I posted this in GG&A but I am sure you guys would be interested in it too.
This is supposed to be a piece of artwork as much as it is an amp. I started with a Jack Daniels tin made in Mansfield, England and built the normal channel of an 18W Marshall into it. I stuck to the original design apart from adding some extra capacitance to the power supply filter to get rid of the mains hum. The size of the capacitors in the original one are just way too small.
It sounds just like a 1974 Marshall, especially run through a Greenback. I have a 12" Lorantz Greenback clone in the cab it's plugged into. Lorantz are an Aussie boutique speaker company in Melbourne.

Here's a pic of the front:

I learned form the Tim Tam Champ that these cookie tin type things aren't really heavy enough so this time I reinforced it with aluminium sheet. 2mm for top, front and back and 3mm for the sides where the handles are.
Next time I'll probably go for 1.5mm because 2mm was too thick for my nibbler.
I also soldered the hinges on the back to give it some strength there too.
The turret board I knocked up myself. It is a fibreglass board.

The transformers i used are Classic Tones from Chicago. I quite like the Classic Tones and they are remarkably cheap. For the money they are hard to beat. Because I have used one less tube in it (no tremelo channel) the power transformer is loafing. It should last forever.
It is wired up for 240/230V operation but the tap is there for 120V. If I sell it to America I'd just have to connect up the other tap.
I used F&T filter capacitors, Sprague Atom cathode caps and Mallory signal caps.
The pots are CTS. I used the knobs from a strat on them. That saved me having to label the box because the knobs have it written on them.
Marshall impedance switch on the back. I bought that from the UK and it took 6 weeks to arrive by post. Royal Mail are ridicuous.
I will probably add a small brass nameplate to the front but other than that its ready to go.

I have JJ EL84's in it. The rectifier is an Adzam. I am running an American Raytheon 12AX7 in V1 and the phase inverter is an Australian Miniwatt (basically an Aussie made Mullard). I'll be going through my 12AX7 collection though. I think it will end up with a couple of really nice Japanese Raytheons I have.

You want to see inside it don't you?

Lots of work to build an amp into a tin like this but i think it's worth it. Everybody builds amps the same way, I want to do something different. The cookie tin amp will hopefully be my niche.
I intend to sell these. I'm not trying to make a living from it but I would like to be able to make enough to fund the next one. I'm building them for fun, not profit.

A family photo:

They seem to be getting bigger.

If you want more details go to my website (in my sig) and click on the amp button on the top right and follow your nose.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
The question I have is.... how do they sound?
Ball Custom Mark I

Korg Pitchblack > Dunlop Crybaby wah > mODDball audio Green Bastard > Marshall GV2 Guv'nor Plus > EHX Holy Stain > MXR Phase 90 > MXR Carbon Copy

Jet City JCA20h
Epiphone Valve Jr.
Blackstar HTV212
It sounds like an 18W Marshall. Basically that means a mini Plexi. Because it's only 18W you can crank them to get great power amp distortion without breaking windows.
It sounds like an old Marshall.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
you forgot the tremolo channel n00b. i mean, if you can't blend the channels...

j/k, awesome amp cathbard.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Tremelo? Who are you, Hank Marvin?

You can see that I have both inputs connected. That's because I am using an ABY box. When I kick it into Y mode it adds in the second triode of V1 which gives it a nice boost.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Thanks guys. I wonder if Jim would approve of building one of his amps into a Jack tin? He may prefer Scotch.

As an interesting bit of synchronicity; the JD tin was made in Mansfield, England. I first conceived of the cookie tin amp and started the first one while I was living in Mansfield, Australia. Spooky, no?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jul 15, 2011,
This is fucking awesome.

I want one.

LOOK

Call me Neutral.
Quote by da_
I wonder if you get more out put if you wire a battery to your penis.
Wouldn't it be more convenient to have the lid "upside down" so that you can just pop off the lid to see the guts?

Nevertheless, this is awesome
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Quote by Emperor's Child
Wouldn't it be more convenient to have the lid "upside down" so that you can just pop off the lid to see the guts?

