I'd like to become a lot faster and fluent tapper than I am now. I can tap pretty good on simple hammer-on triads on the high E string, but thats about it. How exactly do you practice your tapping? Is there any tips or patterns you recommend?
I'll pretend I can mod your amp but break it instead.
I would say learning the tapping in Bloodmeat by Protest The Hero helped me become substantially better at tapping.
Well it depends which aspect of tapping you want to be better at: crossing strings? More tapping fingers? More complex patterns? Hammering from nowhere with the fretting hand?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I'm with Macabre_Turtle. If you really want a crash-course in tapping, take a look at Bloodmeat or Sequoia Throne by Protest the Hero. Those two have some pretty intensive tapping runs. If you go slowly and learn to strengthen your fingers and technique, those songs will be a really good workout.
I don't really, I just tap, and when a pattern seems a little difficult, I just practice it for a little bit. This song is great for tapping, and Paul Gilbert is just Facking awesome.

Also try:

Satch Boogie
Aerodynamic (Daft Punk FTW)
NOT Eruption
etc. etc.
Where's Waldo?
Last edited by chadreed32 at Jul 13, 2011,
Learn your scales on each string in larger intervals than you're used to. This is what did it for me, particularly when I was still stuck in boxes. If you can see which notes are in the scale on each individual string, you can write your own patterns based on your needs. You don't need PtH crazy tapping in a classic rock cover band, for example.

But yeah, Sequoia Throne humbled the hell out of me and helped technique-wise all kinds of ways. Plus, it tends to get peoples' attention at guitar shops
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
I was actually learning the tapping to Bloodmeat .

When you guys play Sequioa Throne, do you do the two handed way with a hair band as a muting tool on the strings?
I'll pretend I can mod your amp but break it instead.
dont use a hair band, its a crutch and doesnt work all the time. I know protest the hero uses it but I believe they use it mostly for sweeps (whcih are a pain in the ass to keep in time and mute perfectly). Adding that hair band on your guitar though will just make you lazy and less good at muting all the way around.
Quote by hansome21
dont use a hair band, its a crutch and doesnt work all the time. I know protest the hero uses it but I believe they use it mostly for sweeps (whcih are a pain in the ass to keep in time and mute perfectly). Adding that hair band on your guitar though will just make you lazy and less good at muting all the way around.

Andy James uses it, and hes a Boss... Just saying.
Where's Waldo?
Quote by chadreed32
Andy James uses it, and hes a Boss... Just saying.

Doesn't mean it isn't a crutch...
Quote by GrStMyGn
Doesn't mean it isn't a crutch...

So is someone going to give you a reward of some kind for not using the crutch? I'm all for making your technique as good as possible but really, who the hell cares about that when the sound is what matters?

For the record though, I've seen Andy James live three or four times now and he can do the mad tapping without the mute.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
So is someone going to give you a reward of some kind for not using the crutch? I'm all for making your technique as good as possible but really, who the hell cares about that when the sound is what matters?

For the record though, I've seen Andy James live three or four times now and he can do the mad tapping without the mute.

No. It still doesn't mean it isn't a crutch.

In all fairness I use a foam mute when I try and execute extensive tapping pieces, but thats purely out of laziness in regards to my technique. I'm almost a hundred percent sure that guys like Govan or James just use the hairband as a failsafe or comfort blanket really.
There's a nifty tapping riff in The Crusade by Trivium, it alternates between the high b string and A string plus isn't in a standard 4/4, I'm no tapper but this specific riff got me tapping well pretty quickly. (besides Eruption)

Best way to practice anything is have it relative to a song you like, for me it worked because I dig Trivium but just find a mint riff from a band you like and go for it, whether you have to play it slower than the original or faster it's going to work and be fun to practice.
*shrugs* I don't know...
I almost never practice my tapping specifically, unless its a certain line that I'm trying to get down. If I wanted to add more complex patterns than the interval leaps and very very basic fingerstyle tapping I do already I'm sure I'd need to sit down, examine and practice quite a bit. Although I'd love to be able to compose my own crazy tapping stuff, I feel my fundamentals need more attention.

Great suggestions in this thread though, I'll definitely have to try some of these songs.
PRS SE Custom 24 25th Anniversary
Ibanez RG2EX1
Fender CD220CE Acoustic-Electric
Fender Hot Rod Deville 2x12 60w
I just think using a hair band to mute unwanted string noise on anything less than sweeping is a waste. How hard is it to tap and mute? I mean your right hand is already laying on the strings and most tapping lines only use 2 fingers on your left hand so you have muting possibilities all over...

But if your sweeping or 8 finger tapping, hell go for the hair band.