Just a random question: Do you prefer to keep the back plate on your strat or do you prefer to take it off and just leave it as an open cavity?
From a thread asking if it is safe to tell someone the serial number on your amp:
Quote by JAHellraiser
omg dont do it! he can hack your amp get the b00tiful t00b t0anz
Off.

I don't know anyone who keeps it on.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
I never took mine off.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
On. I don't want to accidentally touch the springs, because the last time I did, my high e string broke.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Quote by kutless999
On. I don't want to accidentally touch the springs, because the last time I did, my high e string broke.

Hahahahahaha thats never happened to me. But my dad has this strange paranoid feeling that one day I'm going to electrocute myself on the grounding wire.
From a thread asking if it is safe to tell someone the serial number on your amp:
Quote by JAHellraiser
Quote by Darth_jacob22
Hahahahahaha thats never happened to me. But my dad has this strange paranoid feeling that one day I'm going to electrocute myself on the grounding wire.

You can't get electrocuted if the guitar cable is not plugged into an amp that's turned on.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
on/off. i can't tell any difference
@jecox ssssoooo ssweeeet that whole set up is so sweet. If I had any distortion/delay setup it would be the akai headrush and BM. Awesome set up.

on. dont want shit like my sweaty, nasty shirt getting in the springs and ****ing them up.
"When losers say it's over with you know that it's a lie
The gods made heavy metal and it's never gonna die"
Quote by kutless999
You can't get electrocuted if the guitar cable is not plugged into an amp that's turned on.

...? I think thats the idea...
Quote by JAHellraiser
Quote by jecox13
on/off. i can't tell any difference

I heard somewhere that if you remove the plate it can reduce pick-up noise. But I've been told several times that it doesnt make a difference on strats.
Quote by JAHellraiser
on, I actually just changed mine from white to black, don't know why but I just don't like the springs showing.
Off, the same with my Ibanez S420. I don't gig atm, but when I do I put them back on to keep the sweat and the beer away from the springs.
I like keeping it off (dont have a strategy but its "strat style" and i find my shirt mutes extra spring noise :p
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
depends, i have a few guitars with strat trems. whether i keep the plate on or off depends on whether the string slots in the sustain block line up with the holes on the plate correctly. i just find it's a bit of a pain to have to unscrew the plate every time i change strings because the plate gets in the way..
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
For me the way i see it...if you're desperate enough for that minimal increase in tone...then your strat isn;t really good enough..(and that doesn;t depend on money).. My friend whom i jam with regulary has an american strat with back off... I have a modified sx strat (back on) that actualy sounds much better then his (and only cost me 50 euro and 100 euro in mods..)..

So in summary, back on or off, difference is minimal and won't make a crap guitar into a great one..

For the sake of tidiness i keep the plates on..
Follow me on twitter!!
@Stuie93

100% Irish and proud

Glory glory Man Utd
._. after I kept having to adjust the tremelo I just left it off for sake of convenience.
Quote by Hunter2081

So in summary, back on or off, difference is minimal and won't make a crap guitar into a great one..

It's debatable if there is a difference at all. Adding a extra half ounce of material probably doesn't change the tone at all. I think most people remove it for convenience.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Fender Excelsior 13w
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Off, just preference nothing to do with tone, and I own a American Standard Strat

Guitars:
Fender American Standard Strat 2009 Limited Edition
Ibanez Gak30

Amps
Jcm 800 2203 '82

Pedals:
John bull jr overdrive
Boss Equalizer GE-7
Boss TU-3
Boss CH1

My Band
http://www.myspace.com/hereliesnuggetband
Vintage mint colored ones sound best.
Various Strats
Polytone Mini Brute
Koch Studiotone XL
Swart STR Tweed
Quilter 101 Reverb and Mini
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1
Quote by Vulcan
Vintage mint colored ones sound best.

Obviously the Mint Green pickguards sound the best (though some people like black ones cause they scope the tone a bit), but with the tremolo plate it's debatable if it even matters.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Fender Excelsior 13w
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Quote by kangaxxter
Obviously the Mint Green pickguards sound the best (though some people like black ones cause they scope the tone a bit), but with the tremolo plate it's debatable if it even matters.

I was always a fan of the tortoise pick guard for the midrange boost. It really helps the strat cut through the mix
I've seen older strats with the backplate removed, and the springs were completely rusted. So... no.
I had some strats over the years and the only one i didnt took the back plate off was on my CUstom Shop Strat.
Quote by Darth_jacob22

The ground wire is connected to the trem claw.
The trem claw is connected to the springs.
The springs are connected to the bridge.
The bridge is connected to the strings.
If it was possible to get electrocuted by touching the ground wire, having the backplate on wouldn't help you. (I couldn't get this line to fit into the format of Dem Bones )

Backplates iz seriouz biznizz. Eric Johnson takes his off
Last edited by littlephil at Jul 14, 2011,
After I got my custom painted strat body back, I bought a trem cover - I just couldn't bring myself to drill any more holes into such beautiful, immaculate paint... besides I like seeing my springs and brass trem block, and its not like I need to protect it (not in a band/gigging).