for people to make suggestions for suitable amps. Its not difficult to give people some useful info if you want practical suggestions.

If someone can't make the effort to give us some info first, they're going to get suggestions that may not be appropriate for their situation.
Last edited by littlephil at Jul 13, 2011,
Tube amps can cost as little as solid states to be honest...if you're in Europe there's the Harley Benton GA5
http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_ga5.htm

state side you have the Bugera V5
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Bugera-V5-5W-1x8-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp-105653901-i1470778.gc
or the VHT special 6
http://www.guitarcenter.com/VHT-Special-6-6W-1x10-Hand-Wired-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp-H73585-i1884897.gc

the Bugera and the VHT are available in Europe too but the Harley Benton is cheaper and just as good.

EDIT: Apparently GC also list the Crate V5, Vox AC4, Epi Valve Jr and the Fender Champ for less than the Bugera if I have it set to United States instead of the UK. and just FYI, I'm guessing your TS question was a "which TS to get" kind of question, the TS9 is listed at $99, so is the Crate V5, although I'd probably go with the Vox instead listed at $140
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
Last edited by GABarrie at Jul 13, 2011,
I agree to a point, but like SimplyBen said, when you are trying to get a certain sound, which most are. The amp will make a bigger diffrence than a guitar, but most beginners-intremediate do not understand this logic. So most are trying to help although some people on here are all about bandwagons.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by tappooh

i have seen quite a few people completely ignore the TS question and suggest to buy a new amp.

maybe they should consider that not all of us can afford to spend ridiculos amount of money to buy tube amps just to practice at home.

just my 2 cents...

i've noticed that
although, like the other person said, mostly, it's down to a lack of, or misunderstanding information. although, saying that, i have seen some ridiculous suggestions when all the needed information has been there, which is just down to people being idiots and not bothering to read the OP.
I deeply regret the 6661 in my username. Siiiigh. Damn you, 14 year old me, you edgy little bastard.
Last edited by Carl6661 at Jul 13, 2011,
i understand that amp plays a big part in achieving a specific tone, and that i should probably get a new amp, but i dont see why if some one is asking a question about a specifc pedal some people suggest buying a new amp.

the guy most likely knows about it, but maybe they cant afford an amp and instead they decide to buy a pedal.

"you need a new amp" is being overused, i see it pop up everywhere, sometimes as a joke but most of the times people are really serious about it.
One more thing, if you're referring to some people posting;
"What you really need is a new amp"
That isn't serious, its a bit of a GG&A joke.
Well look at it this way.
Lets use dirt boxes as an example, for one, they sound MUCH better through tube amps and two when it comes to Metal distortion sounds you'd be better saving up for a peavey ultra/5150/6505/xxx or whatever instead of wasting money on a metal zone or in really stupid cases a high end metal pedal because they will still sound shite through a shite amp and you'd be wasting money! Hence why you'd see people saying "save your money for a new amp"

And yes phil is correct it has become a bit of a joke and a parody around here but it usually runs true unless its someone trolling/having a laugh with other members that actually have a nice amp.
Last edited by coolstoryangus at Jul 13, 2011,
Quote by coolstoryangus
Well look at it this way.
Lets use dirt boxes as an example, for one, they sound MUCH better through tube amps and two when it comes to Metal distortion sounds you'd be better saving up for a peavey ultra/5150/6505/xxx or whatever instead of wasting money on a metal zone or in really stupid cases a high end metal pedal because they will still sound shite through a shite amp and you'd be wasting money! Hence why you'd see people saying "save your money for a new amp"

And yes phil is correct it has become a bit of a joke and a parody around here but it usually runs true unless its someone trolling/having a laugh with other members that actually have a nice amp.

Don't **** with pedals fool. You could plug a high end metal pedal into a cat and it would sound better than most amps.
mojostompboxes.com
Quote by coolstoryangus
Oh shit, pedalboard thread. *ducks*

*hurls a Klon*
mojostompboxes.com
Sometimes people will be spending a few hundred on say 3 pedals or something whilst running through a bad amp and think that the pedals will fix the sound, where'as more often than not they'd be better off keeping that few hundred they were gonna spend on the pedals, sell the amp they have and get an amp that can produce the sound they want.
My 2 pence.
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
Because most of your tone comes from the amp. And if you have like a Fender strat and a line 6 spider, your tone won't sound so good. But if you have a fender strat and a jcm800, then your tone will sound good. (I need to get a new amp)
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
No one's forcing you to buy an expensive amp. We always ask for a budget and genre so we know what TS can afford.

And why are we obsessed with amps? Well lets just say you're in the GUITAR GEAR & ACCESSORIES forum of UG.

Oh, and the amp has one of the most biggest impact to your tone, along with your fingers / playstyle.
Quote by tappooh
i understand that amp plays a big part in achieving a specific tone, and that i should probably get a new amp, but i dont see why if some one is asking a question about a specifc pedal some people suggest buying a new amp.

the guy most likely knows about it, but maybe they cant afford an amp and instead they decide to buy a pedal.

"you need a new amp" is being overused, i see it pop up everywhere, sometimes as a joke but most of the times people are really serious about it.

almost every post of this type is from someone seeking an incredibly cheap way to get a tone that was produced using $1000s of dollars worth of equipment. this makes it really tough to recommend an under $100 pedal that will magically produce this tone. if you do then what happens the guy gets the pedal and comes back crying that it doesn't work and why the hell did you suggest it. sometimes what they want to do just plain won't work with their current amp which may be a tough pill to swallow but once again it's better than having them waste money on something that won't work.
Because a lot of times that is the correct answer. If somebody asks, "what distortion pedal will give me Carlos Santana's sound" when they have a Gorilla amp, the correct answer is, "nothing will, you need a new amp. Look at some old Mesas." Any other answer would be wrong. Should we send somebody out to buy a Klon when that isn't going to make his Gorilla sound like a Mesa Mk1? He'd go out spend the money and then bitch to us about how he still can't get anything close to Oye Como Va wouldn't he? - and he'd be right to bitch about it too. He was told a load of bollocks.
And the other times, it's just funny.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Because I'm getting sick of replying "nothing else sounds like a dual rect, other than a dual rect"

Its like others have already mentioned, some newbs will come in and ask for settings, or new guitars or pedals or whatever else, expecting a $50 amp to sound like a $2000 amp.

