Hi Guys,

I've got a budget of around £500 for a new bass guitar (upped from previous £300 budget). I play bass guitar in a clubs band that do covers from Thin Lizzy, Bad Company and Lynyryd Skynyryd right through to Abba, The Proclaimers and Don Henley. So I figure I'm going to need a pretty well rounded bass, like the Fender Jazz, perhaps?

I'm left handed, and although my job is in a clubs band, I'm studying Music Technology, so would like a nice sounding bass guitar for recording with too. I use a Radial JDI instead of an amp, as I just love the characteristics of it.

What do you guys recommend?

Regards,

Jampottt
When you listed those bands I immediately thought P bass. Though a J would suit you perfectly well too.

Do you have any specs you would like, any extras? Anything you specifically don't want?
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Just a pretty much all rounder bass. I've not been much of a bass player, I'll be honest. I picked it up about 4 years ago after being asked to play for my schools concert band, I agreed to as long as he'd put me through my grades. I bought a no make £80 bass, got my grade 8 and then just left it to collect dust, until joining this band. Now I'm falling in love, I need a really nice sounding bass.

I think I'll benefit from it due to sounding better, allowing for my playing to be better and also when recording, because I've been using a lot of synth bass instead, due to my bass not quite cutting it.

I don't really have any specific specs other than £500 being my budget. I've found the Jazz bass for £510 can't find a decent price on the Precision though, they all seem to be the American £1000 ones.

I know this may be a silly question, but I'm not that clued up on Bass guitars..

What's the main difference between the Precision and Jazz?

I think the reason I'm thinking Fender, is due to the name on the headstock. It's a brand to trust, you don't make the model of bass guitar for 60 years and they don't perform, do you?

EDIT: I can't emphasize enough how it has to sound great both live and in the studio.
Last edited by jampottt at Jul 13, 2011,
Look at the Squier VM and CV series as well as the Fenders. You'll have to play them and test out each specific one before you buy it but if you get a good one, they're amazing.

The differences between the P and J are pretty large. Apart from the different body shape, the P has one split-coil pickup and the J has two single coils. The J also has a thinner neck. They're both suitable for any type of music I can think of.
I'm not good at describing sound differences so I'll let someone else do that.

Fender aren't the only reputable brand around. If you can find an old Peavey (or ever a new one really) they're tanks. Ibanez have some great basses but they can be polarising taste-wise. There are loads of brands that are good, you just need to know what you want.
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

Last edited by gilly_90 at Jul 13, 2011,
Yup, high-end Squier plus mods will suit you fine. I recommend you look at Basschat's marketplace for some good deals, for £500 you might just get an American Fender.
i dont know if any one has played them yet but fender just released two brand new basss thers a jazz and p bass
Quote by jampottt

What's the main difference between the Precision and Jazz?

The Precision bass has more of a "Thump" the warm punchy low mid sound. Its body shape is more traditional and neck is chunkier.

A Jazz bass has more of a "Growl", Its sound is more of a high-mid treble sound. It has an offset waist and a slimmer neck.

If you want a deeper warm sound, go for the P, if you want more growl and brightness in your tone, go for the jazz.

But, I can get a deep warm thumpy sound on my jazz as well, and the P can get fairly growly and bright.

I prefer the Jazz, because of its tone and how it plays. You can also get a (decent) P sound of using the front pickup in the jazz, and by using different volumes with each pickup, you can get a variety of tones. If you really like playing the bass, you're probably going to pick up both at some point. I have both and use both, its just preference.

Go to the store and play each of them, and buy which you like the best. Both the Jazz and Precision can work for any genre of music, so buy what sounds best to your ears.
I've always found it confusing that the jazz bass is punchy and the precision bass is warm. It feels like it should be the other way around...

Anyway, everyone in this topic is dead on saying you're best with either of those basses. You really need to go to a store and try both out, various models of each, too. Highway 1's, Mexicans, Americans, Squier VMs, all sorts. Hell, I was a big fan of the old Aerodyne series, see if you can find one of those used.
Both can be punchy, both can be warm. Depends on the eq, pickup model and playing style. Personally, I prefer a P for rock and a J for smoother stuff.
I'm talking strictly comparisons between stock J basses and P basses. In my experience P basses just seem to be a little smoother and warmer. They're really versatile basses though, you can tone down the characteristics on each and try to mimic the other, but I think inherently the jazz just has that biting quality to it and the precision is like smooth peanut butter coming out of an amp.
well i'm getting a musicman stingray 4string end of this year, great bass but expensive for a brand new one, go looking on Ebay, i see good basses on there all the time, go for a jazz, i hear theyre way more diverse than p-basses
Quote by warzaa
go for a jazz, i hear theyre way more diverse than p-basses

please elaborate?
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid

You can't really go wrong with a Fender. Keep your eyes peeled for a second hand Japanese P/J

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.