Hey guys I'm buying my first electric guitar and I need some advice. Does anyone know any good amps for $250 and under?
A Peavey Vypyr 30w is about 200 and will provide everything you need pretty much.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
vox ac4tv
Quote by Mauri_wario
I would indeed "fap that thaing", but my dog is looking at me and it feels highly iinappropriate.
I forgot to mention I mostly play stuff like the Strokes, Billy Talent and Aerosmith. Also I wont be gigging either.
Quote by BladeSlinger
A Peavey Vypyr 30w is about 200 and will provide everything you need pretty much.

not this. fender mustang/d-dec 3 r the only modeling amps i would ever suggest
Quote by ramram^_^
I forgot to mention I mostly play stuff like the Strokes, Billy Talent and Aerosmith. Also I wont be gigging either.

If you won't be gigging you might want to look for a small tube combo
I hate my sig
Quote by andrerist

Have you even tried the Vypyrs?

I wasn't widely impressed with the Mustang... but in this case, it'd probably be a better fit for the styles, but saying it's a bad amp is just plain dumb. Haven't tried the G-Dec 3, but I didn't like the older versions at all

TS - Since this is your first amp, I would suggest a modeling amp, only because this way, you will be able to decide what tones you like, what effects you like and if you've changed styles in a few months, you're not stuck with an amp that can't do what you want.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Jul 13, 2011,
billy talent is EPIXXX!!!!

+ for the VT
Quote by RetroGunslinger
using nines for drop C# is like stringing the guitar with spaghetti

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Mesa/Boogie Simul 295 Stereo
Framus FR212 v30
I'd consider the Fender Vibro Champ XD, though it's worth spending the little extra to get the Super Champ XD instead. As far as indie-esque tones and '60s/'70s rock go, it's hard to beat in it's price range imo.
i would get a VT 15 / 20

and a Yamaha Parfitica ( if able )

I highly suggest a Stratocaster ( nothing expensive.. )
Quote by RetroGunslinger

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Framus FR212 v30
If it's your first amp, a modeling amp of some sort. And at that price it honestly doesn't matter the brand, they are all entry level amps with entrie level sound. But they do a multitude of sounds and FX in a portalbe package.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by daverichards
fender mustang or vox valvetronix amps..

+1

I just got a Vox AD50VT for $200 and love it to bits. I don't think you can go wrong with the Valvetronix line. They're really versatile. However, I have heard that the VT+ series is cheaply built and there are quite a few complaints online about a "snare brush" noise and hiss. If you go with that you should really consider getting an extended warranty for it.
I think the Roland Cube 40XL is the best solution. I got mine yesterday and it's awesome!
Quote by Edward1892
I think the Roland Cube 40XL is the best solution. I got mine yesterday and it's awesome!

for billy talent a VT or XD is better...
Quote by RetroGunslinger

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Framus FR212 v30
The Roland cube 40xl would be a great first amp. I've got the cube 15x and it has suited me well for four years. Ive had no problems with it so far.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Quote by kutless999
The Roland cube 40xl would be a great first amp. I've got the cube 15x and it has suited me well for four years. Ive had no problems with it so far.

AS I SAID BEFORE:

the TS wanted for billy talent, the strokes etc

and the cube is more for metal...

for the lighter genres: get a VT or a XD!!

take this advise, or leave it.

It's just what i would do

PS: LOVES what 311 said in your quote
Quote by RetroGunslinger

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Framus FR212 v30
Quote by andrerist

Is this gonna be like a new thing? There's been a strange amount of Vypyr hate the past few days.

Anyway, for what you play TS, check out a Vox VT... not too familiar with the Vox's, or if the new VT+ series would be better... but I know that the Vox modelers tend to be better at lower gain tones.

The Vypyr is a great amp though. It can nail pretty much any sort of style you throw at it.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
My new(factory resealed) Peavey Vypyr 75 will be here Friday. It retails 299.99 but mine was 260. Plus the pay as you play scheme on zzounds. I got my guitar and amp from them. Well technicaly I didn't get the amp yet but its coming.

I asked the same question as you($300) and the answers I got were fender mustang, Peavey vypyr, and Roland cube.

After extensive youtubeage....it should be obvious what I chose.
Epiphone LP100 (Ebony)
Peavey Vypyr 75
Quote by TheQuailman
I'd consider the Fender Vibro Champ XD, though it's worth spending the little extra to get the Super Champ XD instead. As far as indie-esque tones and '60s/'70s rock go, it's hard to beat in it's price range imo.

Came in here to suggest this as soon as indie was mentioned
Peavey Vypyrs are good, but they only have a few good clean sounds - all kinds of dirty, distorted, overdriven and high gain sounds. I like the Vox Valvetronix a little better, personally. Even better, find an amp with a decent base clean tone and get a Vox ToneLab ST multi effects pedal.
Thanks for the help everyone! I've checked out the amps and I think that I might get the VT, Vibro Champ XD, or the Mustang. Any other suggestions are welcome.
Last edited by ramram^_^ at Jul 15, 2011,
I have a flextone 3..I love it. They can be had within that price range thanks to every one thinking line 6 is crap.However every one agrees that a vetta is great...well a flextone is a vetta based amp. And my opinion kills most modelers and feels like a real giggable amp..plus it has xlr's and extension cab outputs also an effects loop. You can even use it as a clean power amp if you put a dummy plug in the imput and run yor effects unit into the efects loop
Last edited by dlowe102 at Jul 15, 2011,
Quote by dlowe102
I have a flextone 3..I love it. They can be had within that price range thanks to every one thinking line 6 is crap.However every one agrees that a vetta is great...well a flextone is a vetta based amp. And my opinion kills most modelers and feels like a real giggable amp..plus it has xlr's and extension cab outputs also an effects loop. You can even use it as a clean power amp if you put a dummy plug in the imput and run yor effects unit into the efects loop

everyone KNOWS only the sprider-series suck, allthough they are a good starter amp IMO
Quote by RetroGunslinger

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Framus FR212 v30