What scales are comonly used in metal music? I know about harmonic minor is used , and I heard that some diminished scales are there too. I f someone know more please let me know.
Minor scales are almost always used, because they have sadder, darker sound opposed to the major scale. Eg. melodic death metal often uses harmonic/melodic minor and so on...
it's not so much about the scales that you use as the dynamics and the phrasing that you use to articulate the scales. Even with your basic Aeolian [minor] scale, there's literally THOUSANDS of riffs to be had. Hell, you dont even have to stick exclusively to the scale. Build your own from what sounds cool to you. Add passing tones. Slide between notes. Quarter tone bend/add pinch harmonics to notes. Accent.
Music isn't about scales.
That said, hungarian minor, phrygian, phrygian dominant, harmonic minor and your diatonic modes are a great place to look for fun scalar ideas.
nick_b is currently obsessed with:
Pokemon
Pinch Harmonics
12/8 timing
7/8 timing
Lamb of God
Rise Against
Regina Spektor
Dream Theater
and many others...
Thanks, I'll have it on mind, and experiment with different scales and modes, and see what sounds the best, and try to think outside of the box, which, I think is exactly what guys from Slayer do. Realy sick solos out there. But you didn't tell me about diminished. I don't realy know how it sounds at all, but I' gona check it. blues scales might be good too I think
Quote by kimi_page
Thanks, I'll have it on mind, and experiment with different scales and modes, and see what sounds the best, and try to think outside of the box, which, I think is exactly what guys from Slayer do. Realy sick solos out there. But you didn't tell me about diminished. I don't realy know how it sounds at all, but I' gona check it. blues scales might be good too I think

A really easily recognizable diminished sound is here in Into The Fire by Disturbed

Personally, I'm not entirely convinced that Slayer know exactly what they're doing. Their timing is crazy, especially in their solos. Not the time signatures, but just the beats (or lack thereof) that they accent on. But that's just me.

Blues scales can work in metal as well. You just have to be a little careful which notes you are accentuating. You don't want it to sound too bluesy.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Slayer isnt exactly a good example of "sick" solos IMO... waaaaaay too random, but whatever floats your boat, man.

It was already answered - minor scales. Not so much diminished, while they do sound dark scales arent used that often, more frequently you will see guitarists sweeping diminished arpeggios
Quote by the_white_bunny
the point of life is to die.
and pay taxes.

Quote by /PurpleWhalez/
Blasphemy as severe as this is fucking unforgivable and by bullshito code you must commit sudoku for disgracing famirys honoru.