Nevertheless, this is awesome

The tin is a hinged one. I did consider making the back the front. That would have considerable simplified the build. Trouble is that the back doesn't look as good. You could see the hinges (clear in the photo ^) so it was obviously the back of the tin. I didn't like that.
I soldered those hinges too btw. They were just bent over tin. Soldering them really helped. They would have broken eventually if I hadn't.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I'd kill to have one of these!!!!! could you plug attachments into it i.e effect pedals? and could you put a demo of one on youtube please? thanks!
It's just an 18W Marshall down to the last detail, apart from the absence of the tremelo channel. So it will take pedals as well as a normal 18W Marshall, which is very good.
There's no need for an FX loop in an 18W'er because they only have a single gain stage in the preamp. On the high channel that stage is two triodes in parallel but that's still the same stage. So what would be the point of an effects loop? You get all your distortion on these by cranking the volume. The only point to adding an FX loop would be if you wanted to run studio rack gear that required line level. Who does that these days? Everything accepts guitar level that you'd use with an amp.
I don't have a video camera. I don't even have any audio recording gear going at the moment.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jul 16, 2011,
I've added the nameplate to the front - first pic updated above. ^
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
I've added the nameplate to the front - first pic updated above. ^

Cathbard?

Might I inquire as to why?

Edit: Oh, it's your name

LOOK

Call me Neutral.
Quote by da_
I wonder if you get more out put if you wire a battery to your penis.
Last edited by NeutralFan at Jul 16, 2011,
if i were you, i would have noticed that you can still fit a bottle of whiskey inside the box. why did you choose to omit that from the circuit?
Quote by Cathbard
Thanks guys. I wonder if Jim would approve of building one of his amps into a Jack tin? He may prefer Scotch.

As an interesting bit of synchronicity; the JD tin was made in Mansfield, England. I first conceived of the cookie tin amp and started the first one while I was living in Mansfield, Australia. Spooky, no?

I'm a Jim Beam man myself.

If you really wanna be different, build a transistor amp
Brentonlatour: Well, you might be able to fit a hip flask sized bottle inside there still but when closed up most of that space gets filled transformer and turret board and stuff. Plus, probably not a good idea to keep your booze in a container containing over 300V

Wisthekiller: Well it is for sale. If you have the money it's certainly possible.

InvaderJim: I wanted different, not crap.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jul 16, 2011,
he won't even make a handwired amplug for me in a pez dispenser, you think he's going all out on a transistor amp?
I've done my time using SS amps, I've even built a couple of transistorised bass amps in my time. I've earned my place in the guild now. Transistors are for hifi's, computers and apprentices. You know, like how it's the apprentice's job to crawl under the house and do all the crap work.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
You know, like how it's the apprentice's job to crawl under the house and do all the crap work.

if i had a nickle.
Postage from here to the US is about $70.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I have nothing to say about the above posts about transistorized amps other than this: I'll bet 99% of you audiophools couldn't tell my Ge transistor vintage amp clone from a tube amp of about the same basic topology. tubes aren't fucking magic, guys. good day, sirs.
Hey, I'm looking at making something like this (with help) but; do you know the total cost of building this because, being a teenager, I don't really have a large source of income ): Also, would this be loud enough to play fairly clean over a band or does it break up early?
Sorry Invader Jim but how you can tell a tube amp over a SS one is by its dynamics, especially with an amp like this where you tend to play it on the verge of breakup. The real difference is in the playing, not the listening.

Minimallamb: depends on where you live. I think this cost me about $350 or $400. However that includes the postage to get stuff sent down here. Postage on the transformers alone set me back about $60. I also spent about $40 on the aluminium I used to reinforce the tin.
If you live in the States you'd probably get out of it for about $300 depending on what you use as a chassis.
The 18W Marshall does break up pretty early. If playing with a drummer you aren't going to be able to get pristine cleans without miking it up. They are a great blues amp for this reason.
However, if this is your first amp build I'd recommend that you build something in a more conventional chassis. Building a tube amp into a cookie tin is substantially harder.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jul 17, 2011,
Quote by Cathbard
Sorry Invader Jim but how you can tell a tube amp over a SS one is by its dynamics, especially with an amp like this where you tend to play it on the verge of breakup. The real difference is in the playing, not the listening.

oooooooh... its OOOON!

<*ELECTRO*>
XXXXX
XXXXX

Quote by Minimallamb
OK, thanks (: Any advice for an easy first build?

A Champ is probably the easiest first build. Heaps of kits out there.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification