Yes, a metronome is just as key as a tuner in your musical equipment inventory. It will help you build speed and achieve better accuracy.
Thank you, I would definitely agree. Any specific models you are partial to?
This just proves speed is not everything, at 600 bpm it sounded like a mass lump of mixed poo, you couldn't' make out any notes, and I doubt if he actually played all the notes.

Why is flight of the bumblebee's the song of choice to show off peoples speed?
Quote by Skullivan
Yes, a metronome is just as key as a tuner in your musical equipment inventory. It will help you build speed and achieve better accuracy.

Not necessarily
Quote by ethan_hanus
This just proves speed is not everything, at 600 bpm it sounded like a mass lump of mixed poo, you couldn't' make out any notes, and I doubt if he actually played all the notes.

that's what i was thinking. it's so fast you wouldn't really know if he played it right or not because the notes last for less time than a muted string sustains for and your brain just can't calculate it at that rate.. i doubt even he knows if he played it right once it got to about 400bpm...

there comes a point where speed has absolutely no application in music whatsoever, and i think we've found it - it's just too fast for your ears to take in the information and doesn't sound like music at all. at least you can sometimes hear the notes steve vai plays
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Quote by ethan_hanus

I know this!
It's just easy to play the chromatics. And the fingerings aren't difficult. The notes come out easier than other licks. Just the same way people like to sweep and say they are playing very fast..

I thought to myself I would never play the Flight of the Bumblebee at speed. It's actually the easiest song to play at great speed.

What people forget is that speed is only something you use if it's necessary. It's a tool. Good music can be achieved without it.

Still I love speed, so long as it's interesting and sounds good.
On playing the Paul Gilbert signature at the guitar store extensively, my missus sighed:
"Put it down now, It's like you love that guitar more than me!"
In Which I replied.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"
Quote by Zeletros
Not necessarily

What do you mean? I'm sure millions of guitarists enhanced their speed with the help of metronomes. They probably weren't the ONLY thing they used, but it definitely helped.
Quote by ethan_hanus

It's what the previous record holder used, so they had to use it again to make sure the techniques were the same.

And apparently guinness slows down the playing afterwards and checks to make sure that he actually hit every note.
If you want to talk about some guy playing really fast, post in the pit.
If you want to know about metronomes, post in GG&A.
If you want to know about technique/speed improvement, post in guitar techniques.

Don't mix the three, please. They're three different topics, one of which just creates arguments about whether fast playing is stupid or boring.