hi all, need input as currently still choosing in between these, i am looking for amp not gigging just casual jam with friend. however wondering vetta combo vs HD147 or spider valve 4x12 as their within similar price range.

i play metallica, alter bridge and stuff. i playd flextone before but due to its open back speaker combo, unable to get the low end chugga chugga tone. however according to shop retailer the head with 4x12 can easily get low end palm mute chugging stuff..

pardon me, but i have micro cube and i really like its rfier tone, therefore looking for similar rfier tone if u know what i mean...

any idea or opinion?thx y'all....
I have the Spider valve mk1 and it is a great amp, but it still is somewhat lacking. The sounds are good, but are only about 90% of the tones they replicate. I used mine exclusively for almost 2 yrs and had no bad sound nights. The SV mk1 uses POD 2.0 engine, while the mk2 used the POD XT engine.

The HD147 is a striped down Vetta 1 all the models are vetta models, so they sound very good. I really have no experiance with it.

The Vetta is awesome, but a buddy of mine has one and it is very complicated. The sounds are great, almost spot on.

But in the end I would go with the SV just because the tubes really do warm that amp up. But you need to try it. I bought a Bugera 333 and it sounds way better than the sv I have, not near as versitile, but the clean and hi-gain is nicer because it is all tube and not a hybrid.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
hey, yup actually i have a mesa express with me currently and with low bedroom volume, it sjust a big NONO for me, therefore not giong for tube anymore, and i had bogner alchemist, bugera 6260 before, the alchemist was not for metal, and bugera was totally un-playable as i kept the volume below 0.02 or so...

and although ppl recomend me latest blackstar ht1 or ht 5, as well as engl gigmaster, however i am not sure whether to go with it as its all tube and to me its just pointless to have it and constantly keep volume below 0.02...
if you dont want a tube amp then id go with the vetta
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
yeah the SV has two volumes none and loud as crap. If you really just need an amp for home use, look into the Flextone series they are great and you can find them pretty cheap on Ebay.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I love my SV. It does everything I need it to do and sounds great!
Guitar/bass/mandolin stuff:
PRS SE Custom 24
PRS SE Paul Allender
Martin DCX1E
Squire Start
Memphis Bass
Johnson Savannah mando

Amp/effects/misc:
Digitech RP1000
Line 6 Spider Valve 212
Toneport Studio KB37

check out my last.fm!
Any reason you're only looking at modelers?

Having owned 2 Vettas and a SV, I can confidently say... Get a Peavey Vypyr 60 if you want modeling
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
have you thought about buying a line 6 pod and just using headphones?
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
The HD147 sounds the best out of those, but no FX. Vetta would be next in line.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by MatrixClaw

Having owned 2 Vettas and a SV, I can confidently say... Get a Peavey Vypyr 60 if you want modeling

What he said. Vypyr tubes are some of the best moddlers out there.
Quote by Offworld92
The HD147 sounds the best out of those, but no FX. Vetta would be next in line.

Why do you say that...? The Vetta has all the amp models the HD147 has, plus a crapload more, and a tone of effects.

The only thing the HD147 has over the Vetta, is it looks cooler
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
No budget?

AxeFX II + monitor speakers?

In a pinch, I'd definitely go for the Vypyr or a Pod HD + monitor if you want high gain modeling.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
just negate the spider series completely. vetta's are nice but try to get your hands on a flextone if u can. great freaking amps. either those 2 or for a higher budget pod HD
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by EspTro
just negate the spider series completely.

Great show of ignorance of Line 6's products. Other than the name, the Spider Valve is completed unrelated to the Spider practice amps. The SV uses the Pod 2.0 or XT series of preamps, not the crappy Spider preamp.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
ide of with the vetta, but mostly because its what the faceless used on at least one if not both of their albums, and their tone is amazing.
Quote by MatrixClaw

MC gets it right as usual.

Grab a VT, the one with a powertube dunno the model if you want lower gain.
Quote by MatrixClaw
Why do you say that...? The Vetta has all the amp models the HD147 has, plus a crapload more, and a tone of effects.

The only thing the HD147 has over the Vetta, is it looks cooler

I thought the HD147 had updated models from the Vetta? I could has sworn I read that somewhere.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
I thought the HD147 had updated models from the Vetta? I could has sworn I read that somewhere.

Nope.

You can update the Vetta 1 software to 2.5, so even if they were updated from the Vetta 1, it doesn't matter.

The HD147 doesn't have nearly as much editing features either. It's a stripped down Vetta with all the "metal" models on it. As far as I remember, you can't use 2 amp models at once on the HD147 like you can on the Vetta, either.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Jul 14, 2011,
Alright, good to know.

Have you messed around with the new DT50 at all, by any chance?

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Hi.. reason getting modeler as for the convenient. as home player high end tube is not practical for me after having few tube amp. and they cost alot in my place...

also check peavey vypyr price over here isnt that 'friendly' compare to other SS practice amp. Therefore wondering whether its a go... hmmm...

the new DT50 is expensive as hell, and base on 4 line6 demo, its not that bad though.
Where are you? There should be no reason for the Vypyr to be significantly more expensive than a Cube.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Hi... fyi im from singapore... and bigger size vypyr does really pricier than spider. its like u can get spider hd150 with 4x12 for the price of smaller vypyr combo.
Where are you buying from? I did not remember Swee Lee to be selling the Peavey Vypyr that expensively.

Also, the SpiderIV 150 is not a good amp.

If you're talking about this one
http://www.citymusic.com.sg/webshaper/store/viewProd.asp?pkProductItem=134

You can easily get a Peavey Vypyr for that price and still have change left over IIRC.

Alternatively, if you want a Spider Valve MkI, I know someone who has one for sale.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by ragingkitty
Great show of ignorance of Line 6's products. Other than the name, the Spider Valve is completed unrelated to the Spider practice amps. The SV uses the Pod 2.0 or XT series of preamps, not the crappy Spider preamp.

I'm not hopping the bandwaggon man. What i meant was given the options he has available there are better amps that he can shoot for. And i didn't like the spider valve personally
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Having owned a series 1 vetta for 6 years, heres my run down

Pros- Bang for your buck, more than enough volume to happily jam/gig with, reliable, not really overly complicated as some think. Lots of ins and outs for direct recording/playing with headphones/midi, ect.

Cons- The combo is a big amp, fairly heavy and bulky. There are some volume concerns for bedroom practice as the volume goes from nothing to full boar. I mean you can practice with it at volume in your bedroom, just depends on several factors. Didn't really have good luck using headphones with the amp, either. Overdriven tones take a while to tweak right, and still are a smidge lackluster. Cleans are decent, amp is very bass-heavy, too.

You can find these for around $400-$600 used. Depending on what else you may want to try, it still isn't a terrible deal if it fits your needs. Just make sure to spend some time with one before committing.