I'm currently using a Laney VC15 combo for home practice and need to buy a cab to hook up to it for band practice

I was thinking a 2x12 would be ideal as then it would be easily portable in my car for small gigs (band practice would only be in my garage so it wouldn't need to be transported to band practice lol)

But I'm just worried that it won't be loud enough (over the drummer/other band members) so was wondering would I need a 4x12 :/

The cab I've been looking at mainly is this:
http://www.dv247.com/guitars/marshall-1936v-guitar-speaker-cabinet--61286

I'm willing to go used and these go for around £150-£200 on ebay
My budget is around £300/400 and obviously I live in the UK.

The tone I'm looking for is a John Frusciante (Chili Peppers) mainly Stadium Arcadium, Led Zeppelin, Oasis (classic rock)

Whatever cab I buy has to go with a reasonable head later on
I'm liking the look of Marshall cabs and it is possible I would buy a Marshall head (MA50H?) but I'm open to other suggestions. (I know each of the artists above have all used/use them)

I have looked at various laney cabs e.g.
http://www.dv247.com/guitars/laney-lv412s-guitar-extension-speaker-cabinet--35573
and the matching cab for the VC15 but it's the idea of later on getting a head that puts me off getting one of these cabs

Any other suggestions on what to do are greatly appreciated (including suggestions on amp heads that I can save up for and look at to go with said cab) (I have also thought of eventually selling the VC15 and buying a 1x12 to use with the head (if this may help in some way as well about what to do now))

Thanks
Last edited by kezbob2k7 at Jul 14, 2011,
Quote by shredfest9619
Youd probably be better off going for a Half stack off Gumtree or eBAY for about £250

No offence but I can't see me being able to get a half decent stack for £250 (I want it to be valve), unless you have any suggestions

I've been looking into it and I'm thinking of getting one of the Marshall 1936V cabs used (around £150) or an Orange PPC212 and then saving up and either buying a Marshall MA50H or an Orange Dual Terror to go with the cab

If I was to do this would it be ok to then sell my laney combo and buy an orange PPC112 and use the head with that for bedroom practice? (The laney is 15 watt and I find that to be too loud for bedroom so what would it be like running a 50 watt head into a 112?)

Thanks
Last edited by kezbob2k7 at Jul 13, 2011,
Quote by kezbob2k7
No offence but I can't see me being able to get a half decent stack for £250 (I want it to be valve), unless you have any suggestions

I've been looking into it and I'm thinking of getting one of the Marshall 1936V cabs used (around £150) or an Orange PPC212 and then saving up and either buying a Marshall MA50H or an Orange Dual Terror to go with the cab

If I was to do this would it be ok to then sell my laney combo and buy an orange PPC112 and use the head with that for bedroom practice? (The laney is 15 watt and I find that to be too loud for bedroom so what would it be like running a 50 watt head into a 112?)

Thanks

Great minds, I was thinking of buying a VC15, followed by a 2x12, followed by a head. How do you find the VC15 with Frusciante stuff? Chili's is pretty much all I play lately aha.

What about the Laney Lionheart 2x12? Two G12H30s. Or a Zilla cab with a H30 and V30, or two H30s.

The difference in speaker sensitivity will make a far greater difference volume-wise than the difference between 15 and 50watts. The PPC112 uses a V30, which has a 100db sensitivity, the 10" Jenson in the VC15 is around 95db.

A 212 wont be louder than the 112, as they use the same speakers. The 212 will sound bigger, but it wont be louder.
Last edited by K-P at Jul 13, 2011,
Quote by K-P
Great minds, I was thinking of buying a VC15, followed by a 2x12, followed by a head. How do you find the VC15 with Frusciante stuff? Chili's is pretty much all I play lately aha.

What about the Laney Lionheart 2x12? Two G12H30s. Or a Zilla cab with a H30 and V30, or two H30s.

The difference in speaker sensitivity will make a far greater difference volume-wise than the difference between 15 and 50watts. The PPC112 uses a V30, which has a 100db sensitivity, the 10" Jenson in the VC15 is around 95db.

A 212 wont be louder than the 112, as they use the same speakers. The 212 will sound bigger, but it wont be louder.

The VC15 is good for Frusciante stuff but it just doesn't have the cleans I'm wanting and it doesn't have a certain edge on the overdrive that I'm looking for. I'm thinking of replacing the valves on it to see what that does and I'm going to be buying a Big Muff Pi in a few weeks as well.

I'll have a look at the other stuff you just mentioned but whatever 2x12/4x12 I buy has to go with the head that I will be purchasing.

Btw.. the PPC112 would be purchased after I got a head. I would sell the VC15 and buy a 1x12 to use for bedroom practice. What 1x10/1x12 would you suggest to use with the head or would it be better to sell the VC15 and just buy some other small combo for bedroom practice?

Overall my idea is to get a nice head and cab and then a separate cab (1x12) to use with the head for bedroom practice but I'm just doing it where I buy the 2x12/4x12 cab, use the VC15 with that until I have enough money then I'll buy a head then sell the VC15 to buy a 1x12 cab (if that all makes sense)
Last edited by kezbob2k7 at Jul 14, 2011,
Quote by kezbob2k7
The VC15 is good for Frusciante stuff but it just doesn't have the cleans I'm wanting and it doesn't have a certain edge on the overdrive that I'm looking for. I'm thinking of replacing the valves on it to see what that does and I'm going to be buying a Big Muff Pi in a few weeks as well.

I'll have a look at the other stuff you just mentioned but whatever 2x12/4x12 I buy has to go with the head that I will be purchasing.

