better pickups man allways better pickups the stock epi's in a special 2 arent that great at all
personally I play a dimarzio paf 36th ann. bridge pickup
and a gibson 490r neck love the way they sound in my epi lp standard
next go for coil tapping for a greater tonal range as well as upgrade the potentiometers to higher quality ones.
next step get some grovers like the higher epiphone models they help allot. other than that the guitar will be fine trust me i took my first squire strat and hot rodded it to be one of the best sounding guitars ive ever played its all setup and electronics if you plan it right. also the better tuners do help trust me
I have an idea. Sell it for firewood and get a nice guitar.

Epi LP Special II's are horrid guitars. It's a waste of money to put good hardware on one of them.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by Linkerman
I have an idea. Sell it for firewood and get a nice guitar.

Epi LP Special II's are horrid guitars. It's a waste of money to put good hardware on one of them.

The Epiphone was my first guitar, I now have a Jackson King V, an Ibanez Iceman, a BC Rich DLXJRVO, a Stagg G300, and an Ibanez EW20WNE acoustic. I am also aware it is a horrid guitar, that would be why I want to changes some stuff on it.

Thanks so much for your help!!!
Quote by asmithgdci
The Epiphone was my first guitar, I now have a Jackson King V, an Ibanez Iceman, a BC Rich DLXJRVO, a Stagg G300, and an Ibanez EW20WNE acoustic. I am also aware it is a horrid guitar, that would be why I want to changes some stuff on it.

Thanks so much for your help!!!

My point still stands. A waste of money, i say.
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by Linkerman
My point still stands. A waste of money, i say.

When you're a 12 year old kid its the coolest thing ever, and the best feeling when you get enough money for the horrid guitar you have been saving up for

You simply don't get it, do you?

If the guitar has sentimental value, keep it as it is. You already have "good" guitars anyway...
If you're just looking to improve it, the final result won't be worth the money you're going to spend on it.

If you want to do it, go ahead.
But don't come to a public forum asking for opinions if you're not ready to accept that some people may think that what you want to do isn't a good idea.
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
go for it its a fun learning process and better to do your first mods on a cheaper guitar besides electronics and most hardware can be re used in later projects so its not a waste really dont listen to them just go for it however you like and you might be surprised how good that cheap guitar sounds with some work. most people pay allot for a little why not put in some work and pay a little for allot.
oh and that guitar isnt that bad Ive played worse and with some work special 2's can play just fine. setup is key, if you cant do it yourself have it done professionally ( a bit expensive for that guitar so I suggest reading up and doing it yourself) just a suggestion never work on a dean vendetta the neck pocket isnt worth it I had a friend try to fix one just nothing to be done for it yet that was an individual case.
.... Trade it in for a few packs of strings.

Yeah, its cool when its your first guitar, but why polish a turd when you have many other nicer guitars?
dude, linkerman is trolling you.

OT: the epiphone specials are known for far less than stellar quality, but if you don't want to modify and of your "good" guitars (IMO it would be more worth while to mod them), it would be great.

perhaps use the epi as a leaning platform for mods that you want to do to your nice guitars?
Quote by Duv
And smack an open A chord and hold the body and see if it vibrates like a middle-aged woman's best friend.

Quote by guitarxo
I hope you get raped by a bayonet

Quote by beckyjc
Roland Cube / Vox Valvetronix / Peavey Vypyr / Hitler > Line 6 Spider.
Quote by larson8er
dude, linkerman is trolling you.

OT: the epiphone specials are known for far less than stellar quality, but if you don't want to modify and of your "good" guitars (IMO it would be more worth while to mod them), it would be great.

perhaps use the epi as a leaning platform for mods that you want to do to your nice guitars?

I never trolled anyone, i have better things to do with my time.

Besides, you're essentially agreeing with me... So if there's a troll here, it's you.
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
if you have so many better things to do with your time then why do you waste it responding to someone saying your trolling when you are?
Quote by moral_dilemma66
if you have so many better things to do with your time then why do you waste it responding to someone saying your trolling when you are?

