So, I went and bought my first tube amp this summer. As I've been working odd shifts for more than a week now, I haven't had time to play it and thus warm it up. There's also been some thunder storms, so the power plug has been off.

I finally had some time to plug it up again today, and turned the power on and warmed it up for a good minute or two and started playing. At first, the volume was too low and suddenly went up. I thought: Okay, it must have been too cold but it's okay now. The volume however shifts occasionally, and goes inaudible at times.

I believe that this could be some sort of a soldering problem with my guitar, there should be nothing with an amp this new, I've honestly played less than 20 hours with it due time restraints. Should I just take my guitar's backplate off and see if the output jack is disconnected?

I'm playing a grassroots SG thru a Laney Vh100r head and a matching Laney 412 cab, if
it matters.

EDIT: Okay, so the problem is not with my guitar or my guitar cable, as they work fine as ever with my previous amp. What's wrong with my amp?
Fight the evolution, play large intervals!
Last edited by Tupu at Jul 13, 2011,
Intermittent volume issues on my Krank was due to a bad power tube.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by monwobobbo
check your tubes as one or more may be bad.

Hmmm, how should I "test" my tubes as this is my first tube amp and honestly I've had no time to get any expertise on this area. So, noob it down enough for me :P
Take a pencil, with the amp on, and tap each preamp and power tube gently with the eraser. if the tap comes through (as in very prominently) then that's the bad tube. Power tubes going microphonic is rare.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
I've had the same problem with amps that have bad solder joints on the input jack or control pots. Usually this is because stress over the years from circuit board mounted controls cracks the solder in the circuit board. I'm not sure if this is likely on a new amp. What's the deal with your warranty?
In my case Powertube's are the EL34's and the preamps are ECC83's right?

EDIT: Tried all the tubes, couldn't hear any prominent difference in their sound.

What now?

EDIT2: I just realised, should I take off the preamp tubes cover? I quess I can take em off without unplugging the amp, there should be no current in the covers right?

EDIT3: Well, I checked them without the cover, and I really can't hear no big difference in their sound. Of course, they sound a bit different each... Gonna take it to the shop, gonna yell a lot and be that irritating customer.
Last edited by Tupu at Jul 13, 2011,