Btw.. the PPC112 would be purchased after I got a head. I would sell the VC15 and buy a 1x12 to use for bedroom practice. What 1x10/1x12 would you suggest to use with the head or would it be better to sell the VC15 and just buy some other small combo for bedroom practice?

Overall my idea is to get a nice head and cab and then a separate cab (1x12) to use with the head for bedroom practice but I'm just doing it where I buy the 2x12/4x12 cab, use the VC15 with that until I have enough money then I'll buy a head then sell the VC15 to buy a 1x12 cab (if that all makes sense)

It likely will, most heads will output at 16/8/4 ohms and have a selector or three separate outputs, though some wont have 4 ohms. Unless you mean matching looks?

Honestly a 112 wont make the head any quieter than the 212 as they both use V30s. Sound less large aye, but not any quieter. You could look at some of the 5watt combos for bedroom practise, but 5 watts is still damn loud. The volume is there for a reason . You could get a 112 with a more inefficient speaker to make it quieter, but that's an odd road to go down.
Last edited by K-P at Jul 14, 2011,
FYI, i bought my PPC112 while i still had my laney vc30, its a 16ohm cab, the laney only had 4/8 ohm outputs.

I mismatched it and ran it with 8ohms, not too big of a deal, but i wouldnt use it long term, and plus you arent getting the best from the cab when mismatching impedance.

Also, Vintage 30s + laney vc, arent an ideal match. You want something that wont emphasize the natural ice pick treble and nasally upper mids. Try a G12H30, or a emi wizard or something.

Ask Matamp or Zilla to make you something custom. They cost around the same as orange cabs anyway.
My best option for bedroom practice is to just buy a nice combo then by the sounds of things

What you have to understand is the cab which I buy will be used with the Laney until I get a head for it
For example... say if I bought a PPC112.. I'd use it with the laney and then I'd buy for example an orange dual terror or a Marshall MA50H. So the issue with the "not getting the best from the cab because of mismatching impedance"and so on wouldn't be a problem then

The laney would then be sold and I'd sort something better out for my bedroom.

I'd like a Marshall ideally and I've heard Orange cabs are some of the best
Would an MA50H and a PPC112 be ideal for band practice and small gigs?
Well not just that, mismatching impedance can totally blow your amp, depends on how well made it is to weather it can handle it, i hear doubling the impedance is less risky than halving it (It might be the other way around, i cant remember, sure someone else will tell you).

My Vc30 blew its OT when i was doing the tube pulling trick and I halved the impedance... But it was before i got the cab anyway and it was one of the older ones, which had some reliability issues.

If you wanna do it go for it, thats pretty much what I did, get the cab first and wait to sell my laney for something better.

Ive not tried the marshall, i hear its pretty mediocre, look into the new mini Matamps, Laney Lionheart, Orange TH30, Used Vox AC30 head.

You dont need a 50 watt amp for small gigs and band practice, 15+ watt valve will do it fine.
Lower impedance cab is the worst way around, Becky
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by beckyjc
Well not just that, mismatching impedance can totally blow your amp, depends on how well made it is to weather it can handle it, i hear doubling the impedance is less risky than halving it (It might be the other way around, i cant remember, sure someone else will tell you).

My Vc30 blew its OT when i was doing the tube pulling trick and I halved the impedance... But it was before i got the cab anyway and it was one of the older ones, which had some reliability issues.

If you wanna do it go for it, thats pretty much what I did, get the cab first and wait to sell my laney for something better.

Ive not tried the marshall, i hear its pretty mediocre, look into the new mini Matamps, Laney Lionheart, Orange TH30, Used Vox AC30 head.

You dont need a 50 watt amp for small gigs and band practice, 15+ watt valve will do it fine.

Thanks for the help. I'm really liking the look of Marshalls and that seems the cheapest head that they do that's any good. I'm willing to go used so I could look at various options but I've only really seen the Dual Terror and the MA50H that look close to what I want

I know I don't need 50W but it's the tone I'm after.. the added wattage is just a bonus. It has to have some clean headroom as well so I was just worried that 15W like a tiny terror wouldn't give me that.

I want something that will also take pedals well as I will be purchasing a Big Muff Pi no matter what.
When you're at band practice, is it volume you're concerned about, or CLEAN volume?
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by LaidBack
When you're at band practice, is it volume you're concerned about, or CLEAN volume?

Both really. I want to make sure that whatever cab I buy is going to be "loud" enough to be heard.
Well "loud" depends on where your volume knob is set...for a louder clean, you need more headroom, which means more wattage. Also, don't go for the MA50....played it for almost an hour, couldn't get a tone out of it that wasn't harsh, fizzy or muddy.

So, instead of buying a head and cab that you hope might be loud enough, why not look for a 1x12 combo with higher wattage. Do you use the amp's distortion or offboard pedals and such?
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
I'll be using offboard pedals mainly so it has to take pedals well but I'd like the amp to have a nice clean with good headroom like I say
I want it to be good at low volumes (for bedroom practice) and then be loud enough for band practice/small gigs
Like I said earlier I'm looking for is a John Frusciante (Chili Peppers) mainly Stadium Arcadium, Led Zeppelin, Oasis (classic rock)
From what I see the Orange Thunder 30 Combo is probably the closest thing I'm going to get. Are there any other suggestions though? (Has to be 1x12 if I get a combo as I don't have room for anything more within my bedroom)
Thanks
Sounds like a great option, but Oranges are somewhat "darker" than Marshalls, so try one out if you can. In fact, try out a bunch of things before making a decision.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals