My cover band is playing a private show this fall at a local place and the venue asks us to guarantee 250 people. The last time we played a show we sold 120 tickets, but only 80 people showed up. The time before, at the same venue, we sol 120 and we got 120. So I guess the turnout is variable, but is there a rule of thumb to estimate how many people should show up vs. the number of tickets sold? Like a percentage...

Thanks!
All the venue really cares about is ticket sales. If 250 people buy tickets and nobody shows up, then you're met your quota.
120?! 250?! Christ I've only played one show in my life, but we were asked to sell 30 tickets, and managed 46.
Quote by Amaseng
All the venue really cares about is ticket sales. If 250 people buy tickets and nobody shows up, then you're met your quota.

Actually, in the contract, there is a penalty we would have to pay if we do not have enough people in the place (since they make most of their money on drinks..). Here in Montreal, most places work this way..
I think that sometimes the venue does care that the people show up because that is additional revenue in drinks, etc.
The real question here is...if you only sold 120 the last two times...how are you going to sell 250!? You have a plan?

This sounds like a good idea for a movie...especially if everyone in your band has wild, conflicting personalities that make us wonder how you could ever possibly be friends in the first place... .
Nothing that is worthwhile in life will ever come easy.
Quote by soviet_ska
The real question here is...if you only sold 120 the last two times...how are you going to sell 250!? You have a plan?

This sounds like a good idea for a movie...especially if everyone in your band has wild, conflicting personalities that make us wonder how you could ever possibly be friends in the first place... .

Yeah we have a plan. We just don't want to have a bad surprise if we sell only 250 and then only 3/4 show up. So we want to oversell a bit, but do not know how many...
I think the biggest concern here is selling 250 tickets. You are a cover band and that's a HUGE audience to guarantee for a show. Perhaps it would be more realistic to negotiate down to 100 tickets sold, even though IMO that's a huge number. I play in a relatively successful and highly professional originals group and although we've drawn audiences in the 300 person range, the highest count we've ever been asked to guarantee is about 50, and we turned the show down.

TL;DR: Screw that venue, find somewhere else to play that doesn't ask you to draw as many people because it's also the venue's responsibility to promote it's music.