I have better things to do with my time than trolling.

I enjoy regular posting (as in non-trolling) here on UG.
For me, giving my opinion and trying to help anyone who asks isn't a waste of time, at all.
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by Linkerman
I have better things to do with my time than trolling.

I enjoy regular posting (as in non-trolling) here on UG.
For me, giving my opinion and trying to help anyone who asks isn't a waste of time, at all.

TROLL, TROLL, TROLL YOUR BOAT, GENTLY DOWN THE STREAM.
Seriously, you aren't helping anyone and you're just showing your ass. GTFO, please.

OT: replacing the pickups and then rewiring would make great practice for modding your nice guitars in the future. And it could revive your Epi, and make it sound nicer than it does with the horrible factory pups.
Quote by Duv
And smack an open A chord and hold the body and see if it vibrates like a middle-aged woman's best friend.

Quote by guitarxo
I hope you get raped by a bayonet

Quote by beckyjc
Roland Cube / Vox Valvetronix / Peavey Vypyr / Hitler > Line 6 Spider.
Quote by asmithgdci
When you're a 12 year old kid its the coolest thing ever, and the best feeling when you get enough money for the horrid guitar you have been saving up for

i got yer back man
i still own my first guitar
much cheaper than yours too
a first act 3/4 GA style i keep it around
but i cant play it (fret spacing is too tiny)
Quote by larson8er
TROLL, TROLL, TROLL YOUR BOAT, GENTLY DOWN THE STREAM.
Seriously, you aren't helping anyone and you're just showing your ass. GTFO, please.

OT: replacing the pickups and then rewiring would make great practice for modding your nice guitars in the future. And it could revive your Epi, and make it sound nicer than it does with the horrible factory pups.

You really don't know what trolling is, do you?

If you are going to do anything to it, I would not throw money at it. Just do some things that require little to no money, as in: alternate wiring schemes.

Its not just the pickups that make it sound bad, the low-quality wood and neck joint also attribute to that. On top of that, it has a low-quality neck that, IMO is uncomfortable to play and the bad frets make sound issues, plus the hardware is less than desireable.
Quote by Wylde_Life
You really don't know what trolling is, do you?

If you are going to do anything to it, I would not throw money at it. Just do some things that require little to no money, as in: alternate wiring schemes.

Its not just the pickups that make it sound bad, the low-quality wood and neck joint also attribute to that. On top of that, it has a low-quality neck that, IMO is uncomfortable to play and the bad frets make sound issues, plus the hardware is less than desireable.

Glad to see someone who actually knows what he's talking about.
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
I can understand where your comming from wanting to mod your 1st guitar and keep it going nice. But I would take the Budget route with mods and parts.

I have a late 70's LP clone that was my first guitar.got it about 1991 and it sounds good still to this day. But I have replaced the Tuners ,p/u's, all the electronics, complete Re-fret. And all so I could keep playing it, but I did'nt blow $$ on super expensive parts. I bought mine from GFS and everything ran me about $125( not including the re-fret that cost me a Carver 1.5mp power amp!).

So I say go for it and it will teach you alot about how your guitar works. No that is not a desirable guitar, but you could make it play and sound pretty diecent with little money with thw right mods.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by asmithgdci

honestly, i would replace the wiring, replace the pickups and tuners,

and get a good graphtech nut on there.

for the pickups and tuners, look at guitarfetish.com. for the wiring, look at wcr, or someone else who sells kits.

and for the nut, of course always go with graphtech.

i did all that to my epi invader (which is similar to the special2) and all of it cost me like 200 bucks, and i use it all the time. i put a dream 90 and mean 90 in there, and its totally my classic rock guitar.
I say change the pickups, maybe the tuners, and slap some sort of tremolo on that baby! This is a good idea man, don't listen to the guys that say it aint, it's good practice, my first guitar was a peavey made from plywood lmao terrible guitar, but it built me up to where I am today so I still respect it!