Hey guys

I have grown my nails to fingerpick on my steel string guitar but sometimes my nails scrape the string as I play. Is this normal? Do I need to alter the angle of which I pick?

Thanks
when irish eyes are smiling, you've had to too much to drink cus eyes dont smile, mouths do
Perhaps you've grown your nails a little bit too long. In my experience, your nails should be JUST coming over your fingertip to pick with otherwise they're going to hook onto the strings - then again I'm an OCD nail chewer and have only grown my nails once or twice for this purpose, but I just play with my fingertips and I'm happy with that.

Uhm..pics?
File your nails down a little. What shape are your nails? I do mine angled like this

I'm dancing in the moonlight
It's caught me in its spotlight
Dancing in the moonlight
On this long hot summer night

Martin D-28
mine are like the first image but a bit longer, I will try and shorten/shape them, thanks guys
when irish eyes are smiling, you've had to too much to drink cus eyes dont smile, mouths do
As Mushroom says. Best results by keeping your nails the same way classical players do, just long enough so you get a combination of nail and flesh breaking across the string.
^ Exactly. You're not looking for a pointy tip to pluck with, but a wide flat area to support the fingertip.
I'm dancing in the moonlight
It's caught me in its spotlight
Dancing in the moonlight
On this long hot summer night

Martin D-28