I have this metronome that I have never used but I think that I should start using it to improve my switching/transitions. Anyone else here use one of these gadgets? Do you have any suggestions? They sound so annoying.
-Mike
Last edited by Widefingers at Jul 13, 2011,
I have started using metronome for some serious practice a few days ago.
I practice alternate picking,sweep picking and some legato phrases.My exercises are mostly scales, some licks from the songs I'm trying to learn or already know how to play along with some of my own licks too.I also play some songs I have already learned to facilitate my rhythm playing(although not as much as I should).

Start on slower tempo and slowly build up,but there are some other methods you can also apply to practice with metronome,you can check some lessons on youtube for that.

You can practice anything to metronome,lead guitar stuff,riffs,songs,whatever you want.

Yeah,they sound annoying,but when you get good at playing in time with metronome,"the clicks" drown in the sound of your playing and you get impression that the metronome is not as loud(and less annoying).

I'm just a guitar n00b who started practicing seriously,so I'm not sure this is the most efficient way to practice.Hope this will help you.
Last edited by Scratcher17 at Jul 13, 2011,
A metronome or a drum machine is one of the most important items in a musicians arsenal. It will help you with timing, and speed more than anything else. If you find the clicks of a metronome annoying, get a drum machine instead. Then use one of the preset beats or make one of your own that you like or that fits the song or whatever that you are working on and practice with that.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Quote by Junior#1
A metronome or a drum machine is one of the most important items in a musicians arsenal. It will help you with timing, and speed more than anything else. If you find the clicks of a metronome annoying, get a drum machine instead. Then use one of the preset beats or make one of your own that you like or that fits the song or whatever that you are working on and practice with that.

How does it make you faster?
-Mike
i hope youre trolling...

use metronome/drum machine/ anything that keeps the beat to practice

it will make you faster because when you get accustomed to current speed you bump it up and play at higher speed yet keeping time, not just in short uncontrollable bursts of fast notes
Quote by the_white_bunny
the point of life is to die.
and pay taxes.

Quote by /PurpleWhalez/
Blasphemy as severe as this is fucking unforgivable and by bullshito code you must commit sudoku for disgracing famirys honoru.
Quote by Widefingers
How does it make you faster?

When you can play whatever you're playing with the metronome at say 60 bpm, then you move it up to 70 bpm and play it at that, have you not become faster? Then you eventually hit a speed where you're playing at the top of your capabilities and it's hard. So you keep playing at that speed, and when it becomes easier move the metronome up a little bit. So your maximum speed improves.
My stuff

Gibson Les Paul Studio
Ibanez ADC120
Tanglewood TGRF VS
Blackstar HT20
Roland Micro Cube