Also the other point is that, GG&A is the forum to ask about gear in general, and most of these questions can be addressed by getting a new amp.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by tappooh
thats a given, im running a marshall MG.

Theres your problem Get yourself a new amp and you'll see why we suggest it so often
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
In most cases. The person inquiring about a pedal to get dat tone. Already has one or two crappy amps, and a collection of cheap pedals.

In which case I would proceed to tell them to sell all their gear except guitar, and get a better, most likely used, amp.

To improve their sound.

You could suggest them a pedal, but they will end up hating farther down the road.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by AcousticMirror
because the answer is that they need a new amp.

+1

that's about it in a nutshell

assuming your technique is up to scratch, probably 95% of the time if you can't get a tone you like the problem is the amp. At least going by the threads on here.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Carl6661
i've noticed that
although, like the other person said, mostly, it's down to a lack of, or misunderstanding information. although, saying that, i have seen some ridiculous suggestions when all the needed information has been there, which is just down to people being idiots and not bothering to read the OP.

Too true - I've had a couple of threads where I needed advice or suggestions on something and there's always someone that posts something like, "don't get that... just get a tube amp"
Leaves me going, 'okay..... and where do you supposed I get the money from?'
Always cracks me up when I see someone who has bought $$$$ worth of effects pedals to run thru an el-cheapo amp to try and emulate their favourite guitarist's tone - as others have said, getting a good quality tube amp instead of all those pedals would actually achieve the desired result. A lot of people seem to have the misconception that loads of pedals is the answer to good tone.
I clearly remember selling well over a dozen pedals after I bought my first proper tube head - all those distortion boxes sounded like shit once I'd heard what real tone was supposed to sound like.
Gear:
Fender AVRI '62 Jazzmaster, Fender Gold Sparkle Strat (custom), Custom Swirled Roswell Rhoads
Marshall DSL15H, Weber Speakers, Fender Champs (x2),
'63 Fender Reverb, Mosrite Fuzzrite, Joe Bonamassa Fuzz Face, Whiteface RAT
Vintage Tubes!
Quote by KLanh
Too true - I've had a couple of threads where I needed advice or suggestions on something and there's always someone that posts something like, "don't get that... just get a tube amp"

problems can't always be solved within your budget a sad fact of life. telling people to spend their money on something that is a half assed solution at best isn't really in anyone's best interest. i think that you can find budget solutions for many tone issues but you still have to have the basic tools which is often a tube amp.
agreed.

if you need an slo to nail the tone, then fair enough, that's beyond most people's budget. But (a) rarely do you "need" an SLO (it'd be nice, but not necessary) and (b) if you're already on a limited budget spending what little you have on an at-a-pinch solution (at best) is probably doing more harm than good- a false economy.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by tappooh

just my 2 cents...
Because spending money on pedals and pickups trying to make your crappy amp sound better is ridiculous..
Quote by tappooh

Usually, the question is what pedal they should buy. And if the amp one is playing is a piece of shit, the answer to that question is: "None at all."

If someone asks me what cliff is the most fun to jump off of, I am not going to point them towards any cliffs. Instead, I will try to make clear that jumping off a cliff is a very bad idea.

Quote by tappooh

Which will do jack all to get them closer to the sound they desire in most cases. Hence, it is a waste of money. Hence, I will advise against it. I'm not even saying people HAVE to buy a new amp at that point. Spend it on hookers and blow instead, sure is more fun than an expensive pedal into a crap amp.
Quote by TheQuailman
Usually, the question is what pedal they should buy. And if the amp one is playing is a piece of shit, the answer to that question is: "None at all."

If someone asks me what cliff is the most fun to jump off of, I am not going to point them towards any cliffs. Instead, I will try to make clear that jumping off a cliff is a very bad idea.

Which will do jack all to get them closer to the sound they desire in most cases. Hence, it is a waste of money. Hence, I will advise against it. I'm not even saying people HAVE to buy a new amp at that point.

exactly.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Cathbard
Because a lot of times that is the correct answer. If somebody asks, "what distortion pedal will give me Carlos Santana's sound" when they have a Gorilla amp, the correct answer is, "nothing will, you need a new amp. Look at some old Mesas." Any other answer would be wrong. Should we send somebody out to buy a Klon when that isn't going to make his Gorilla sound like a Mesa Mk1? He'd go out spend the money and then bitch to us about how he still can't get anything close to Oye Como Va wouldn't he? - and he'd be right to bitch about it too. He was told a load of bollocks.
And the other times, it's just funny.

Appropriate to use Santana as an example, since his guitar tone, although a function of several factors, is probably due in the greatest part to his amp.

Of course, the amp he used for Oye Como Va (a Fender Twin) is different from the one he used for Smooth (probably his Mesa Boogie). With him, you have to specify "which period?"
Quote by TheQuailman
I noticed you left out the part about hookers and blow?

yeah i can't condone that in good conscience
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by KLanh

you know what helps. crying about it.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by TheQuailman
I noticed you left out the part about hookers and blow?

Yeah I like me some Hookers and blow from time to time
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Page 1 of 2